Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,536 times

Advertisements

Need information on backyard beekeeping in Charlotte, NC. Can a HOA by-laws on backyard beekeeping override the NC state law on backyard beekeeping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:02 PM

604 posts, read 644,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBees NC View Post
Need information on backyard beekeeping in Charlotte, NC. Can a HOA by-laws on backyard beekeeping override the NC state law on backyard beekeeping?
People move to HOA communities because they want the HOA bylaws to be above the basic state laws.
I would be shocked if any HOA would allow beekeeping in a residential backyard.

As you know once in a while, when a new queen is formed part of the bees will leave the hive and migrate on someone's else property (porch, tree, etc) close by. Not sure why one would want to do that to their neighbors?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:16 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,918,045 times
Can they or can't they all depends on how the by-laws are written and recorded. Will they hound and harass you till they get what they want? You can be sure of it. No HOA is going to be thrilled with a person keeping bees in their back yard.

HOA's cannot go against the law, but they can make restrictions tighter than what the law says.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
People move to HOA communities because they want the HOA bylaws to be above the basic state laws.
I would be shocked if any HOA would allow beekeeping in a residential backyard.

As you know once in a while, when a new queen is formed part of the bees will leave the hive and migrate on someone's else property (porch, tree, etc) close by. Not sure why one would want to do that to their neighbors?
The HOA changed the bylaws 20 years after we moved here. Here is what the NC statutes says about keeping bees in NC.
§ 106-645. Limitations on local government regulation of hives.
(a) Notwithstanding Article 6 of Chapter 153A of the General Statutes, no county shall adopt or continue in effect any ordinance or resolution that prohibits any person or entity from owning or possessing five or fewer hives.
(b) Notwithstanding Article 8 of Chapter 160A of the General Statutes, a city may adopt an ordinance to regulate hives in accordance with this subsection. The city shall comply with all of the following:
(1) Any ordinance shall permit up to five hives on a single parcel within the land use planning jurisdiction of the city.
(2) Any ordinance shall require that the hive be placed at ground level or securely attached to an anchor or stand. If the hive is securely attached to an anchor or stand, the city may permit the anchor or stand to be permanently attached to a roof surface.
(3) Any ordinance may include regulation of the placement of the hive on the parcel, including setbacks from the property line and from other hives.
(4) Any ordinance may require removal of the hive if the owner no longer maintains the hive or if removal is necessary to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term "hive" has the same definition as in G.S. 106-635(15). (2015-246, s. 8.)

Also, my bees do not swarm, as I inspect them weekly during the swarming months and when they get crowed, Which is the reason they swarm, I split them into a second hive.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:00 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,736,239 times
I live in a non HOA community that allows chickens and bees. I have neighbors raising both and it doesn't bother me. However I do know HOA in the next community doesn't allow either and is allowed to disallow both.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 AM

Looking for a place in the county for my bees, wife & dogs. Oakboro, NC is starting to look very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte