U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,475 times

Advertisements

It's like deja vu all over again! I'm thinking, I have seen this before. One year ago, a different mall, but they are still at it, and it's the same vendor.

Mall Kiosk Creeps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,565 times
I was there on Thursday and thought the exact same thing. My favorite is when they ask you if I want to try their product and I say no, thank you. As I walk a little further, they say, 'Can I ask you a quick question?'

I feel in that trap....once.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:37 PM

103 posts, read 122,997 times
I am good with the kiosk when its a cute girl (i never realized that their schtick was Dead Sea salt, that explains why all the girls are from Israel).

But a couple times it was some dude walking up to me and asking if he could take my hand for a moment...not bloody likely...I may be missing something, but it does not seem like that approach offers much chance for success!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:09 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
Just don't make eye contact with them.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM

82 posts, read 199,891 times
I cannot stand this kiosk, regardless of which mall it's in. It's gotten to the point where I switch sides w/my husband and let him deal with them, or we pretend we're on our cell phones. I swear they just don't get it...or care...they must be immune to the (negative) responses they get because they just keep pestering. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is super annoyed by them. It's a shame they sucker enough people to stay in business.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM

38 posts, read 81,252 times
Since I was at Concord Mills yesterday, I'm still trying to get my mind around a "peaceful stroll" on a Saturday . I walk by and totally ignore these people and on the rare times they persist in the chase, I have perfected the icy, drop dead look. I despise the aggressiveness of these people; they are all like this.

I do admit that when I'm with my husband, I do switch sides and make sure he is walking closest to the kiosk. He will get in their faces and yell when he gets harassed. It goes against my upbringing to be rude, but I've found that this is all you can do. If anyone tried to touch me, grab my hand, etc. I would be at the mall office within minutes. There is no way would anyone be putting a product on my face. I understand the employees wanting to give the free samples, but a "no" should be understood as a "no."

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,475 times
Interesting, from wikileaks: Sale of Israeli Dead Sea Prodcts in US based on massive organized fraud, violation of US law http://wikileaks.org/cable/2009/02/09TELAVIV423.html

Quote:
SUMMARY: In the past few years, sales of Dead Sea cosmetics and skincare products at kiosks in shopping malls across America has grown into a huge industry. A lesser-known, but problematic, aspect of the Dead Sea industry is that its personnel is comprised of many young Israelis working on tourist visas, on expired temporary work visas and on training visas. Visa issues are likely to be just the tip of the Dead Sea industry's tax and labor issues iceberg, which has attracted Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of Labor (DOL) investigators' attention in a number of U.S. jurisdictions.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM

11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
NI'Mot stopping is the most effective way to avoid them.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,751 times
Simple Reply Works Every Time.... Me No Speaka.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Two best tricks:

1. Start shouting your head off at the sales people. They will remember you when you come around the next time and likely leave you alone.
2. Much like dealing with hobos, stray animals and carnies don't make eye contact and keep on truckin'. You show the slightest sign of interest/weakness and you are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte