U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM

37 posts, read 46,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
And I was just gonna say why do you want to move south anyway? I cant wait to get back up north...... cant wait..
Been up North too long and hopefully can find opportunity for both me my wife. Like I said if you dig the North that is your thing,but I have always loved the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Exactly. This is what made me wonder when I asked what is so offensive about Midwesterners that everybody knows. I don't know. But, I'm guessing, like you, that whatever "it" is is here in Kings Mountain, & if "it" is here, it's in Charlotte 10 times more.

You & I are the only posters who've asked out right. We have both been rebuffed. I wish the OP luck finding what it is that he wants & escaping whatever it is that he dislikes, but I don't know if it's going to be here.
Well,thanks for your post. And if isn't here then it will be somewhere else...from where I stand I do have the freedom to look and see if a place fits the things my wife and I enjoy. If you are desperately are seeking the "why's"....of why we want to move I can share with you that we are both looking for the best opportunities and down South is one many places we are looking and it does relate to what I am going to school for. Did I need to confirm that with anyone? No, but my post was speaking of being curious about moving to Charlotte.

Last edited by blakmak37; 07-05-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Oh and I would like to say to everyone good or bad THANK YOU,for giving me some info,though it seems more bad than good,but like I said me and my wife will be down to see more of the city and continue to see if this is a place to start a family.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM

9,568 posts, read 8,851,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakmak37 View Post
Been up North too long and hopefully can find opportunity for both me my wife. Like I said if you dig the North that is your thing,but I have always loved the South.
I hear you on that. Well, I used to love the sun and summertime. The 4 seasons of the north made the anticipation of summer so great..and I loved summer the hot days, the humid days ..it did not matter. But here, the summer feel has been eroded. Every day is hot and or humid , the joy of going out in the warmth is gone. Careful what you wish for. I thought I wanted it hot all the time too...I was wrong.....

Old 07-05-2011, 06:04 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
I hear you on that. Well, I used to love the sun and summertime. The 4 seasons of the north made the anticipation of summer so great..and I loved summer the hot days, the humid days ..it did not matter. But here, the summer feel has been eroded. Every day is hot and or humid , the joy of going out in the warmth is gone. Careful what you wish for. I thought I wanted it hot all the time too...I was wrong.....
There are 4 distinct seasons here, with winters being milder than nothern cities. I understand your pain if the heat is getting to you, I love the heat and humidity (southern raised), but dare not reside in it for long periods of time during the day. Much like I avoided those sub-zero wind chill evenings/nights in Chi-town, brutal, just down right brutal; and begging to see the sun again on some of those tough winter stretches.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
The brutal winters for the past few years have been depressing. Looking forward to milder climate in the winter and don't mind the heat and humidity.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
There are 4 distinct seasons here, with winters being milder than nothern cities. I understand your pain if the heat is getting to you, I love the heat and humidity (southern raised), but dare not reside in it for long periods of time during the day. Much like I avoided those sub-zero wind chill evenings/nights in Chi-town, brutal, just down right brutal; and begging to see the sun again on some of those tough winter stretches.
Yep, its all in what you can handle , brutal cold or extreme heat are no fun to be out in. It becomes a case of what you can deal with better.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Yep, its all in what you can handle , brutal cold or extreme heat are no fun to be out in. It becomes a case of what you can deal with better.
I second that, but in reality, you still get your northern summer here (weather wise). It occurs in late spring and early autumn...I know...I know, you'll miss celebrating the 4th, etc; instead of July 4th, celebrate September 4th under the sun. Today's weather isn't too bad, moderate humidity (for us) and not steamy hot; potential for late day thunderstorms, typical southern day.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I second that, but in reality, you still get your northern summer here (weather wise). It occurs in late spring and early autumn...I know...I know, you'll miss celebrating the 4th, etc; instead of July 4th, celebrate September 4th under the sun. Today's weather isn't too bad, moderate humidity (for us) and not steamy hot; potential for late day thunderstorms, typical southern day.
Yea..its the time between late spring and early autumn that is so painful though. I for the life of me cannot get used to the heat..never will. Its so funny, we hear about the cold and snow up north, but most northerners I know think WE are nuts to live in this sweltering heat..its all relative. You say today isnt bad..I just went outside for a minute and ran back in like there was a snowstorm going on..its humid, hot and plain disgusting...

Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,786,141 times
If you are considering Charlotte with the reasons you have given, then you ought to do yourself a favor and consider Raleigh, Columbia, & Greenville (the one in SC) as well. Charlotte has a lot of issues as indicated above, and isn't particularly friendly to those looking for jobs, so you might want to look around at more than this place before you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or