U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times

Advertisements

Take 321 to Blowing Rock. Get on the Blueridge Parkway Blue Ridge Parkway - Home & drive south to Asheville. There are designated picnic areas. Linville Falls is on the way & has hiking trails. Top 20 NC Waterfalls near Asheville

This could be a separate trip. Land of Waterfalls | Brevard & Transylvania County, NC, Tourism: outdoor recreation, arts & culture, accommodations, dining and more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM

747 posts, read 1,545,451 times
We had a great time at South Mountains State Park.
The hike starts out as easy as it gets (paved trail) and very gradually increases in difficulty, so you can just turn around when you reach the level of difficulty you want.

Happehart, if you somewhere this weekend, can you please report back? It's supposed to be 99 degrees here. I'd like to know how it is up there.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 AM

983 posts, read 2,170,891 times
Default Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Happehart, if you somewhere this weekend, can you please report back? It's supposed to be 99 degrees here. I'd like to know how it is up there.
I am taking my laptop with me so I can stay in touch with everyone. Funny, every time I am talking with my mother something she says "Ask your friends"

Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I am taking my laptop with me so I can stay in touch with everyone.
LOL! We can wait til you get back.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM

38 posts, read 136,704 times
Wow, thanks for all the responses. If we don't get to do it this weekend with the company, I think we'll do it next weekend without. Thanks so much!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 PM

I was checking out the website for Grandfather Mountain. I was surprised by the cost. It would cost me 70 bucks for my family. What do I get for that? Do we have to pay 70 bucks to look at nature, or are there some amenities included in that?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,128,507 times
Quote:
We had a great time at South Mountains State Park.
The hike starts out as easy as it gets (paved trail) and very gradually increases in difficulty, so you can just turn around when you reach the level of difficulty you want.

I can happily report that I was in the mountains this past weekend (VA/NC border). When we left Charlotte it was 95 degrees and humid. When we arrived in VA it was 72 and absolutely beautiful. Slept outside all weekend and it was beautifully cool and breezy. It was a very nice break!

I was about three hours away, in the Damascus area.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
I was checking out the website for Grandfather Mountain. I was surprised by the cost. It would cost me 70 bucks for my family. What do I get for that? Do we have to pay 70 bucks to look at nature, or are there some amenities included in that?
Just check out the website to see all that is available for the price of admission.

Grandfather is privately owned and maintained, fees go toward the care of the animals in the habitat, conservation efforts, maintenance of the beautiful trails etc.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM

972 posts, read 2,136,984 times
Quote:
Their website lists everything. We were there last Friday when wind gusts at the top were almost 60 mph. I might have found the whole experence more likeable if we weren't fighting the wind to keep our shirts on.

The website describes everything pretty well: GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN : Wonders Never Cease | Towering almost 6,000 feet above Northwest North Carolina, Grandfather Mountain presents guests with opportunities for rejuvenation, excitement and family memories in a natural haven that will endure for g

We did not think it was worth the costs except for the amazing views. The hikes listed were either too easy or too difficult for us. Only a few animals were out in the nature area. The museum part was interesting but small. The fudge shop was nice, though.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Something to add in addition to visiting GFM about 30 minutes south either hwy 221 or Blue Ridge Parkway is Linville Caverns
Linville Caverns, NC Photo Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte