Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:28 PM

38 posts, read 79,007 times

Advertisements

I just want a general opinion of what hours are acceptable to do yardwork during the work week.

I'm a single parent with young kids. I work outside the home which means I can't use "daycare hours" to take care of the yard. I can't leave my children in the house unattended for the 45 minutes to 1 hour it takes me to mow the grass in my yard either. I also can't afford to hire someone to do the yard work I am physically capable of doing myself.

With the summer heat, my best option is to mow the grass early in the morning while my kids are still asleep. I have vowed not to do this on mornings during the weekend since most people like to sleep in on those days.

What is your opinion of acceptable hours to start up the lawn mower during the work week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times
I would say anything after 8:00am would be fine. Anything between 7:00-8:00 should be okay but may offend some people. Anything before 7:00 I would be friendly and tell your close neighbors in advance why you are cutting the lawn so early. I am sure they will understand.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:43 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
7am is fair to me. Anyone who is getting up to go to work is probably awake by that point. And most people would think you are doing it to beat the heat of the day. Before 7am and I'll hit you with a shoe (if you were my neighbor). Weekends, any time after 8am.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
There are clearly written regulations on this. I don't remember exactly what they are but I think you can't run power equipment before 9 AM. Try the CMPD website.

As for looking out for your neighbors, good for you. In my neighborhood, there is basically a continuous drone from 8 AM to 8 PM Saturday and Sunday. If it's a power tool or yard implement, there's at least one running pretty much all weekend.

EDIT-Based on some of the responses, I was curious and looked up the city ordinances on municode.com:

Sec. 15-63. - Sounds impacting residential life.
(a)
It shall be unlawful to carry on the following activities in any residentially zoned area of the city or within 300 feet of any residentially occupied structure in any zone of the city:
(1)
The operation of a front-end loader for refuse collection between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
(2)
The operation of construction machinery between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
(3)
The operation of garage machinery between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
(4)
The operation of lawn mowers and other domestic tools out-of-doors between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
(b)
Any mechanical noise which registers more than 60 db(A) at the nearest complainant's property line will be probable cause for a violation.
(c)
This section shall not apply to operations which are carried on in such a manner or in such a location as not to create sounds exceeding 60 db(A) and shall not apply to emergency operations designed to protect the public health and safety.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 PM

I live in Union County, but my guess would be the codes are pretty universal. I was looking at 6:30, but I can manage waiting till 7:00 am with no problems. My neighbor also just put her house on the market to move closer to her children, so I'm sure she won't mind me taking care of my yard to help with her property value. I'm thinking that during the week, I can get away with 7 instead of 8 since most people in my neighborhood are either retired and seem to get up that early anyway, or are getting ready for work already.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
My personal preference is to wait until after 8. I've read the codes before but I know a lot of people like to sleep in a little later and it doesn't kill me to wait an hour.

But, if you need to start at 7 I say start at 7. If anyone complains let them know your situation and they will either understand or they won't.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhelms View Post
I just want a general opinion of what hours are acceptable to do yardwork during the work week.

I'm a single parent with young kids. I work outside the home which means I can't use "daycare hours" to take care of the yard. I can't leave my children in the house unattended for the 45 minutes to 1 hour it takes me to mow the grass in my yard either. I also can't afford to hire someone to do the yard work I am physically capable of doing myself.

With the summer heat, my best option is to mow the grass early in the morning while my kids are still asleep. I have vowed not to do this on mornings during the weekend since most people like to sleep in on those days.

What is your opinion of acceptable hours to start up the lawn mower during the work week?
On a M-F I'd say wait till 8:00 at least to be most polite.

However, if you really need to start earlier in order to get to work on time talk to your closest neighbors. Explain your situation and problem and ask if starting at 7:00 a.m. once a week would be too unacceptable to them. You may find they are up and gone by then themselves and would therefore not care

Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
I am sure I'm in the minority, but I enjoy the sound of my neighbors mowing their lawns. My next-door-neighbor mows early in the morning sometimes, and it will initially wake me up, but then it puts me into a deep sleep.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM

I typically need to be in the office by 8. I'm lucky enough to have a daycare and office that form a 5 mile triangle with my house. I can push getting in to the office by 30 minutes to an hour if I'm lucky, but my boss isn't going to want to hear "I had to mow the grass" as a reason. Of course, he doesn't come in till 9 anyway.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhelms View Post
I typically need to be in the office by 8. I'm lucky enough to have a daycare and office that form a 5 mile triangle with my house. I can push getting in to the office by 30 minutes to an hour if I'm lucky, but my boss isn't going to want to hear "I had to mow the grass" as a reason. Of course, he doesn't come in till 9 anyway.

In that case, try this...put your kids to bed at 8:00 and THEN mow. I used to mow late like that in the summer all the time. It's much cooler then and the drone of the machine might actually lull your babies to sleep inside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte