U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How is this the parent of or the students fault? That's like blaming yourself when the Bank makes a mistake with your account. You can only do so much as a parent or student.

What should kids do now to stop this? Question every test, teacher, attendance, gym score, math final to make sure they are going to graduate?

The school made a mistake and admitted it.. it's on the school. The only lesson kids need to learn from this is life isn't fair and somethings are out of your control.
Oh good grief

Would you be so kind as to tell us your age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM

38 posts, read 65,404 times
I would be curious to find out if the missing credits were able to be made up during summer school. Will these students have to put their college plans on hold, or will they even lose their acceptance to any colleges they were planning to attend?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhelms View Post
I would be curious to find out if the missing credits were able to be made up during summer school. Will these students have to put their college plans on hold, or will they even lose their acceptance to any colleges they were planning to attend?
I believe those with college plans are currently in summer school.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,276,166 times
Quote:
How is this the parent of or the students fault? That's like blaming yourself when the Bank makes a mistake with your account. You can only do so much as a parent or student.

What should kids do now to stop this? Question every test, teacher, attendance, gym score, math final to make sure they are going to graduate?

The school made a mistake and admitted it.. it's on the school. The only lesson kids need to learn from this is life isn't fair and somethings are out of your control.
If I had 4 years to catch the bank's mistake then yes it would be my fault as well. I can't stop other people from not doing their jobs correctly, or for computer errors, but I can definitely find those errors and have them corrected.

You can only do so much? How difficult would it have been for the parents to add up a few credits over the course of 4 years? It's not a full time job, it's ten minutes a year in the process of raising a child. BE A PARENT!!!!

The lesson here isn't that life is unfair. The lesson is that one should always be looking out for one's own interests. That puts the control back in one's hands.

Yes, the school is technically at fault and should be held responsible, no question about that. It is ridiculous that something like this should ever happen. And personnel and/or policy should change as a result. WTH are we paying some of these people to do if they're not able to add up a few numbers to be sure the kids can graduate?

But just like I spend a few minutes a week going over all my financial statements, bills, pay stubs, receipts, and any other statement that I didn't produce but will affect me, the parents should have been on top of this as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If I had 4 years to catch the bank's mistake then yes it would be my fault as well. I can't stop other people from not doing their jobs correctly, or for computer errors, but I can definitely find those errors and have them corrected.

You can only do so much? How difficult would it have been for the parents to add up a few credits over the course of 4 years? It's not a full time job, it's ten minutes a year in the process of raising a child. BE A PARENT!!!!

The lesson here isn't that life is unfair. The lesson is that one should always be looking out for one's own interests. That puts the control back in one's hands.

Yes, the school is technically at fault and should be held responsible, no question about that. It is ridiculous that something like this should ever happen. And personnel and/or policy should change as a result. WTH are we paying some of these people to do if they're not able to add up a few numbers to be sure the kids can graduate?

But just like I spend a few minutes a week going over all my financial statements, bills, pay stubs, receipts, and any other statement that I didn't produce but will affect me, the parents should have been on top of this as well.
If your bank makes an error and you find out about it when your loan is denied how is that your fault?

This is essentially what happened to these kids... it's not like they were warned a year before graduating.

The valedictorian is on this list.... I think that shows how incompetent the faculty is at this HS.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh good grief

Would you be so kind as to tell us your age?
you react like this and have the nerve to ask me my age?

Calm down... no need to get all agitated on a forum.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,276,166 times
Quote:
If your bank makes an error and you find out about it when your loan is denied how is that your fault?

This is essentially what happened to these kids... it's not like they were warned a year before graduating.

The valedictorian is on this list.... I think that shows how incompetent the faculty is at this HS.
Did you mean to say the kids were or weren't warned a year before graduating? I'm not clear on that. But I do agree that the faculty fumbled this badly.

To repeat what I said earlier, if the loan process took 4 years, and at no time during those 4 years did I bother to figure out if it was proceeding as it should, then yes, I should take some of the blame for it falling through. Also as I said, I can't stop others from making mistakes, but I can catch them, usually before they become a big problem.

My mortgage process went fairly smooth, as those things go. But the check I was supposed to receive for my down payment was sent USPS, which was a completely stunning revelation, and ended up being lost. Had I not checked on that almost daily, I would have been sitting at closing wondering where my money was. The parents in question took no measure to ensure their child had enough credits to graduate, so they were surprised when it didn't happen. A few minutes online or a few phone calls would have corrected the situation before it went so far.

If you assume everyone else has your back, you will fail.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
you react like this and have the nerve to ask me my age?

Calm down... no need to get all agitated on a forum.

I can assure you I am perfectly calm.

I asked your age to make a point, not because I was "agitated"

There is a certain age group in this country with the biggest entitlement mentalities. If you are in that age group then your opinion on this subject would be more understandable.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,798,349 times
As a mother who had a child graduate from CMS. I could tell you that the process of knowing what my child needed as a transfer student outside of CMS took over a year to get bottled down. Yes, I knew what the requirements were for CMS, but when a school is taking credit from outside of the state and don't know what course requirements of the previous school, it made it more difficult. I had to have the course description and weighted hours sent to the school before they can ascertain what is revelant to what CMS offers. Take for instance, my child took spanish 2 in her previous school, but CMS' requirements differs. CMS requires a half year for spanish 2, whereas other school required only a semester. Instead of having my child sit through a half-year of relearning spanish 2, I sent her to Providence Day for the summer and paid out of pocket. It was a full year before the counselor boiled down the previous school spanish requirements and gave me the permission for sending dd to summer school.

My point in saying this, is that these counselors had a tougher job making sure that my child or any student was taking the right courses, and that they were accepting the correct credits. It took over a year to boil this down from a good school. I stayed on top of the counselor and stopped by her office periodically, just to make sure that my student didn't miss out on any of her opportunities.

The ball was dropped on many level for these 11 students' by many. I just hoped that they were not taking a full year or half-year course, if so, those classes could not be made up in the summer, not unless CMS is making up some sort of provisions on the students' behalf. Colleges do not count up students' credits. They ask that a final transcript be sent to the school that tells them that you graduated.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I can assure you I am perfectly calm.

I asked your age to make a point, not because I was "agitated"

There is a certain age group in this country with the biggest entitlement mentalities. If you are in that age group then your opinion on this subject would be more understandable.
I'm not from the entitlement generation I just think when a school's valedictorian doesn't meet the requirements the school is to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte