Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM

25 posts, read 64,120 times

Advertisements

Mid 40s, single male. Self-employed and financially secure, can live anywhere in Charlotte area. I am moving from NYC. I am really looking at the City Center-Uptown-4th Ward area, but am curious as to whether or not it is full of younger, 20ish partying types (which I am not anymore). Is there a good culture scene there? Older single people in my age group? Thoughts?

This move is due to family, I have parents in Charlotte who are not getting any younger and I have decided to be nearer to them.

If not City Center, I am open to any and all suggestions. I prefer to be "in the middle of it all."

Thanks if you can help, am moving next month and I know nothing except for what I learned past few hours reading this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 PM

958 posts, read 1,725,001 times
Each building is different in Uptown, so be careful when you choose to live.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,572 times
Fourth ward is a more historic neighborhood that is several blocks from two main entertainment districts in Uptown. Uptown itself is overall a small area, especially when compared to any of the boroughs of NYC. There are many new condo developments that have gone up in and around Uptown in the last few years, so whether you want a high rise modern condominium, or a more traditional row house type neighborhood, you will definitely find something that suits you. Check out Find Your Center Charlotte information on living in Uptown, and a pretty comprehensive list of the larger condominium developments.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
What about that big pink condo high rise right outside of 277. By the pancake place

Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
What about that big pink condo high rise right outside of 277. By the pancake place
The Arlington is nice, but I like the shorter buildings near it better.
All sizes | Passing Train | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbtuohy/5449072517/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
LOL! "That big pink building...by the pancake place" makes it sound so appealing!! For some reason, the Arlington never gets much love on this site. I worked in the commercial building in front of the condos for a very short time but loved it. We all quickly became regulars at Nikko, the incredible sushi restaurant on the bottom level. Honestly, I think the OP would be happy in any of the places that have been suggested. Coming from NYC, you're used to not having a yard, having close quarters with neighbors. I'm jealous. if I could live uptown, I would.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM

119 posts, read 247,391 times
Fifth and Poplar is a first-class condo building with 24-hour concierge and a nice coffee cafe for residents plus plenty of other amenities. One of the biggest bonuses is that there's a grocery store directly below. I used to live there, and I loved it (honestly, I miss the conveniences now that I have moved to SouthEnd). It is in the middle of everything, and there is a good mix of ages in the complex...everything from young professionals to retirees.

F&P has had it's known problems with water intrusion, but a lawsuit against a subcontractor was apparently recently settled to remediate that. It's looking better for that property now as far as that goes, and the prices for the units are cheap for what you can get in that location, comparatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: