U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving life View Post
Hi ya all,

Well It sounds like we need to cancel our visit next week. We are suppose to fly across the entire country to see Charlotte?? We are suppose to meet our realtor out in your neck of the woods..and search for an overall easier way of life and cost of living...BUT ya all out in Charlotte got's me scratching my head...So it does NOT sound to be any SLOWER, LESS CROWDED, CHEAPER..utility bills, taxes, insurance etc....Well, I just confirmed I can not cancel my flight for a refund! I guess I can still come out your way and going fishing? You still have fishing? Or have all of the newcomers taken that away as well.............bummed in CA.

You know, it's all relative. I wouldn't let any of what you read here bum you out. Insead, wait till you get here to form your own opinions. From where you are coming from this could be a huge improvement, even with the problems we have here. Avoiding the most overcrowded areas is really not hard - you just have to be willing to buy resale instead of new development. And if you haven't seen me say this before, I will say it again, water bills are much cheaper in Charlotte than in Union county right now. And even living in Charlotte I think our insurance rates are very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,441,104 times
Coming from CA myself---it is MUCH more affordable living here! Overcrowded...not even close to most of CA. Yes, there are areas but those are easily avoided. Over all the price of living here isn't even close to trying to survive CA price of living.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 50,177 times
cynwldkat,
thanks for the info...we are in the San Diego area...WE HAVE THE BEST WEATHER IN THE STATES..but not much else really. So what are some areas that you are aware of that are VERY GOOD FOR families with kids in High school....If you know of some very good towns please let us know..thanks!!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,441,104 times
Lovinglife, You would probably get a much better answer regarding this from "Lovesmountains". Obviously she has been around these parts a lot longer then I have. I can only honestly say the cost of living here is so much more affordable especially if you are in San Diego. It will amaze you. But for the other information about schools I'm sure Lovesmountains can help you there. I have noticed it seems most everywhere here in NC people are VERY family oriented. So very different then in CA.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Lovinglife, You would probably get a much better answer regarding this from "Lovesmountains". Obviously she has been around these parts a lot longer then I have. I can only honestly say the cost of living here is so much more affordable especially if you are in San Diego. It will amaze you. But for the other information about schools I'm sure Lovesmountains can help you there. I have noticed it seems most everywhere here in NC people are VERY family oriented. So very different then in CA.
Thanks for the vote of confidence cyn

Lovinglife, if you would like to tell us your price range some of us can recommend particular neighborhoods for you to look in with the best public school assignments.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,013 times
I think my only concern for the trailers would be the condition. If you are concerned about the safetty , via ramp damage, or what not, I would bring it up to the school. The trailers themselves don't concern me so much. It is growing pains.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 AM

34 posts, read 97,917 times
Unhappy If you have Children- School Research is Key...

I just moved this summer from Union Co. (job relo)after 4 yrs. Charlotte is a great city, for NC. Having lived in other large cities around the country, you have to put everything into perspective. Is the grass ever really greener? We have middle/hs aged kids too- and I will tell you this was a real headach for us. The public schools in Western Union Co. and southern Mecklenburg Co. are very overcrowded. My kids would have attended the newly opened Marvin hs/middle school this year, because we were ridistricted out of the Weddington school cluster. Now my old neighbors are under threat of being reannexed again to a new cluster (Cuthbertson) coming under construction. Do your homework and thouroughly investigate the county school web sites. Ask direct questions about your school assignment and thouroughly consider their answers. We love our friends there- but the unsettling nature of the school assignement is a constant factor. I know plenty of families who moved themselves from neighborhood to another neighborhood to try to stay in the same schools. The realtors will not tell you about this. I had a lot of friends who went to work in the schools so they could keep their kids school assignment. Bottom line- the low taxes just do not support the growth.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
we have a child in Rea View, no trailers as only 4 sub divisions go to this school, and a Son in Marvin Ridge Middle, No trailers there either and from personal expereince they are awesome schools, and everyone ive spoken with (My kids friends from other places) also are extremely happy. We bought where we did because of the re-districting. One can always been moved however the closer you are the less the chance of them moving your kids. Marvin Elem is not crowded either as Rea View opened and eliviated what would have been crowding. We researched Union county for about 9 months before moving, and I knew when we started physically looking where I wanted to be. dont get discourged they are building more shools. the trailers from Weddington HS are also gone.

good luck!!! I must say buying in the Marvin Ridge Cluster was the best decision for our family. Doesnt mean its for everyone.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee729 View Post
I just moved this summer from Union Co. (job relo)after 4 yrs. Charlotte is a great city, for NC. Having lived in other large cities around the country, you have to put everything into perspective. Is the grass ever really greener? We have middle/hs aged kids too- and I will tell you this was a real headach for us. The public schools in Western Union Co. and southern Mecklenburg Co. are very overcrowded. My kids would have attended the newly opened Marvin hs/middle school this year, because we were ridistricted out of the Weddington school cluster. Now my old neighbors are under threat of being reannexed again to a new cluster (Cuthbertson) coming under construction. Do your homework and thouroughly investigate the county school web sites. Ask direct questions about your school assignment and thouroughly consider their answers. We love our friends there- but the unsettling nature of the school assignement is a constant factor. I know plenty of families who moved themselves from neighborhood to another neighborhood to try to stay in the same schools. The realtors will not tell you about this. I had a lot of friends who went to work in the schools so they could keep their kids school assignment. Bottom line- the low taxes just do not support the growth.
Aimee, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I just wanted to address you comment that realtors will not tell you about this. While I cannot speak for other realtors, I will say that I always tell people looking ANYWHERE in this area that there is always a chance for reassignment. With the high growth in this area there are absolutely no guarantees. While being geographically close to some schools can help, nothing is a sure thing. And my children all started in new schools this year, but my experience has been positive. Best of luck to you

Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,305 times
Default Acouple of things

A couple of things:

A few years ago people from within the Charlotte city limits were moving to Union County to profit from the good "rural' schools and the low taxes. Now it's all caught up with them as folks move to Union from all over the US supposedly for the same reasons. The kicker is that in the meantime the schools have become overcrowded and they are constantly fighting tax increases. The old-timers whose kids have already left for Atlanta don't want the higher taxes.

I would repeat what lovesMountains has said about buying a previously owned home rather that a newly built home. They usually cost less and provide some stability in school assignments. If a house is in South or Southwest Charlotte, you will probably find a good school which is not overcrowded or whose overcrowding will be addressed by school bonds. BTW Myers Park High School in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg system has been named one of the best high schools in the US.

Finally, I have tutored in a trailer and agree with the poster who said that once you are inside the room, you forget that you are in a trailer - it's a classroom and the learning that takes place does not depend upon whether or not it's beautiful to look at. The teachers go to great lengths to decorate their classrooms and make them pleasant places to learn.

Last edited by BarbJ; 11-01-2007 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or