U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM

52 posts, read 233,153 times

Advertisements

I'd be relocated from Los Angeles, so I'd like to keep the culture shock to a minimum I'm wondering if Raleigh might feel too much of a small town to me. ALso, is Charlotte a lot more expensive than Raleigh? Been looking into housing there and that's do-able within my budget (325-400k) Can that get you a beuatiful 3 bedroom home within a 20 minute commute to downtown raleigh in a pretty, lush suburb with character?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 AM

47 posts, read 198,623 times
LACMOM
I looked into both areas before moving here. I found both very nice, but Charlotte offerd me more. Charlotte has a pro town feel with the Panthers and the Bobcats, but also has a much busier "Uptown". Raleigh has more of a college feel,even though it does host the Hurricanes of the NHL. I was in the Raleigh uptown area on a Saturday last September,and it was very, very quiet. They are both very nice areas,and I know you can find a very nice house in your price range. I chose Charlotte and I live in the southern Charlotte area. The traffic can be a problem sometimes but it all depends on where you want to work.
I worked in NYC for 20+ years, I was sick of the hustles and bustle so I wanted to slow it down. Charlotte offers anything you want but it it a nice and easy pace. I think Raleigh would be too slow for me. Best of luck, you can't go wrong with either place in my opinion

Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 AM

348 posts, read 317,828 times
I agree with libertyflyer. I visited Raleigh twice before settling on Charlotte. I found it had way more to offer. Raleigh is far more spread out and you don't ever really get that neigborhood feel. Everything is just connected by highways. Their city center is also nothing more than 3 tall buildings.

And do not think for a second that Charlotte is more expensive. It's quite the reverse. You get more bang for your buck house-wise in Charlotte.

You should also consider what you do for a living. The technology sector, for example, is way bigger in Raleigh; while banking is king in Charlotte (and good luck getting a job in banking without previous banking experience!). I think Raleigh has a bit more diversity of people than Charlotte does as well....partly because there is a bit more diversity to business there. For example, you'll see heaps and heaps of Indians/Asians in Raleigh, where that's really not the case for Charlotte. I do wish Charlotte had a bit more dimension to its complexion sometimes.

But I chose Charlotte hands down over 3 years ago. In fact, I took a trip about 7 months ago to Raleigh, and it confirmed that I had in fact made the right choice.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 AM

29 posts, read 88,953 times
LACAMOM,

You're in luck. I grew up in Chapel Hill right outside of Raleigh, currently live in Charlotte, and lived in Los Angeles in between. My advice regarding your dilemma is that it's all based on what you're looking for.

Where in Los Angeles did you live? Uptown Charlotte, in general, is going to be more like "downtown" (at least, now that downtown LA has been reclaimed). Also, people here (Charlotte) are going to be slightly more image conscious (an LA staple, if you ask me). Concordantly, Charlotte has the edge when it comes to ritzy "exclusive" neighborhoods and country clubs. Raleigh, as was noted above, still has more of a "college" town feel... think Brentwood - without the presence of Beverly Hills, Bel Air, the Palisades, etc... surrounding it.

In terms of culture, neither Charlotte nor Raleigh is really very "southern" in the sense that I don't expect you to experience "culture shock" of any noticeable sort. There are plenty of people here from other parts of the country; we're not all a bunch of rednecks (though I think most people would be pleasantly surprised as compared to their stereotypes if they actually got to know some "rednecks").

Another thing to note is that we have more of a "business economy" here in Charlotte (think banks) while Raleigh is more academic and "venture"-based (a la SF/Palo Alto/Menlo Park). Charlotte, as noted above, probably has the edge on professional sports while Raleigh most certainly would lead in college sports. Cultural attractions are probably pretty similar in both in terms of the large-scale events with maybe a minor edge to Charlotte. However, I'd give Raleigh the edge on smaller stuff because the college environment fosters more of that sort of thing since students have the advantage of not having to worry about making money.

All-in-all, I've found Charlotte to be more "lively" for the average person, but I think that probably has more to do with your attitude than your location. If you need any more information, feel free to PM me. I think that the SPECIFIC things you're looking for are going to matter more, in the end, than all this general stuff.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM

52 posts, read 233,153 times
THanks ANd ABBieek, I'd love to ask you a few questions, seeing as you've lived in LA. I'll PM you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or