Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:33 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think being PC is better whether genuine or not. I would much rather here a person who hates my skin color tell me "No sir, or Sorry Mr." than hear them scream "get the f### out of here #####"

Why is being offensive to someone applauded nowadays and being offended by it frowned upon? Is it a reality TV thing?

I seriously believe people are defending these actions because they say the same things in private. I can't see any other reason why a person would justify ignorance.
Applauded by who? Not by me... I'm just referring to sensitivity (and some slack) to how other cultures deal with discrimination.

Beyond that, we know that screaming scenario of yours happens in smalltown US of A. So we should take exception to those folks who are born and raised American. An immigrant coming from a place where it's the social norm shouldn't be blasted for not being PC. Americans invented the term and we don't even live by it everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,240 times
Mr. Wang, I think you should reconsider moving here at all. Charlotte is a very diverse city. You will most likely have African American and Hispanic neighbors anywhere you choose to live.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 10,993 times
Default Thanks for giving me a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
It sounds as if Mr. Wang's first language is not English. Please give the man a break. He did apologize.

Mr Wang, where you should purchase a home will depend upon where you are going to work or go to school. If you could give us a little more information, we could provide more advice.

Dear Sir / Madam
Hi! I apologize for my poor English,my first language is Latin Romanian.I am a student in Shanghai , and I'm moving to Charlotte

Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM

308 posts, read 617,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Ashuko Aime View Post
I am moving to Charlotte this year but I wanna know where is better for me to buy a house? I am definitely not willing to live with hispanic or black neighbours not because racism but other motives.I'd like a peaceful life and a place with low criminal rates .Can someone suggest me a place like that?I can pay max 250000 for a house in an area with American or European(white) neighbours . I would appreciate it if someone can lend me a helping hand...Thanks ,
Up to this point, the Lake Norman area is pretty close to what you are seeking. That would be Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, Mooresville, Denver or even Mathews. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I know you said you didn't mean racist... but this is EXACTLY what racism is, judging a whole group of people by their race, and allowing fear of a group to override personal connection and experience.

If you don't mean to be racist, then don't mention race - just ask for low-crime areas. Those areas may be diverse, but your goal will be met. Don't allow your friend's fear dictate your experience; there are many wonderful people of many different races in Charlotte.
I frequently see blacks and other ethnicities asking about neighbourhoods that prodominately consist of their ethnicity. I can't recall seeing anyone repremanding them or lecturing them on racism.

I am pretty sure that an educated black or Hispanic would understand the concerns of the poster. Everyone as the right to live wherever he/she desires. It is "not" O.K. for certain races to be allowed to inquire about the demographic makeup of Charlotte in regards to crime or any other issue and frowned upon if asked by another another. That is simply hypocracy.

Many of us won't admit it but what this gentleman is asking is what most of us consider before a move. Unfortunately, many of us are tend to be politically correct (hypocrates).

Maybe he didn't articulate his inquiry to a desired level, but he is obviously from Asia and is likely used to being up front.

Last edited by newcomerfromuk; 07-04-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 8,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
I frequently see blacks and other ethnicities asking about neighbourhoods that prodominately consist of their ethnicity. I can't recall seeing anyone repremanding them or lecturing them on racism.

I am pretty sure that an educated black or Hispanic would understand the concerns of the poster. Everyone as the right to live wherever he/she desires. It is "not" O.K. for certain races to be allowed to inquire about the demographic makeup of Charlotte in regards to crime or any other issue and frowned upon if asked by another another. That is simply hypocracy.

Many of us won't admit it but what this gentleman is asking is what most of us consider before a move. Unfortunately, many of us are tend to be politically correct (hypocrates).

Maybe he didn't articulate his inquiry to a desired level, but he is obviously from Asia and is likely used to being up front.
I have not seen minorities asking about neighborhoods of predominately their ethnicity or race. They ask about diversity which includes their race. As a minority, they don't want to stand out. So, this is totally different. They don't say "I do not want to live where there are _____(races)".

Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM

I have seen the question asked by blacks, Jews, Catholics, South Americans, Indians, and even people from other states. Most people prefer to live with others that share the same interests and behaviours. This person showed a desire to live with Asians or whites. There was nothing wrong with that. His mistake was that he gave an honest reason. In today's society, only select groups can get away with insulting racial comments. Obviously not Asians. His posting shouldn't even be an issue. He only wants to live in as safe of a place as he can. It is pretty easy to understand. Doesn't everyone?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:46 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
He was just asking what countless other people ask all the time, except he didn't use any coded language. Most ask about "good" areas or "safe" areas when looking for places to live and no one complains then. It's obvious what they mean and even more obvious from the replies as many posters here try to steer them towards predominately White parts of town.

I live in a mixed area where there are a lot of Blacks and Hispanics. The crime is high. That's the way it is, but I like where I live. I take the crime rate as a fact of life. Not everyone can cope. I understand that. Anyone that cries about racism is either a fool or willfully ignorant. I appreciate Mr. Wang's honesty.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:14 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
He was also going by what someone else had told him as he mentioned. Maybe he will get here and realize his friend was wrong. He probably does not know any better and hopefully he will meet others of different races that will help him to form his own opinion.
Welcome to Charlotte and good luck Mr. Wang

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 AM

149 posts, read 232,066 times
I'm black, and you could live next to me. I haven't committed a felony in weeks. Takin' it one day at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte