U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,948 times

Advertisements

If the Valedictorian does not have the credits to graduate, does this not tell you what a bad school Garinger is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:08 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
If the Valedictorian does not have the credits to graduate, does this not tell you what a bad school Garinger is?
Gorman greatly expanded the non-teaching bureaucracy of CMS including more than 100 positions that pay more than $100K/year + benefits. What exactly are they doing beyond drawing a salary to allow something like this to even exist?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 PM

830 posts, read 1,315,093 times
Shouldn't happen, but can be complicated, especially if classes were taken at different schools or districts, local community colleges, etc. It's not just total credit, but there are generally a specific number of credits (and sometimes courses) required in different subject matter areas, and that's usually where the confusion comes in.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:42 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
The minimum requirements are down and dirty and easily found w/ a simple search online. Of course, there are many "programs of study" that encompass prep courses towards higher education. But the basic requirements are few and very straightforward.

The required units of study have actually been dumbed down to 24 required courses, rather than 28.

CMS Graduation Requirements to Change Beginning 2009-2010 School Year - Heidi Hines Heidi Hines, TeamHeidi, Charlotte, Charlotte NC, Charlotte Homes, Charlotte NC Real Estate, Charlotte Homes for Sale

Requirements here:

Graduation Requirements

Below, from: High School Graduation (College Prep Diploma) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Minimum requirements:

English -- 4 units
(I, II, III & IV)
Foreign Language -- 2 units
(Both must be in same language)
Mathematics -- 4 units
(Algebra I, II, Geometry & one beyond Algebra II)
Science -- 3 units
(A physical science, Biology & Earth Science)
Social Studies -- 3 units
(Civics & Economics, United States History, World History)
Health & Physical Education -- 1 unit
Electives -- 4 units

Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,643,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
There's a lot of blame to go around certainly, but I keep going back to the parent and the student, particularly the student. She SHOULD have been aware of what she needed in order to graduate. Presumably, she must have done well in the classes she DID finish in order to be validictorian (either that or her grades were awful and she was still #1 which is a whole other matter). If she was consciencious enough to get grades worthy of being a validictorian, wasn't there a little voice inside her head saying, "Wait, you need to take XYZ or you can't graduate"? Or was she aware of her academic shortcomings and just willing to ride out the mistake? Also, did any of these 11 kids plan on going to college? Surely the colleges would have asked for transcripts. Mine did many years ago, way before they were done on computers.Just a bizarre story all around.
I agree completely, especially with the part I bolded.

When I was starting high school, I looked over the list of graduation requirements and carefully planned my classes for the next four years. I loaded up on the "hard" classes my freshman and sophomore years, with the plan being for the load to get easier by my last couple years. Heck, by senior year most of my "classes" were things like Team Sports or being a teacher's aide. I don't give the students a pass on this -- they should know what they need to graduate and should be aware if they didn't meet those requirements. Of course, everyone else involved is pretty idiotic too.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM

233 posts, read 827,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The minimum requirements are down and dirty and easily found w/ a simple search online. Of course, there are many "programs of study" that encompass prep courses towards higher education. But the basic requirements are few and very straightforward.

The required units of study have actually been dumbed down to 24 required courses, rather than 28.

CMS Graduation Requirements to Change Beginning 2009-2010 School Year - Heidi Hines Heidi Hines, TeamHeidi, Charlotte, Charlotte NC, Charlotte Homes, Charlotte NC Real Estate, Charlotte Homes for Sale

Requirements here:

Graduation Requirements

Below, from: High School Graduation (College Prep Diploma) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Minimum requirements:

English -- 4 units
(I, II, III & IV)
Foreign Language -- 2 units
(Both must be in same language)
Mathematics -- 4 units
(Algebra I, II, Geometry & one beyond Algebra II)
Science -- 3 units
(A physical science, Biology & Earth Science)
Social Studies -- 3 units
(Civics & Economics, United States History, World History)
Health & Physical Education -- 1 unit
Electives -- 4 units
Hmmmm....So, calculus and chemistry are not mandatory?

Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
When were they ever - anywhere? They still aren't and weren't in NY when I graduated.

It's a shame that this happened, but running a district at the county level does have some drawbacks I guess.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
No, but even when I was in high school (a million years ago) if you were college prep, you "knew" you had to take chem and calc . . . 4 years of a foreign language . . .

Old 06-25-2011, 04:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,045,530 times
I have to disagree with you. Surely, the person who was #1 in her class had met with guidance counselors during her timein hs. I expect the guidance counsleors to prepare a schedule that has student graduating in 4 years if not sooner. At least that is how it was done when i was in school. The school tracked you into a slot, you choose electives, but the other selections were what you needed to graduate.

You're talking the #1 student in her class. Not the last one of the bunch. I place complete blame on the school and guidance department.

I just think this blame the parent/student refrain is silly in this instance. We're talking public education and this is the guidance counselor's JOB. Geesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
There's a lot of blame to go around certainly, but I keep going back to the parent and the student, particularly the student. She SHOULD have been aware of what she needed in order to graduate. Presumably, she must have done well in the classes she DID finish in order to be validictorian (either that or her grades were awful and she was still #1 which is a whole other matter). If she was consciencious enough to get grades worthy of being a validictorian, wasn't there a little voice inside her head saying, "Wait, you need to take XYZ or you can't graduate"? Or was she aware of her academic shortcomings and just willing to ride out the mistake? Also, did any of these 11 kids plan on going to college? Surely the colleges would have asked for transcripts. Mine did many years ago, way before they were done on computers.Just a bizarre story all around.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 PM

233 posts, read 827,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
When were they ever - anywhere? They still aren't and weren't in NY when I graduated.

It's a shame that this happened, but running a district at the county level does have some drawbacks I guess.
Oh, okay. I thought it depended on the school. I didn't take it in HS, but I wish I had taken it at least as an AP if offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, but even when I was in high school (a million years ago) if you were college prep, you "knew" you had to take chem and calc . . . 4 years of a foreign language . . .
Got it. I guess at the end of the day 12th grade, 18 years old, young adult should be more responsible. One would think that the valedictorian would be a great example of this.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte