Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:27 AM

157 posts, read 529,764 times

Advertisements

Last week I recieved a Stormwater bill for $32.00. I called CMUD and inquire about the bill. They said that thats a annual bill for stormwater and maintenance. I think this is BS. Hell, I pay my water bill every month. They threw some random bill like stormwater on me! This is for Meck homeowners I guess. Do you all get a annual CMUD stormwater bill as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 12:15 PM

49 posts, read 175,856 times
I just received mine and have to call them today as they're billing me for a house I sold back in May. This should be fun.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
Last week I recieved a Stormwater bill for $32.00. I called CMUD and inquire about the bill. They said that thats a annual bill for stormwater and maintenance. I think this is BS. Hell, I pay my water bill every month. They threw some random bill like stormwater on me! This is for Meck homeowners I guess. Do you all get a annual CMUD stormwater bill as well?
Yes, this is an annual bill we all get in Mecklenburg county - helps them to afford maintenance and upkeep to the drains and system in general. Is $32. a year that much of a hardship? As it is we have decently low water bills - nothing like what's happening in Union county.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yes, this is an annual bill we all get in Mecklenburg county - helps them to afford maintenance and upkeep to the drains and system in general. Is $32. a year that much of a hardship? As it is we have decently low water bills - nothing like what's happening in Union county.

That stormwater fee most likely also pays for a couple of stormwater engineering positions in the county. The engineers review development plans to make sure developers are treating their stormwater runoff with things like detention ponds, grassed swales, stormwater wetlands ect. Hoving these Best Management Practices (BMPs) helps to prevent your rivers and streams from becomming polluted with excess nutrients and sediments. It is important for these BMPs to be designed and installed properly otherwise they will fail and the residents they are supposed to serve and the environment get the shaft. I know a lot of people like to call this a unfair "Rain Tax" but these stormwater Utility fees go a long way to fund the environmental programs that keep growth in check with environmental concerns. Better to pay for things to be done right now than come back down the road to fix overlooked problems. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times

The water bill is for the water we use. Storm water bill is completely seperate.

Perhaps they could split it up into 12 monthly payments of $2.66.
Mine is always in my monthly bill.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No hardship but I don't enjoy extra bills. Can't have the OK mind frame about these bills; then they will raise it since we can afford it.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:50 AM

This is NOT an "extra" bill. Do you think that we should not pay for the maintenance of our system, just for water usage?

If they built it into water usage, no one would have even known and then would no one would have even complained about it.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
No hardship but I don't enjoy extra bills. Can't have the OK mind frame about these bills; then they will raise it since we can afford it.
They will raise it because you can afford it?? That's your reason for not wanting to pay it? All homeowners pay this, whether we think we can afford it or not. And no, it doesn't get raised more and more just because we pay it again and again. It's not much more now than I was paying even 10 years ago!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
This is NOT an "extra" bill. Do you think that we should not pay for the maintenance of our system, just for water usage?

If they built it into water usage, no one would have even known and then would no one would have even complained about it.
You seem happy for this bill or whatever you call it. I'm new in the homeowner game and I'm just not use to extra stuff! In my eyes, this is a annual bill to pay the Engineering division on 4th st their salary. BUT like you all said, this is required of all homeowners

Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM

LOL, I would not say "happy" about it (who is ever happy with bills, period), but I see why it is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte