U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Do you beleive that 100% of HOA are a "scourge in society"? If not, what percentage do you believe might be doing some good for their community?
Very, very few. Perhaps less than 5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Very, very few. Perhaps less than 5%
and your source of data is??

Old 07-02-2011, 12:47 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,782,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
There are many many people who are extremely happy w/their HOA and the rules in the neighborhood. I understand some people clench their teeth when someone says that, but its the truth. I'm a perfect example of that.

different strokes...people can be happy in one or w/o.....
I'm not clenching my teeth We chose to live in this community. We read the C&R's before signing on the doted line. Our HOA is one of the better ones. I'm one of the few residents here that actually attends the HOA mtgs (other than the annual one). I get involved in my community. We're happy here.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
I'm not clenching my teeth We chose to live in this community. We read the C&R's before signing on the doted line. Our HOA is one of the better ones. I'm one of the few residents here that actually attends the HOA mtgs (other than the annual one). I get involved in my community. We're happy here.
Neither am I. I get involved and try to be reasonable w/the people who volunteer their time and do things others complain about...

I can speak for mine and they do a great job (so I don't know where the 5% comes from....)

Old 07-02-2011, 06:43 PM

2,818 posts, read 3,332,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
This claim was never made. The point being the HOA has to be incorporated as a non-profit in this state and it is 100% controlled by the lot owners. They alone get to choose what happens to the HOA including dissolving said HOA. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make here. HOAs are not manditory in NC, they are not retroactive on existing homes without them, and anyone moving into one does so by choice. Nothing more American than that.
Uh, 100% controlled by an extreme minority number of the lot owners. Initially just the declarant. After the period of declarant control, only a majority (not all) have to be lot owners - like the declarant. In any event, the HOA corporation only represents the interests of those controlling its board.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:34 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
and your source of data is??
You asked for my BELIEF, not factual data. However, my belief is founded in my discussions with friends, colleagues, co-workers and also...this forum. I have found that very few...possibly 5% or less of the people that I know that are in an HOA like it. Quite a few of my friends are like me, northern transplants who never heard of an HOA before moving into one and had no idea what they were in for. They, like me, are incredulous that an organization exists that can (legally) tell someone that owns a property what they can/cannot do with said property. I have yet to find someone that I know personally (not on this forum) that says that this is a good thing.

SO, factual data: NO. Just the educated guess of someone who discusses this subject rather frequently among friends & others.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,658,411 times
I've live in two neighborhoods with HOAs and both have been positive experiences and an asset to the neighborhood. Success is due to dedicated neighbors wiling to volunteer their time and put the interests of the neighborhood ahead of selfish needs. An important element is the strong financials of the HOa. I would bet many of the negative experiences of HOAs are lowerend (price point) subdivisions or with selfish committee members with alternative motives. My subdivision has many committee members (including myself) that are real professional people and we due our due deligence and follow the bypass to the T. Our annual budget is also over $500k and our dues have gone up only ($25) and we are fortunate to have > 6 figures in the bank.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 AM

308 posts, read 529,413 times
I may have mentioned before that a local Indian company has started housing immigrants fresh off the banana boat across the street. For month, the curtains were loud coloured towells that hung on windows covered with inspector violation stickers that hadn't been removed. Dirty clothes were hung on the rail of their front porch (reminded me of Naples). Trash was being thrown in their yard that neighbours were picking up. This was in a HOA community thankfully. The HOA was able to contact the owner and give a deadline to take down the obnoxious towells and start complying. If it hadn't been for the HOA, there would have been no intervention and the devaluation of properties would have accelerated.

Some on this thread just don't uderstand that the HOA board is made up only of voted in members. All property owners have equal status and are normally encouraged to hold an office on the board or at least be active. It is not a small group of people that do as they wish. All actions are voted upon and are the response of a majority vote. The exception are emergencies the require immediate action, ie. sewage issues.

The only requirements that are made of HOAs are generally keeping lawns at a presentable level, parking, safety issues, and in some cases, lawn maintainence from a company.

IN my neighbourhood, I regularly volunteer to assist in maintaining the abandoned lots from the developer or wherever I am needed. I have noticed that although there are only a few families originally from this area (most are either foreign or from the north), they are the only ones that actually participate in physical endeavours or become involved in matters to improve the community. Others may jump on an opportunity to give bogus advise, but nothing actually substantial.

For one to say that only 5 percent of the people he/she knows approves of HOAs tell me that the other 95 can't control their pets and/or children, keep a clean place, maintain their yard, or do the other things that are normal in society. Furthermore, there are HOAs in most new neighbourhoods in the U.S. today, not just the south.

Anyone that moves here from a large, diversely populated city would understand that HOAs are a good thing to keep communities from going third world in many cases. Those that don't care, don't support HOAs.

Final note, if you don't like your HOA or the rules, run for office, attend meetings, or stop complaining. It is like voting in elections, if you don't vote, you have no reason to complain.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
You asked for my BELIEF, not factual data. However, my belief is founded in my discussions with friends, colleagues, co-workers and also...this forum. I have found that very few...possibly 5% or less of the people that I know that are in an HOA like it. Quite a few of my friends are like me, northern transplants who never heard of an HOA before moving into one and had no idea what they were in for. They, like me, are incredulous that an organization exists that can (legally) tell someone that owns a property what they can/cannot do with said property. I have yet to find someone that I know personally (not on this forum) that says that this is a good thing.

SO, factual data: NO. Just the educated guess of someone who discusses this subject rather frequently among friends & others.
Oh, OK, I thought you had some real numbers. Me bad. Educated guesses are acceptable I guess because the rules of this forum are.... poster's opinions are OK as long as you you don't charge $$ for them.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM

308 posts, read 529,413 times
Yea, but come on, five percent? hehehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte