Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
While out running some errands we ended up stopping and waiting to watch the procession and paying our respects. How humbling it was watching the procession.

God bless you Nicholas O'brien thank you for what you have done for this country. God bless your family!

Thoughts and blessings to the Patriot Guard Riders, thank you for what you do!!!!!

As for wbc, God will deal with you people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
Had to go out to Gastonia from uptown today around noon so took 74 from the city. Got to the airport and there was a fire ladder truck with a huge american flag over the westbound lanes of 74. Then at each intersection up to the river there were 20 or so people gathered at each intersection on 74. Then 2 ladder trucks and a even bigger flag covering the whole road entering into Gaston County. Every intersection from Belmont to Gastonia had literally hundreds of people, fire/police police vehicles, and flags everywhere. I wasn't quite sure what was going on. So I finished my business and headed back down Franklin St and the crowds were even bigger. I could have sworn I was a few weeks off and this was some sort of massive 4th of July parade. Just as I'm leaving Gastonia I get stopped by the cop directing traffic. I had to sit at the light for about 45 min. It ended up being the only time I've ever been happy to be stuck in traffic as I was right there as they brought Mr. O'Brien home.

There must have been at 10,000 people lining the streets from Billy Graham to Gastonia waiting for up to 2 hrs in the hot sun to honor this fallen hero. The moment was so moving that I saw business guys who were irate at being caught in traffic calmy get out of their cars smile and clap as the procession went by.

I guess my point would be if the WBC coming to town means people get out and show this kind of support and love then they come anytime.
I enjoyed reading both of your responses to witnessing the procession of an American Hero who died honoring our country. Kudos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
I guess my point would be if the WBC coming to town means people get out and show this kind of support and love then they come anytime.
It may have influenced some but the gatherings were planned when news of Nic's death broke last week, before any WBC protest was mentioned. I know many people that went out today and none were motivated by the WBC. Many are East Gaston grads that either knew Nic personally or know someone who did. Others just wanted to show their respects.

Gaston County turns out in droves to honor fallen Marine (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/monday-58490-brien-franklin.html - broken link)

Old 06-20-2011, 03:01 PM

385 posts, read 890,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
It may have influenced some but the gatherings were planned when news of Nic's death broke last week, before any WBC protest was mentioned. I know many people that went out today and none were motivated by the WBC. Many are East Gaston grads that either knew Nic personally or know someone who did. Others just wanted to show their respects.

Gaston County turns out in droves to honor fallen Marine (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/monday-58490-brien-franklin.html - broken link)

Sorry. The last part about WBC was kinda tongue in cheek. I figured I could joke a lil about an organization that is a joke.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
So far wbc has been a no-show.......maybe they decided Gaston County wasn't the place to be trifling around.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:39 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
As long as the newspapers keep writing about this group's "outrageous" behavior they'll keep doing it.

It's unbelievable publicity for them. The best thing we can do is admonish the CO for bothering to cover this "story". If they were ignored, as they should be, they would disappear.

At this point, I'm pretty numb to their antics.
I agree with being numb but I don't think I agree that they would disappear. I believe that they believe what they say they believe. They would be there because they feel called to be there.

What baffles me is that most groups like this have an average IQ around 70 but this group is very smart. They used their own family member as attorney to argue in front of the Supreme Court and they one.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I agree with being numb but I don't think I agree that they would disappear. I believe that they believe what they say they believe. They would be there because they feel called to be there.
maybe so, maybe not.

they get a lot of funding by suing people... people who get all riled up by the media coverage of their evil exploits and feel compelled to go out and "confront" them and wind up getting sued by the cadre of family lawyers.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM

996 posts, read 1,895,947 times
RIP Lance Corporal! You are home now sir!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,284 times
I think the WBC gets away with what they do because the 3 wars the USA is fighting at the moment are not "just" wars and thus the American people, for the most part, are not engaged. If the country was really in some sort of danger, and the general public was vested in these wars, the WBC would either be tossed in jail for treason or executed. Instead most people just see them as some kooks and then go about their way.

Oddly, the only group that seems to be taking any action against them, and some of them deny it, is Anonymous who allegedly took down their website earlier in the year. WBC was quite pissed off about it.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I think the WBC gets away with what they do because the 3 wars the USA is fighting at the moment are not "just" wars and thus the American people, for the most part, are not engaged. If the country was really in some sort of danger, and the general public was vested in these wars, the WBC would either be tossed in jail for treason or executed. Instead most people just see them as some kooks and then go about their way.

Oddly, the only group that seems to be taking any action against them, and some of them deny it, is Anonymous who allegedly took down their website earlier in the year. WBC was quite pissed off about it.
It wouldn't matter what is going on w/ wars right now - they are using the 1st Amendment to hide behind, as is their right. Their campaign doesn't even make sense to me, and I had a chance to see them close up while I lived in Kansas. Why anyone would want to disrupt a military funeral w/ messages about homosexuality is a concept I just can't grasp.

The only thing I can figure out is they want to be as offensive as they can in order to prove that they are guaranteed the right to free speech under the 1st Amendment.

Despite the inappropriateness of their choice of time and place to protest, I could at least understand it if they were what was referred to in the late 60s and early 70s as "peackniks" - or "war protestors." But they aren't. They are just claiming the spotlight at military funerals as a way to spread their hate-filled message.

I can't figure out why anyone would think such behavior is Christ-like.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
I am so heartened by these stories of the great reception that our fallen Marine received and the lack of WBC presence. I had to study this despicable group in a class last fall and follow along with the Supreme Court decision. I was supposed to write a brief in support of them and could not do it. Luckily, my teacher respected my beliefs and my stand and did not fail me despite the fact that I did not do the assignment as it was given.

WBC is a family of highly intelligent people who honestly believe the garbage that they spew. Their funding comes from their highly successful law practices in Kansas where they are located. Almost all of the adults in the church (which is made up of one large, extended family) are attorneys. I read one article where the author interviewed some of the people of the town. Many said that they hate WBC and what it stands for, however, they acknowledged that if you have a legal issue, their firm(s) are the best in the state and if you want to win, you will hire them.

The basis of the Supreme Court decision was based entirely upon the distance that WBC stood in relation to the funeral of the young man whose father brought the suit. His name was Matthew ________. (can't remember the last name). The original lawsuit was found in favour of the father; WBC appealed and WON. Now, this was in the 4th circuit (MD) which, by the way, is the district that NC is in. Remember this at election time: our appellate judges all need to be replaced with people that actually think. Anyway, the father appealed that decision and that is how the Supreme Court heard the argument. The entire argument is online; you can download it and read it; it is actually quite interesting.

You will find that this is NOT a first amendment decision as is the common belief. The Supreme Court actually shot that down in their beginning arguments. The first amendment does not protect against inflammatory speech nor "fighting words". This is entirely due to the right to protest...and the distance that they were away from the funeral.

Many states & municipalities have instituted ordinances against things like the WBC protests after this decision or made it more difficult for someone to protest at a funeral. (like requiring permits that are very costly for example) Because NC is not necessarily a very forward thinking state , I do not think that we have. Obviously, I don't know what Gaston county might (or might not have) done. Whatever it was, I am THRILLED that they chose not to be here for our fallen Marine's funeral and funeral procession.

Many citizens of other communities have taken somewhat humourous, but,effective steps to prevent the WBC people from protesting. You can google it and have a laugh at their expense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte