Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,385,948 times

Advertisements

Wow! They really dropped the ball on these students. I can't imagine watching your child walk down the aisle, with cap and gown, only to find out they did not have enough credits to graduate. This is definitely a CMS failure!

CMS admits blame after valedictorian told she didn't graduate - Local news - Local news - Charlotte, NC - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43517312/ns/local_news-local_news/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Wow! They really dropped the ball on these students. I can't imagine watching your child walk down the aisle, with cap and gown, only to find out they did not have enough credits to graduate. This is definitely a CMS failure!

CMS admits blame after valedictorian told she didn't graduate - Local news - Local news - Charlotte, NC - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43517312/ns/local_news-local_news/ - broken link)

What a sham - in a good school with competitive academics no student would get near the valedictorian position without having had not only enough credits, but plenty extra, and at least a 4.0

I feel badly for the students, but they too bear some responsibility for not knowing exactly how many hours they had earned in their 4 years.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,353,141 times
I have no pride in being an alum of that school! lol Except for being exposed to the 'real' world outside of suburban life.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,694,982 times
Just goes to show with all of that overhead, CMS still fails to perform. It is inconceivable to me that a) the guidance staff and b) the students did not know how many credits had been earned. Pitiful for all concerned.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,278,797 times
The county council, led by Jennifer Roberts after rasing property taxes, gave CMS an additional $26M on top of what they were already getting and the state handed them a surprise $30M as well.

Remember the Gubment employee can do no wrong. Everyone else who pays the bills will just have to get used to it, or vote out the politicians who consistently support this status quo.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
You gotta wonder - what kind of inefficient, incapable, irresponsible employees would make a mistake like this. I mean - this is the kind of thing that should have been caught on a quarterly basis, by running reports and simply verifying credits per student. I am sure the database is all computerized.

There is simply no excuse for this. INCOMPETENCE. The guidance counselor's reports should have been generated on a quarterly, if not monthly, basis and Administrative personnel at the school (Asst. Principal and/or Principal) should have been reviewing this and adjusting as necessary w/ each pupil.

I cannot fathom this kind of mistake and indeed, have never heard of this happening, in any school district, in any state.

I am aghast at the incompetence and failure on part of administration at this school. These are the folks teaching our kids? Scary, indeed.

ETA: I might add . . . parents have some responsibility in this, as well. You can google "NC high school graduation requirements" and there are numerous sites with charts of required courses and explanations w/ the info. I can remember when I was in high school, we were all given this info many times and my parents reviewed it with me, even tho I had talked to the counselor about upcoming courses. The info is out there . . . and kids themselves should know what is expected. Someone should have been asking questions. Just another example of no one bothering to take the time to make sure these kids were meeting very well established goals. Parents should be exercising some oversight and make the effort to be involved enough to at least know their son or daughter is meeting requirements. I can't believe no one "noticed" (students, parents, other teachers, Administration) what was going on with credits and required courses.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-24-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,480,789 times
On the flip side is this:

11 Garinger grads hadn't earned diplomas | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/24/2402326/11-garinger-grads-hadnt-earned.html - broken link)

CMS needs a do-over......

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,694,982 times
Acccording to Observer THEY ONLY HAD 69 GRADS....and they screwed up 11......even for CMS this is a new low, and brother, that is some statement to make!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,640,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just another example of no one bothering to take the time to make sure these kids were meeting very well established goals. Parents should be exercising some oversight and make the effort to be involved enough to at least know their son or daughter is meeting requirements. I can't believe no one "noticed" (students, parents, other teachers, Administration) what was going on with credits and required courses.
Well, that's the thing - they DID notice! This is from the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Observer
“Upon completing the graduation credit analysis we realized there were students who were not eligible to graduate,” Thomas said.
But Thomas said the principal at the Leadership and Public Service school did nothing about it. That principal just resigned.
“There was an awareness. The communication that should have occurred between the school and the home did not occur,” said Thomas.
The principal dropped the ball. (As did the students and parents, who perhaps never picked it up to begin with.)

Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
On the flip side is this:

11 Garinger grads hadn't earned diplomas | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/24/2402326/11-garinger-grads-hadnt-earned.html - broken link)

CMS needs a do-over......

Well, nice to know the guidance counselors did not let this slip through the cracks. But I still don't understand how this was not followed through on - seems simple enough to me - letter to each parent, each student called in for review of records and info on course of action. And diplomas have to be ordered . . . and that should have been cross-referenced on a checklist of names of students eligible for graduation . . . Seems unlikely someone would not have caught this along the way somewhere if folks were doing their jobs.

I would have thought there was a master list of eligible graduates at CMS superintendant's office, too . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte