U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 PM

467 posts, read 860,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Get over yourself. Several of your posts show you have little respect for traffic laws or other drivers - and an obsession with this. You clearly have some misplaced aggression if you get this worked up about how others are driving. I'm sorry not every one is accommodating of your "need for speed." Take a breath and slow down, or move to the other lane to pass and grow up.
Dude has probably spent more time complaining about drivers and posting about it than he would've saved if people weren't slowing down for speedbumps and right turns. Funny how people fume about being "cost" a handful of seconds when they spend orders of magnitude more time sitting on their can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM

820 posts, read 1,530,830 times
Smile Slow Roll Through a Stop Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Drives me nuts too when people come to complete stop at speed bumps. Heck, drives me nuts when people come to a complete stop at regular right turns when they have the clear right of way.
It is the law, in your driver manual, that you must come to a full stop at a stop sign. Otherwise, you are taking your chances of getting a traffic citation for running a stop sign, which carries points on your license and if you have other infractions, your insurance company will appreciate the opportunity to raise your rates. The so-called California Roll through a red light or stop sign is a no-no.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM

820 posts, read 1,530,830 times
Hitting a speed bump in a parking lot or drive does more damage to your struts and shocks that anything else. When I can, I drive over the humps, slowly at a 45 degree angle so that the struts don't have so much stress as they would get with a straight on hit. Check with any tire or auto shop and ask them what speed bumps do to vehicles.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,495,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Get over yourself. Several of your posts show you have little respect for traffic laws or other drivers - and an obsession with this. You clearly have some misplaced aggression if you get this worked up about how others are driving. I'm sorry not every one is accommodating of your "need for speed." Take a breath and slow down, or move to the other lane to pass and grow up.
Umm what other lane? We're talking about speed bumps, and I dont think they install those on multi lane roads. As i stated, im all for "slowing down" at speed bumps. Its also not a matter of getting somewhere faster, its the principal of the fact you shouldnt stop at a speed bump. I would think a stop sign would be installed at the speed bumps if they felt like you should.

Again, if speed bumps are seriously THIS damaging to an automobile, I have no clue why they are installed. I do remember a few parking lots having AWFUL speed bumps, where they werent rounded off, they were basically square. I dont get how those were legal.

Ive never dealt with speed humps till now. I was diving on North Community House Road and was completely caught off guard by one. They can really make your rear end bottom out of you dont slow down for them.

To the poster who was talking about how they had a heavy car and such.... so do I, and rolling over the speed bumps at 10mph hasnt hurt my car yet. I recently got my shocks and struts inspected, and they were in great shape. It pains me when I see these jacked up trucks with suspensions that can handle climbing up rocks and mountains, yet cant handle a speed bump.

On the texting and driving front, i forgot is IS illegal in NC, but not in SC. Its a common sense law in most peoples eyes, yet I see people doing it all the time. It drives me NUTS when im behind someone and I can clearly see them texting and driving. Ill blown the horn at them and they never seem to like it, but I also dont want to be following the guy whos more worried about texting then driving the car.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times
On really high speed bumps I come pretty close to a complete stop. Sorry if you are behind me Days but some of those things are high as curbs.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,495,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
On really high speed bumps I come pretty close to a complete stop. Sorry if you are behind me Days but some of those things are high as curbs.
I see your point, as ive also encountered a few that arent safe. I thought speed bumps had to be approved by the town or DOT.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 AM

359 posts, read 503,653 times
I crawl over some in a Crown Vic at work and still bottom out if me and another guy are in the car. They are SOOOO high

It's ridiculous

Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 AM

1,610 posts, read 2,021,632 times
Is it just me or are speed bumps getting higher over the last decade or two due to the popularity of trucks and SUVs?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I see your point, as ive also encountered a few that arent safe. I thought speed bumps had to be approved by the town or DOT.
I cut through an apartment complex one time to avoid some traffic and that was the last time I ever went through there. The speed "bumps" were the largest I had ever seen. Yes, I shouldn't have been cutting through and I never did again.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,295,801 times
I'd be willing to bet that the bumps people complain about being so high aren't any higher than the bumps I referred to earlier; the ones in Myers Park, Eastover, Sardis Lane, and other areas. They're much less steep, but I bet they're every bit as tall as the ones we all hate. Those narrow, steep bumps have such a blunt entry and quick dropoff. That's what causes the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte