U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,446,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

Or they have quality stuff that some people like. It's too expensive to me but I can't argue with the quality.
Or people are sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 AM

467 posts, read 860,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Or people are sheep.

Hey, I'm visiting California right now and we just shopped at Whole Foods for weekend supplies. Organic local blueberries for $1.99/pint. A dozen free range, vegetarian feed eggs for $2.99. Gallon jugs of water for 99 cents. A liter of olive oil for $4. Kale for 99 cents a bunch. A huge selection of locally-baked breads.

You'd be hard-pressed to find such deals for similar-quality items at your local supermarket, unless the stuff is coming from Mexico instead of your local farm. So unless you're going to an area Farmers Market, it seems that Whole Foods does a really good job sourcing local products at a reasonable price because they have economies of scale working in their favor. The trick is to stay away from packaged items like pre-cut fruit or already-grated cheeses and the like. That's where they really hit your wallet.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:40 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Hey, I'm visiting California right now and we just shopped at Whole Foods for weekend supplies. Organic local blueberries for $1.99/pint. A dozen free range, vegetarian feed eggs for $2.99. Gallon jugs of water for 99 cents. A liter of olive oil for $4. Kale for 99 cents a bunch. A huge selection of locally-baked breads.

You'd be hard-pressed to find such deals for similar-quality items at your local supermarket, unless the stuff is coming from Mexico instead of your local farm. So unless you're going to an area Farmers Market, it seems that Whole Foods does a really good job sourcing local products at a reasonable price because they have economies of scale working in their favor. The trick is to stay away from packaged items like pre-cut fruit or already-grated cheeses and the like. That's where they really hit your wallet.
Many west coast prices, especially on fruits and vegetables, are far less than what we'll see here. I see things on other forums like $1.99/gal milk, 5 lb bags of potatoes for a buck, etc., on the west coast. Prices I've only seen here on loss leaders, and certainly not at a store like Whole Foods.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,091,986 times
Farmer's Markets are great. Unless it's too hot or too cold or raining or snowing or too crowded or they had a bad week and have a bad selection. If liking consistency, convenience and comfort makes me a sheep, then baaaaaaaaaaah!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,788,121 times
Quote:
.... If liking consistency, convenience and comfort makes me a sheep, then baaaaaaaaaaah!
But if one really wants local fresh seasonal organic food, then this is what one must be willing to accept to walk the walk. A place that would sell food grown on the other side of the planet and trucked here at great environment expense just so someone can eat their out of season food, is really no better than the local supermarkets that do exactly the same thing. They have better marketing and that is just about it.

A generation or so ago, diets changed throughout the year to accommodate what could be grown at that time. This is what it means to eat locally sourced food. Here in the South, I see no need for a national corporate chain such as Whole Foods if this is what people's intent are that shop there.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:58 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,446,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post

I wonder how much radiation those foodstuffs contain.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM

128 posts, read 356,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
The difference is their all cheaper than WF!
I wish that was true on the priceses being less. We just moved down from NJ where we lived outside of Princeton which had a 60,000 sq ft WF complete with a huge hot and cold bar, juice bar and an amazing carving station. a Trader's Joe was across the street fom WF.

We read the Charlotte boards and believed that fresh market and earth fare are similar and less expensive. I respectfully disagree. While EF and FM are OK and EF has good selection of organic, these stores are no where near WF quality or price. An example would be a head of kale. WF is almost 1.50 cheaper than EF. I will say that I do like the philosophy of EF on kids eating free one night a week and they have a 5% seniors discount which WF does not do.

I have to admit that that was our final criteria in moving to Charlotte that WF is coming to Southpark, since we have been shoppers for a long Time.

We do love the Matthews Farmers marker!

Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,136,017 times
Quote:
Farmer's Markets are great. Unless it's too hot or too cold or raining or snowing or too crowded or they had a bad week and have a bad selection. If liking consistency, convenience and comfort makes me a sheep, then baaaaaaaaaaah!
We saw a guy from one of the farm stands at Costco last weekend loading up on produce. Y'all keep giving them your money, though!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 AM

37 posts, read 66,343 times
Also WF's has a lot more to offer than just produce and food. I will be a sheep to whole foods with no shame because when I shop whether it be groceries or anything else the experience matters to me...Im just not a farmers market kind of girl...Look into WF's inventory and you will see that they have a whole lot more to offer than just food and produce also. I get hair care products, skin care, vitamins and the list goes on...I like WF's and yes some things can be a little pricey but if it doesn't bother me then it shouldn't bother anyone else...just choose to shop elsewhere. I didn't post this thread to get ideas on where else I should want to shop besides whole foods because of this reason that reason and the other..I wanted to know where I could go that was as much like it as possible because I like it. Thank u everyone else for your suggestions that were really to help and not put down for personal preference

Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 AM

385 posts, read 767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
We saw a guy from one of the farm stands at Costco last weekend loading up on produce. Y'all keep giving them your money, though!
Thats hilarious!

I don't buying anything from the farmers mkt that doesn't come directly out of a p/u truck that is at least 20 years old and loaded to the windows with whatever it is (corn, tomatoes, watermelons, etc). Oh yeah the guy selling it has to at least act like he's never heard of an atm card before and have the biggest wad of crinkled up $1 bills taht are as old as the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte