U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 AM
 
3 posts, read 10,152 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at homes in Mt. Isle Harbor on Mountain Island Lake and are concerned about the crime, noise (from airplanes) and schools in the area. Is there anyone on the forums that live in this neighborhood or surrounding area that can give us some feedback?

Wondering what reselling these homes will be like down the road as well.

We like the idea of living near the lake and the short commute and think the neighborhood looks wonderful-it is just what is right outside of the neighborhood that has us wondering.

Any information is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,406,240 times
Reputation: 2781
You might want to do a neighborhood crime map of the neighborhood here http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...rime-map.html#
There were a lot of car break ins last year within the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,560,241 times
Reputation: 3877
Do you want to pay that price for a home that as you enter the community you go under huge power lines???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,779,716 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffieH View Post
My husband and I are looking at homes in Mt. Isle Harbor on Mountain Island Lake and are concerned about the crime, noise (from airplanes) and schools in the area. Is there anyone on the forums that live in this neighborhood or surrounding area that can give us some feedback? !
This is exactly the stuff I would worry about over there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM
 
3 posts, read 10,152 times
Reputation: 10
Barkingowl~Thank you-I will look into that now...
Chromekitty~I have seen the power lines, however they are not at the entrance to this are or home, but I know what you are saying.
Yantosh22~Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you all for replying. I am surprised that there is not more information online about Noise Pollution in the Mountain Island. We really fell in love with a house there that meets all of our criteria-the first house in the Charlotte area yet- that is also in our price range. I guess it was too good to be true.

Perhaps my new inquiry on here should be for a brick home with a 3 car garage and a basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,166,245 times
Reputation: 39828
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffieH View Post
Barkingowl~Thank you-I will look into that now...
Chromekitty~I have seen the power lines, however they are not at the entrance to this are or home, but I know what you are saying.
Yantosh22~Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you all for replying. I am surprised that there is not more information online about Noise Pollution in the Mountain Island. We really fell in love with a house there that meets all of our criteria-the first house in the Charlotte area yet- that is also in our price range. I guess it was too good to be true.

Perhaps my new inquiry on here should be for a brick home with a 3 car garage and a basement.

Mountain Island Lake is a nice area, not crime ridden with an easy commute back into uptown Charlotte. Biggest problem is the schools, they aren't exactly the best in the area. Noise from the airport there seems negligable to me.

If you have found the house of your dreams I would not walk away from it so easily just because of the few responses on this thread. Do some more digging and you will get more comfortable with walking away, or walking toward, this house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,560,241 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffieH View Post
Barkingowl~Thank you-I will look into that now...
Chromekitty~I have seen the power lines, however they are not at the entrance to this are or home, but I know what you are saying.
Yantosh22~Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you all for replying. I am surprised that there is not more information online about Noise Pollution in the Mountain Island. We really fell in love with a house there that meets all of our criteria-the first house in the Charlotte area yet- that is also in our price range. I guess it was too good to be true.

Perhaps my new inquiry on here should be for a brick home with a 3 car garage and a basement.

The noise isn't a huge issue in that area. You will hear air traffic but it's not as though you house is sitting on the end of the runway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,779,716 times
Reputation: 549
Actually the noise from the planes over there is quite bad. At plane speeds they are already fairly low in the sky and this goes on every 2 minutes all day long day after day when they are flying certain flight patterns. You either have to get used to it or it aggravates you endlessly. It's particularly bad along the Southern end of the Lake. I've been on my boat down there and sometimes it's difficult to have a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,560,241 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Actually the noise from the planes over there is quite bad. At plane speeds they are already fairly low in the sky and this goes on every 2 minutes all day long day after day when they are flying certain flight patterns. You either have to get used to it or it aggravates you endlessly. It's particularly bad along the Southern end of the Lake. I've been on my boat down there and sometimes it's difficult to have a conversation.
Maybe it has changed since I lived in the area. I always thought we saw a lot of air traffic, the neighbors and I always thought it wasn't bad.

I personally wouldn't live in the area anymore due to the increase in crime and other factors there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 12:44 PM
 
3 posts, read 10,152 times
Reputation: 10
The day we looked at the home there were planes every few minutes going over and we could hear them clearly from inside the home. Thanks everyone for your input...we are going to keep looking for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top