U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 12,426 times

Advertisements

HI! My family and myself are moving to the Highland Creek area of Charlotte next week and I am trying to arrange before and after school care for my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter. They will attend Highland Creek Elementary but I was told that they are full. Can anyone recommend another before and after school site that transports to HCE?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 PM

240 posts, read 933,995 times
There are two other locations. Primrose and University Child Development Center (inside of HC) provides before and after care but it's considerable higher. Still sign up for the program. There is a waiting list but I was told that many people will drop out over the school year and they may be increasing the number of spots. Eventually, your child may get into the program.

Also, check with the neighbors. There are many people who have in home day care centers that may be willing to watch your child before school and a few hours after.

Also, I was told by another parent if HCE is full. They will bus your child to the closest school with an open spot. She told me Blythe. I'm not sure if this is true but I would check into it.

University City YMCA has an aftercare program. They told me before if they had enough students from a school that CMS would provide a bus to the YMCA. This year that the before and aftercare filled up only days after it opened up in the spring. I went to a SLT meeting yesterday. We have 999 students registered and expected to open aroung 1058 for the school year.

I hope this helps!!

PM if you need more information.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 PM

By the way, is your son going to be a 5th grader? My daughter will be in the 5th grade. Orientation is Aug 23 b/n 2:00-5:00 pm depending on the initials of your last name. Where are you moving from?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 12,426 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your advice! We will be arriving late next week from St. Petersburg, Florida. We are very, very excited. Yes, my son is entering 5th grade and daughter will be starting second grade. They are very anxious about meeting new friends but we have heard wonderful things about the HC community.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Don't worry. Your friends will have friends w/i hours. It's like the kids in the neighborhood stake out the house waiting for the new neighbors to move in. They want to see if they have kids that they can play with. We went to walk the dog and by the time we were home my daughter had 3 friends. The kids are great at HCE. Your kids will make friends very quickly!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM

132 posts, read 427,621 times
Washingtonian- I am so LOL at your post! We are in the Cabarrus side of HC in new construction, and my DD (also 7yo by the way) and my 4 year old DS are totally stalkers. They watch the construction and wait for the moving van. We were the first on our street so the neighbors have been a while in coming. My kids are going nuts because we had 3 families move in this past end of month.

ToNC2007...welcome to the neighborhood!! We have great friends who attend HC and love it. They do after care at Primrose and really like it a lot. Tell your DD to not worry! The kids here are great and she will have more friends than she knows what to do with. And if not then PM me and we'll get a playdate together LOL.

Good Luck in the move and enjoy your new home!

Anita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte