U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM

39 posts, read 72,721 times

Advertisements

I think you should find a job first, narrowing it down to one of the metro's; Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill both have their positives and negatives, as does everyplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
IMHO, you will be bored in Charlotte (unless you live close to uptown) and even more bored in Raleigh/Durham. Being completely honest here...
I don't understand why you're assuming the OP will be bored in either of these areas, both of them have plenty to do. They haven't talked about any of their interests yet so how do you know if they will be bored? Not trying to start any arguments here, just pointing out that there's plenty to do anywhere in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
....I suspect you really didn't set out to do that and was just looking to prove somebody "wrong").
Maybe you should try growing up or not commenting on something you know nothing about such as stating that Ballentine is like S. Fla. I used to live in Boca, so I was simply letting the OP know that your advice was defective.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM

93 posts, read 169,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It is not wise to measure cities by city population alone. Charlotte is by NO MEANS a South Florida. It just isn't...Here's a driving tour of your current metro's prime city...

YouTube - ‪Miami & South Beach Night Tour‬‏

And here's a driving tour of central Charlotte...

YouTube - ‪Uptown Charlotte, NC Night Tour (HD)‬‏

My point here is that you don't have to worry about Charlotte being "too big" for you. Charlotte is the smaller metro of the two (smaller than South Fla; yet larger than Raleigh/Durham). As for your question (Charlotte or Research Triangle) it all depends on what you want in an area. If you are the type that will be hanging around uptown or the South Park area (highend retail) often, then I would highly suggest Charlotte. However, if you are the type that is only interested in a decent place to live (ie no "big city" elements what-so-ever), you won't miss a thing by not choosing Charlotte.

IMHO, you will be bored in Charlotte (unless you live close to uptown) and even more bored in Raleigh/Durham. Being completely honest here...
Well thanks for the video...after watching the one of Charlotte, I must say I thought the city looked really nice at night! I understand what you mean about trying to compare Charlotte to cities here in South FL. I must say the job market seems pretty rough in Charlotte compared to Raleigh which may make my choice easier. Im not finding that many jobs in the medical field in Charlotte compared to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

As for what Im looking for, Im not a high end retail shopper....not to say I dont like shopping but I usually try to shop in budget friendly stores Im looking more for a place with local shops, outdoor markets and venues (love live music), parks and recreation...Im even hoping to take up bike riding so maybe a place that has some trails.....Im not really that into the club scene but having a place to go to experience the night life would be nice. Just hoping to try somewhere new and different to where I currently live and to be able to meet new people (so as long as there are places to socialize with others I think I will do just fine). I was just trying to see if one place has more advantages than the other. Even though the statement of boredom seems kinda discouraging...I appreciate the honesty!

Old 06-26-2011, 02:52 PM

[quote=NCbornandraised;19761602]I think you should find a job first, narrowing it down to one of the metro's; Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill both have their positives and negatives, as does everyplace.

Thanks that is pretty much what I intend to do....seems like my chances of getting a job are higher in the Triangle versus Charlotte. I will continue to look in both places and see what happens I know anywhere I go will be an adjustment and I think Im ready for the challenge

Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,291,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Maybe you should try growing up or not commenting on something you know nothing about such as stating that Ballentine is like S. Fla.
You obviously cannot read. I never said that Ballentyne is like South Florida and you need to stop misquoting people just to make yourself look good. It's really not that serious and you need to find a new hobby pronto. You could have at least tied the point I was trying to make in to the concern I was addressing on the part of the OP, but like I said, it's obvious what you were really trying to do.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 22,241 times
sleeptodream,
What city did you decide to move to?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM

39 posts, read 72,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream247 View Post
Well thanks for the video...after watching the one of Charlotte, I must say I thought the city looked really nice at night! I understand what you mean about trying to compare Charlotte to cities here in South FL. I must say the job market seems pretty rough in Charlotte compared to Raleigh which may make my choice easier. Im not finding that many jobs in the medical field in Charlotte compared to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

As for what Im looking for, Im not a high end retail shopper....not to say I dont like shopping but I usually try to shop in budget friendly stores Im looking more for a place with local shops, outdoor markets and venues (love live music), parks and recreation...Im even hoping to take up bike riding so maybe a place that has some trails.....Im not really that into the club scene but having a place to go to experience the night life would be nice. Just hoping to try somewhere new and different to where I currently live and to be able to meet new people (so as long as there are places to socialize with others I think I will do just fine). I was just trying to see if one place has more advantages than the other. Even though the statement of boredom seems kinda discouraging...I appreciate the honesty!
Sorry, this reply is a little late, but I just now noticed this post. I don't know too much about Charlotte, but the Raleigh area has tons of local shops, outdoor markets, and venues. But what's really exceptional about Raleigh and Cary is their parks and recreation services. Both Raleigh and Cary have extremely great trail systems, you can get almost anywhere in Cary just by riding / walking on a trail; it would certainly take longer, but it can definitley be done (to an extent).

Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWS3 View Post
sleeptodream,
What city did you decide to move to?
Well it looks as though my job prospects are not looking as good as I had hoped. Cant move without lining up a job so I am staying in FL until I can find employment elsewhere. My preference is the Triangle area but Im still considering Charlotte. So the job search continues.....

Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbornandraised View Post
Sorry, this reply is a little late, but I just now noticed this post. I don't know too much about Charlotte, but the Raleigh area has tons of local shops, outdoor markets, and venues. But what's really exceptional about Raleigh and Cary is their parks and recreation services. Both Raleigh and Cary have extremely great trail systems, you can get almost anywhere in Cary just by riding / walking on a trail; it would certainly take longer, but it can definitley be done (to an extent).
Its funny b/c it seemed many people in these forums dont like Cary so I had taken the city of my list of places to check out.....now Im starting to get a better idea of the area from posts such as yours so I think I will keep it in consideration. Now if I could only find a job......

Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 AM

286 posts, read 668,700 times
Smile Coral Springs to Charlotte

We moved to Charlotte 4 years ago from Coral Springs, Fl. We also could not decide Charlotte or Releigh. Flew down here and spent time in both cities. We prefer Charlotte better it had more of a city life, and etc.

You won't have a problem with Charlotte uptown compare to Ft lauderdale. Charlotte is smaller. You really have to come down here and spend time in both areas. I live in the suburb north of Charlotte in Huntersville. much closer then coral springs to ft lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or