Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,142 times

Advertisements

I always assumed the higher grades just meant they paid off the inspectors, but then I'm cynical that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
I always assumed the higher grades just meant they paid off the inspectors, but then I'm cynical that way.
someone has lived in Illinois!

(and you are really not far off, either...I've seen some questionable stuff)

Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Well tonight I was picking up a pizza at Pizza Hut and the grade was 93.5. Then I noticed their ServeSafe certification which means the raw score was 91.5. Then I was about to get ticked for the policy of them opening the pizza boxes so you can make sure it's "OK" which of course releases all the heat.

Ends up I ordered the wrong pizza. They offered to fix it free as long as I could wait which I did.

So a weird night for me but I wanted to pass along the trick with the ServeSafe certificates. That certificate is worth 2 points if you see them near a relatively low score you might want to do the math.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
as a former restaurant manager, I can tell you that the standards here are FAR lower than those in SC. I was very surprised. And, I also look for the restaurant grades. Won't eat anywhere less than a 95.

Also look to see what they were cited for. Bugs in the kitchen...yeah, not so much. YUK!!! a bucket of pickles on the walk in floor...well, that is hardly a horrible offense. Sometimes the inspectors just get nuts. (yes, it is an infraction, but, something that can be easily fixed, not like mold or bugs)
I agree with this. You see violations for things sometimes like where they store things in the fridge, or yes, employee drinks near a food prep area, and I'm like...meh. I'm not too worried about that.

But mold and bugs and not hand washing or sanitizing, etc. Yeah, I draw the line there.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
I think that "too low" varies by county.

A restaurant came into Kings Mountain which also operates an establishment in another county. They get good grades in the other county. (The Cleveland County inspections are published in the Shelby Star & the Gaston County inspections are published in the Gaston Gazette.) The Cleveland County inspectors have consistantly given then grades in the high 80s & low 90s. Their most recent score was 88 & the inspection said that there is to be a notice posted that there is intention to pull their license. (I guess one more inspection & if things aren't drastically changed?)

Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that "too low" varies by county.

A restaurant came into Kings Mountain which also operates an establishment in another county. They get good grades in the other county. (The Cleveland County inspections are published in the Shelby Star & the Gaston County inspections are published in the Gaston Gazette.) The Cleveland County inspectors have consistantly given then grades in the high 80s & low 90s. Their most recent score was 88 & the inspection said that there is to be a notice posted that there is intention to pull their license. (I guess one more inspection & if things aren't drastically changed?)
Could be the county inspectors are more picky in one area than another but to a degree it could also be difference between stores. Westpark location of Chili's got a base score of 90.5 in 28217. Kabuto on Tyvola got a base score of 89. This is from the 23rd. I'm too lazy to go lookup other locations but for Chili's especially they should be doing better.

But one employee put their coffee on top of the smoker in the kitchen. I don't know what it is with employees and keeping personal drinks away from food cooking surfaces but that's an example of a critical violation that seems to zap a lot of folks.

But how long has that location been there? 20 years? It's a shame to loose points to something like that but they lost a lot more points during that inspection.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Could be the county inspectors are more picky in one area than another but to a degree it could also be difference between stores. Westpark location of Chili's got a base score of 90.5 in 28217. Kabuto on Tyvola got a base score of 89. This is from the 23rd. I'm too lazy to go lookup other locations but for Chili's especially they should be doing better.

But one employee put their coffee on top of the smoker in the kitchen. I don't know what it is with employees and keeping personal drinks away from food cooking surfaces but that's an example of a critical violation that seems to zap a lot of folks.

But how long has that location been there? 20 years? It's a shame to loose points to something like that but they lost a lot more points during that inspection.
The Kings Mountain location has been open less than a year. A couple of employees are shared by both locations. The Cleveland County inspectors dinged one for using an "unauthorized implement" in the kitchen, this time.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,079 times
To be honest. The grading scale is up to the inspector. Granted he/she follows a standard. I have seen places that are new never served the first customer, cooked the first item. Fail. The standards are up to the inspectors. These are updated as time moves forward. Thing is the eating establishment does not have to do those up grades until they change hands or some other big event. I have eaten at places with an A Grade number score in the mid upper 90's and the food taste like crap. Then on the flip side eaten at a hole in the wall rated below a B. Best food ever.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
To be honest. The grading scale is up to the inspector. Granted he/she follows a standard. I have seen places that are new never served the first customer, cooked the first item. Fail. The standards are up to the inspectors. These are updated as time moves forward. Thing is the eating establishment does not have to do those up grades until they change hands or some other big event. I have eaten at places with an A Grade number score in the mid upper 90's and the food taste like crap. Then on the flip side eaten at a hole in the wall rated below a B. Best food ever.
I go back to what I said at the start with "honest dirt" which might be what you're thinking of with a sub B establishment. I'm just saying the stuff I've read in Mecklenburg isn't about a bit of dirt. It's about stuff that in some cases is pretty shocking.

If you want to see a sample of a week's worth of inspections that just lists critical violations ONLY see Restaurant Sanitation Report as of 6/24 | Real Mecklenburg you can also click through to the full version of the reports.

I'm not sure what you mean by grading scale though.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
Goodness. Several "B"s and a lot of very low 90s in that report. Cuts across the spectrum too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte