U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM

27 posts, read 90,478 times

Advertisements

I currently work and live in Durham near Duke Hospital and like it here. I live 5 mi from work, superstores, good dining places and 15 mins from Raleigh and Chapel Hill (my go-to for good nightlife)
I pay approx 800 for 1 BR apt monthly rental and really like where I live.
Durham Apartments | Alexan Place at South Square Durham, NC 27707

I've to move to Charlotte for work and am looking for a similar apartment community and location. I'll be working near South Park Mall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and effort!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,992,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrix85in View Post
I currently work and live in Durham near Duke Hospital and like it here. I live 5 mi from work, superstores, good dining places and 15 mins from Raleigh and Chapel Hill (my go-to for good nightlife)
I pay approx 800 for 1 BR apt monthly rental and really like where I live.
Durham Apartments | Alexan Place at South Square Durham, NC 27707

I've to move to Charlotte for work and am looking for a similar apartment community and location. I'll be working near South Park Mall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and effort!
The South End area of Charlotte is about 10-15 minutes from South Park (5 mins light rail ride from nightlife uptown). One bedrooms generally rent for $900-$1,200 per month in this area.

YouTube - ‪Millennium South End Luxury Apartments Charlotte NC - The Dinerstein Companies‬‏

YouTube - ‪Spectrum Apartments For Rent - Charlotte, NC‬‏

YouTube - ‪Ashton South End‬‏

YouTube - ‪Circle at South End Apartments in Charlotte, NC-ForRent.com‬‏

YouTube - ‪Camden South End Apartments For Rent - Charlotte, NC‬‏

There are also some very nice rentals in the South Park area... (more pricey than South End though)

YouTube - ‪Morrison at SouthPark Apartments in Charlotte, NC - ForRent.com‬‏

YouTube - ‪Post Park At Phillips Place Apartments Charlotte NC | Post Properties‬‏

These are older and not as pricey as the ones above...

YouTube - ‪The Colony Apartments For Rent - Charlotte, NC‬‏

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-24-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM

545 posts, read 459,518 times
By the way "UrbanCharlotte", I like your video postings of Charlotte. Keep up the good work. I also hope the Chamber of Commerce is paying you a stipend too for your work! LOL

Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM

urbancharlotte: thanks a lot for your time
millenium, camden, circle - all are really beautiful but lil pricey for the range I had in mind
ashford place/the reserve look more like the kind i was looking for (from pictures)
ashford seems to be too cheap (price) and makes me worry about safety etc

I agree with rancenc, nice video postings!!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 AM

my ideal apartment would be something like "Fat City Lofts" though
(3123 N. Davidson Street, Charlotte, NC 28205)
is that a safe area to live in?

thanks in advance!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
By the way "UrbanCharlotte", I like your video postings of Charlotte. Keep up the good work. I also hope the Chamber of Commerce is paying you a stipend too for your work! LOL

Just hope he doesn't get in trouble for posting real estate links!

I do agree Southend is a good location for the OP.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:

thanks in advance!
Well, you'll have about a 30 minute commute to work in traffic from there. But if that's okay with you you might like living in NoDa.

I like the Fat City Lofts location in No Da (there are some parts of that neighborhood I would not recommend living in due to safety concerns).

They are basically right in the center of things so you can walk to music shows, restaurants and other boutique type shops.

However, you will not be near any of the big box shopping you say you like and will have to travel by car for all that.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 PM

lovesMountains: thanks a lot for your advice about South End and NoDa
South End's $1000+ p.m. will just get lil expensive for me.

Also, I like to drive for shopping, restaurants, etc. so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the reminder about traffic and time.
I did some more research on loft-layout apartments and now I have lot more options:

Fat City Lofts, Waterford Lake Apartments, Ceilo, The Arboretum, Wesley Village Apartments, Alpha Mill Apartments, Camden Foxcroft, Circle at South End ("A" being my place of work on map)

Since I live alone, safety is one of the biggest factors.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Charlotte from Durham-options.jpg  

Old 07-05-2011, 12:13 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,992,152 times
Quote:
ashford seems to be too cheap (price) and makes me worry about safety etc
Funny because I lived in Ashford Place for almost a year when I returned to Charlotte back in 2007. The place is about 50-60% Hispanic and ALL of my neighbors were VERY friendly/nice folks. The only reason why I moved was because my wife and I were ready to buy. The apartments next door to Ashford Place (Lake Mist) are on the "ghetto" side, but still I saw few safety issues when I lived there.

There was one incident where a drunk Hispanic male (not from the neighborhood) drove a pickup truck into 5 cars that were parked in front of Ashford Place's leasing office. I saw the whole thing with my own eyes while coming home from the recently opened LYNX line (the line was only a few months old when this incident happened). No one was hurt (not even the drunk driver), but it did scare some folks. Just south of Ashford Place there are some relatively new apartments near the shopping center that used to house Wal-Mart. I can't remember the name of these apartments, but they are within your price range. Here's their location...

7768 State Road 1308, Charlotte, North Carolina - Google Maps

^^^IMO, these are nicer than Ashford Place, closer to a light rail station (Arrowood), and have more restaurants within walking distance. Above all else, these apartments are probably safer simply because the "ghetto" areas of this zip code are not as close to these new apartments as they are to Ashford Place.
Quote:
That is in the heart of Noda which has seen a lot of gentrification over the last 20 years. As a result, the area is relatively safe (but I would NOT go strolling through the areas that border Noda at night; North Tryon near Craighead and The Plaza near Shamrock). The only issue with Noda is that you would be nowhere near the SouthPark area of town. Other than that, Fat City Lofts would put you in between some nice local restaurants and a YMCA that I tend to frequent (was just there yesterday on the 4th). My issue with Fat City Lofts is that the ground floor doesn't have retail yet, parking is sketchy at best, and there's no on site leasing office. This property started out as condos, but the economy forced them to become rentals. If you plan on having friends over a lot, they might have to park at the YMCA next door (and even then there is a slight risk of being towed/ticketed). Still though, the floor plans at Fat City can't be beat IMO. Also, the higher floors have great views of uptown's skyline.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
lovesMountains: thanks a lot for your advice about South End and NoDa
South End's $1000+ p.m. will just get lil expensive for me.

Also, I like to drive for shopping, restaurants, etc. so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the reminder about traffic and time.
I did some more research on loft-layout apartments and now I have lot more options:

Fat City Lofts, Waterford Lake Apartments, Ceilo, The Arboretum, Wesley Village Apartments, Alpha Mill Apartments, Camden Foxcroft, Circle at South End ("A" being my place of work on map)

Since I live alone, safety is one of the biggest factors.
So you are female?

If so, I recommend living closer to work for sure - Camden Foxcroft is nice, safe and close The Arboretum is a great area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte