U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM

7 posts, read 17,352 times

Advertisements

We just moved to the Blakeney area of South Charlotte and are looking for a church within a 30 minute radius. We're looking for something with mature (not meaning old) Christians. Not hung up on denominations, and would actually prefer a Bible church. Not interested in the current trend of Oprah-isms, what does it mean to you?, feel-good preaching/teaching. Preferably something around 300 or so people. Young families are a plus, but we really like multi-generations. We like blended services, but if we need earplugs, probably not the one for us! Ultimately, we are looking for Biblically-sound preaching and teaching that's not afraid to say it like it is! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM

189 posts, read 329,332 times
Hi nabook, and welcome to Charlotte! We're very recent transplants as well, and one of the things I was pleased about is that there were a number of great choices for the kind of church family we were looking for.

Based on your location, you might want to look into the Elevation church. Others will surely pipe in here and fill you in more than I can, as we never had a chance to visit it.

We found our church in Fort Mill, and it sounds very much like the kind you are looking for. Lakeshore Christian Fellowship (www.lakeshorecf.com) is AWESOME. I was so excited by it that within a few minutes of the message, I texted DH (who was at home with a napping baby) that we'd found our church home. It is most definitely not a "pay your dues on Sunday and be done" type of place... the rubber hits the road here and I love it. I'm also struck time and again by the young people. My own children are 5 and 1, so it's not as though I'm biased, but I watch these kids REALLY get into worship during the services and am astounded at their closeness with one another and their poise and warmth with the adults in the congregation.

PM me if you're interested in more info, as I'd be delighted to share more or to meet up with you for a visit sometime. The 15-minute drive would, IMHO, be worth it to check out. And again, welcome!!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM

214 posts, read 343,828 times
My wife and I enjoy Elevation in Blakeney. Probably bigger than what you'd prefer, but they're definitely not hung up on the legalisms of denominations, how many tongues were spoken on the day of Pentecost, etc. Very diverse and mixed group. Big age range. I'd say the early Sunday service goes about 2500 and the late morning service goes about 4000. They also have campuses at Providence High School, off Independence, and in Uptown.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,304 times
I am not sure that Elevation is for you if you don't want to use earplugs! The minister is amazing with a true gift, but it is loud.

Transformation Church is in Indian Land on 521. The minister there is dynamic as well. This is a multi-ethnic church, fairly new, but has really done some great things in the year that it has been around.

Also, Forest Hill has a campus in Ballantyne. Another great church in Charlotte, but not small.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
I agree with Elevation, might need earplugs!

Forest Hill is one that you might like in Ballantyne Village regal theater but soon moving to the Morrison YMCA closer to you plus Carmel Baptist on HWY 51 for maturity.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 29,312 times
Waxhaw Bible Church is worth a try. It's small, friendly, and very biblically based. Defiantly not the trendy, style you are referring to. We are not members, but find it to be a great place to learn. Unlike other places, bring your bible.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM

554 posts, read 1,312,530 times
I think Elevation and Forest Hill are both too contemporary for you. I was thinking of Calvary but it's very big! And Carmel Church is another one that I think you might enjoy!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 17,352 times
Thanks so much for all of the responses! We are checking them out via internet. We appreciate all the input and honesty, as being new to the area can be overwhelming.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,568,005 times
I go to Elevation for the message more than the music - but there are some worship songs they do that really move me - regardless of the volume. I am an usher there and keep ear plugs in my pocket to give out, but not many people use them. Sit in the back and it is not so loud.

The pastor at Elevation is amazing. You should at least check it out a couple times since you are so close. There is a good variety of ages there, but the majority is young families.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 15,654 times
Try Stough ... stough.org... in Pineville (south Charlotte) ... Bible church, blended services, families...young families and multi-generations ... very welcoming ...think it meets all your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or