Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM

60 posts, read 120,266 times

Advertisements

I've always been a suburban girl (city water/sewer) I feel better staying that way too. I do notice that many homes/areas I like are on septic and/or well. I was once told if I was ever going to do that to make sure I had about 10K on hand when the septic system went up ?? is that true? Don't wells run dry??

I know I"m embarrassing myself here, but I want to make sure I"m not passing up a cool house for no reason.

Are my fears justified? Can anyone who deals with this shed some light for me? What are common problems, things I need to be aware of, maintenance.

Thanks everyone - I always appreciate the info and advice I see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordmom View Post
I've always been a suburban girl (city water/sewer) I feel better staying that way too. I do notice that many homes/areas I like are on septic and/or well. I was once told if I was ever going to do that to make sure I had about 10K on hand when the septic system went up ?? is that true? Don't wells run dry??

I know I"m embarrassing myself here, but I want to make sure I"m not passing up a cool house for no reason.

Are my fears justified? Can anyone who deals with this shed some light for me? What are common problems, things I need to be aware of, maintenance.

Thanks everyone - I always appreciate the info and advice I see here.

LOL, sounds like somebody you talked to confused septic systems with water wells

I would not let a septic system stop me from buying a home I loved!

There is no maintenance to speak of, other than using septic safe toilet tissue and dishwasher soap and you might have to pay to have it pumped out about every 10-12 years. They are really not something to be feared, just have any house you are interested in thoroughly inspected to make sure there are no issues

Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
We have a septic. I was apprehensive too for the same reasons as quoted by the original poster.

We've had absolutely no issues in almost five years. The house was about 5 years old at time of purchase, so it's a 10-year-old house. We're in the process of having an addition built and the county came out to do a perk test about 2 weeks ago.

It occurred to me that the septic here has likely never been pumped, and it's probably about time. When I inquired of the inspector, he asked, "Having any issues with backup?" I replied, "No." He said, "Then it's not time to have it pumped." OK, so that relaxed my husband because he's more of the live dangerously type than myself. I'm still not sure whether or not we're supposed to be proactive about it or not.

But, at any rate, thus far, living in a house with a septic hasn't been the horrifying experience I anticipated. And we've got three toilets - and a very full house at times.

Like loves said, I wouldn't allow a septic to deter me from buying a house that I love.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte