Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:36 PM

26 posts, read 82,759 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am a Hispanic woman married to an Asian man. We are very interested in relocating to the Charlotte area, maybe Concord. I have been reading several threads expressing dislike for Hispanics. I don't want to move into a hostile environment. We are from San Diego, California where it is very diverse. Can anyone tell me what a family like mine can expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 03:38 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cri cri View Post
Hi. I am a Hispanic woman married to an Asian man. We are very interested in relocating to the Charlotte area, maybe Concord. I have been reading several threads expressing dislike for Hispanics. I don't want to move into a hostile environment. We are from San Diego, California where it is very diverse. Can anyone tell me what a family like mine can expect?
You can expect friendly people. Charlotte is a very diverse city. Blacks, whites, Asians and Hispanics all get along fine. Don't go by the media and a few isolated hatred incidents. This can happen in every area of the country.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:49 PM

This makes me feel a lot better. I was primarily concerned for my little sister as children are less resilient than adults when it comes to racial discrimination. I have visited NC and everyone I encountered was friendly except for one lady I met at the Biltmore Estate who kept staring at me and whispering racial comments to her boyfriend. All I had to do was say, "Hi. I noticed you looking at me. May I help you? I possess great customer service skills and if there is anything I can help you with, it would be my pleasure to assist you." She stopped staring and walked away. Thank you again.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
In all my time here I rarely see anyone express a dislike for Hispanics - not sure, but what I think you are seeing is people expressing frustration with ILLEGAL Hispanics - a totally different subject.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Yes, totally different subject. Im here legally by the way. I was born here but speak fluent Spanish. Im glad to hear Charlotte is quite diverse.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
This makes me feel a lot better. I was primarily concerned for my little sister as children are less resilient than adults when it comes to racial discrimination. I have visited NC and everyone I encountered was friendly except for one lady I met at the Biltmore Estate who kept staring at me and whispering racial comments to her boyfriend. All I had to do was say, "Hi. I noticed you looking at me. May I help you? I possess great customer service skills and if there is anything I can help you with, it would be my pleasure to assist you." She stopped staring and walked away. Thank you again.

Sorry about your experience at Biltmore but LOVE your response to her!!
NC mountains towns and some small towns in NC are lacking diversity so expect some backwards gossip if you venture in those areas but dont be afraid to enjoy the mountains though.

Charlotte is a nice mix of various cultures. I highly suggest find a good bench uptown and sit and people watch and you will realize this area is nice mix of people with different ethnic backgrounds.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:01 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times
I concur. Any flare regarding Hispanic discrimination or what have you is all geared towards Illegal Immigrants. The local news media, namely the liberal Charlotte Observer, will have you believe because you are against illegals you are against latinos. This is simply not true. I am totally for a mixed culture and immigration, but I am totally against illegal immigration and those who wish to not integrate into our English speaking society.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:11 PM

29 posts, read 165,684 times
Also remember that some people are more showing culture shock than true burn a cross in your yard racism. The south is a pretty "gawky" place, people virtually stopping to peer into cars on the side of a highway after an accident, staring at people etc. When I first came down to the Carolinas from NY I thought it was an animosity thing but learned otherwise. Some friends and family were put off by it too initially.
In my recent house hunting travels I was surprised by the number of asians I have seen. I think you and your husband will be fine. If you can tolerate California, Charlotte wont be a problem. There's virtually no gangs among other issues that go along with Cali- like earthquakes. I'm from Los Angeles originally btw.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM

38 posts, read 99,610 times
Quote:

hi i just moved from san diego ca ( eastlake bonita area ) less then a year ago . im also hispanic, but what i found was that nc charlotte is a bit differnt from san diego , you have alot more mix culture in san diego then you do here. but people are really nice and friendly, ( its differnt ) the weather is better in san diego , but housing is so much more affordable here, i sold my condo in eastlake and bought a 4000 sq ft home, schools are better, depends on the area you move too, also i miss having the beach 15 mins away
you will like it here....

Old 07-26-2007, 02:00 PM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
My fiance is asian (viet) and i'm plain old white. We get looks but nothing too bad. We live in the LKN area so its more diverse than some areas and alot of transplants who lived around mixed race couples from where they came from.

Just so you know. The asian food down here leaves alot to be desired compared to Cali. We're from Boston and good asian food is the one thing we miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte