U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Read what I posted again because this is exactly what they did. Mr Agnew stated the CMPD told him to reverse his hat. When he refused it was at that time they arrested him. Since there is no law against wearing hats backwards, they charged him with trespassing. I also said this was alleged by Mr. Agnew and since the other side is completely silent on the matter, this is all there is to go on.

It really helps to read what was actually posted when making a response.
If true, I don't think the police were trying to enforce the dress code. Instead, they were giving the person a chance to remove the issue that was causing the trespass.

Negotiating what the cops probably thought was trivial to save the guy a trip to the popo station probably seemed reasonable at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The point is CMPD can NOT tell anyone to turn a hat around.
I doubt CMPD said "Turn your hat around". Maybe they said "how about you turn your hat around so we can all just forget this incident and you can enjoy your evening".

Cops often try to diffuse a situation because they know otherwise it can get out of hand.

But I really doubt they put it as an order.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,583,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So if they can't approach him, then how could they arrest him?

They approached him b/c they were requested to do so - and they had to tell him why they were going to arrest him.

Here is scene:

Police approach.

CMPD: "You are under arrest for trespassing."

Agnew:"Why?"

CMPD: "Cause you have you hat turned backwards."

Agnew: "Why is that a problem?"

CMPD: "If you turn it around, it won't be a problem, but as it is, we have to arrest you per Epicentre dress code."

Agnew: "Well, I am not turning it around."

CMPD: "You are under arrest."
Who said they couldn't approach him?

You are building YOUR scenario here, other comments are based on what has made it to the public light thus far.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I doubt CMPD said "Turn your hat around". Maybe they said "how about you turn your hat around so we can all just forget this incident and you can enjoy your evening".

Cops often try to diffuse a situation because they know otherwise it can get out of hand.

But I really doubt they put it as an order.
That is the thing, no one knows what CMPD said or didn't say.....all that any of us have to go on is what has been let out to the public thus far.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That is the thing, no one knows what CMPD said or didn't say.....all that any of us have to go on is what has been let out to the public thus far.
I guess that's what the trial is for and why CMPD isn't talking now? Not sure but if it isn't settled then the question might come up if it goes to trial.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Wow. So now it's from whiney little cry baby to this? Way to waste more of our money, resources, and time you clown... Seriously, look around and do something productive with your life.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Chrome, I think a lot of you, and I swear I'm not picking, but help me be clear- dude is wearing his hat backwards. Security asks him to reverse it. Dude refuses. CMPD is called. Allegedly CMPD asks him to reverse it, and when he doesnt, dude is arrested for trespass. Right?

Are you suggesting that there would be no question if CMPD came, and hauled the guy off to jail, on a trespass charge? Is it not plausible that the arresting cop said something along the lines of "hey man, just turn your hat around, and they won't have any problem with you"? If the guy was offered (multiple) chances to comply, and /or leave, doesnt it seem that maybe he was trying to instigate something?

Its hard for me to muster any sympathy for the "victim" in this whole scenario, seeing as there is a clearly displayed dress code. If you dont want issues, either (a) follow the dress code, or (b) dont patronize a business with whose dress code you dont agree.

If someone is trespassing then absolutely call CMPD, and have them resolve the issue by removing the person. But IF CMPD approached them and gave the command to turn the hat around (as the "victim" has suggested) then they are in trouble. They simply can't do that.

I am not siding with anyone here at this point. I wish CMPD would comment on this issue and put it to bed. I for one dislike opportunists who are sue-happy (the jesse sharpton clan) and I hope that what we are hearing is all talk from this guy. I hope that he is proven to be a clown. I sure don't have sympathy for someone who acts like this, not at all. He should have complied with the rules. And moreso, I hope my favorite boys in blue didn't do something so dumb.

Thanks Hoagie!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I guess that's what the trial is for and why CMPD isn't talking now? Not sure but if it isn't settled then the question might come up if it goes to trial.

I sure wish they would talk.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Looks as if the video that I commented on in the OP has changed somewhat. It's omits the portion that I cited this morning from a representative of the Charlotte CRC who said this..
"It (Epicenter) is on our radar now. People are.... are suspecting that the Epicenter or establishments at the Epicenter are illegally discriminating against them."
Committee Investigates Claim Of Racial Discrimination At EpiCentre - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM

21,882 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Rule #1 when facing a trial: Keep your mouth shut to the press, no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or