U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 PM

673 posts, read 2,432,306 times

Advertisements

I currently have AT&T and am considering switching to Verizon. I have been happy with AT&T until recently when I am getting a lot of dropped calls. Has anyone else with AT&T experienced more dropped calls within the last several months in the Charlotte area? Someone mentioned that maybe when I upgrade my phone, the calls will not drop as much, but aren't dropped calls mostly due to the carrier & not the phone itself? I have an iPhone 3GS now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 AM

398 posts, read 752,101 times
Short answer: Verizon.

Long answer:

I had AT&T for 5+ years. Lately, last 3-4 months, I've seen an increased number of dropped calls - must be that I moved from North Charlotte to South Charlotte. Nevertheless, I lived with it till my wife had to make an emergency call to me and the call dropped 5 times in 15 minutes.

After I dealt with the emergency, I called AT&T and explained my situation. They said they can get me new SIMs from a nearby store and that is it. I asked what I should do if I live in an area where I don't have coverage. Answer: Nothing AT&T will do. I should continue paying monthly.

I had an iPhone, so posted an ad online at craigslist. Ported my wife's and my number to Verizon and bought new white iPhone for wife and Android phone for me. Someone bought off craigslist for $$ more than the contract ending fee from AT&T and signup at Verizon. Not bad, ha?

Been on Verizon for 2 months now and no issues at all.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,155,133 times
Verizon

Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM

205 posts, read 569,905 times
I managed nearly two hundred mobile phones for my last employer- Go with Verizon.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,742,686 times
Had AT&T for 4 years, never a dropped call. I was just in Houston & Dallas, and recently in Louisville, KY. No problems.

I guess it depends on where you are or where you go. Besides, I prefer the GSM network technology (which is faster than Verizons CDMA network)

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 PM

149 posts, read 292,854 times
My son has AT&T service for his IPhone. When I call him I notice it takes a long time to hear a ring. My recommendation is to go with Verizon.

BTW, I was in the Sprint store recently. The rep was running his sales pitch to a couple who were interested in a business account. He mentioned Sprint buys cell tower signal space from who? Verizon. LOL if I were the couple, I would've respectfully went to Verizon. It appears as they're the largest in the telecommunication industry.

What I don't understand is why does Sprint have to buy the cell tower space from Verizon?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,363,247 times
Verizon hands down

Old 06-25-2011, 12:49 PM

820 posts, read 1,525,529 times
Verizon, as long as they don't get too cocky and their service starts falling off. We've had Verizon, since they bought Bell Atlantic Metro Mobile some years ago. Our first phone was a bag 3 watt with 30 minutes for $30.00 We have come a long way and I still just want a phone and will be happy if it takes photos, too.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:08 PM

983 posts, read 2,167,523 times
Each one of them has it's good and bad and depending on where you at the service would drop. I liked the rolling minutes with AT&T I am now with Verizon and thinking of canceling my service and switch to T-Mobile

Old 06-25-2011, 03:37 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,870,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Each one of them has it's good and bad and depending on where you at the service would drop. I liked the rolling minutes with AT&T I am now with Verizon and thinking of canceling my service and switch to T-Mobile
AT+T is buying T-Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte