Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times

Advertisements

We've got 5 of them back so far and all are marked "No Change", even the one that went up 360%. Who else has got them back so far and what are your results? Thoughts?

I now have even less faith in this whole revaluation thing considering we sent in pictures of the properties in question, along with photos of comps and detailed letter stating why the tax value is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
Haven't heard back yet, but my appeal for a fairly small reduction was based on the square footage of my house being wrong in the County's database. That is disappointing.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM

359 posts, read 591,891 times
Must be on the "wrong" side of town

Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Curious... Did anyone turn in an appeal accompanied by a recent certified appraisal?

We just closed on a house and the tax value is over $150K, but the appraisal came in at about $104K. Just curious if the tax value with adjust on its own, or if we have to appeal it. Have certified appraisal in hand.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
No appraisals in round one. There will be appraisals in the next round though. If you rent, look to be paying more or getting a lot less for your money in some areas. It ain't looking good.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Yep, ours came back denied and no change. If I want to pursue it, I have to order an appraisal.

We are just going to sell next year and move. I am disgusted with how they handled this reval.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
We just closed on a house and the tax value is over $150K, but the appraisal came in at about $104K. Just curious if the tax value with adjust on its own, or if we have to appeal it. Have certified appraisal in hand.
Once it gets it's current tax value, it won't change until the county goes through this process again. You should appeal it as that is a significant difference.

IMO, the whole county appraisal process was nothing but a scam to get more taxes out of people. The county gave CMS a ton of money, gave all the gubment workers a raise and they are spending money again like water passing through a sieve. This isn't going to change until the people get out and vote out these incumbents that have sat in this position year after year.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Curious... Did anyone turn in an appeal accompanied by a recent certified appraisal?

You didn't say what you paid for the house. I assume $104K? Sales and comps are the biggest indicators.

Not sure what you can expect starting off now. It might be too late. Dial 311 to ask.

The problem with your appraisal is that if you just closed then the document is based on data after the first of the year. The assessor doesn't care what the value is NOW he cares what it was on 1/1/11 and it's going to be hard to get someone to certify the past.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You didn't say what you paid for the house. I assume $104K? Sales and comps are the biggest indicators.

Not sure what you can expect starting off now. It might be too late. Dial 311 to ask.

The problem with your appraisal is that if you just closed then the document is based on data after the first of the year. The assessor doesn't care what the value is NOW he cares what it was on 1/1/11 and it's going to be hard to get someone to certify the past.
Paid $94.500 for it. As of 1/1/11, it was forfeited back to the bank - for whatever that is worth.

Thank you to everyone for the info. I'll start looking into this.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

The date of the appraisal is key when using it to argue your tax value. A qualified real estate appraiser can do an appraisal 'as of January 1, 2011' which is the date of tax revaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte