U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 AM
 
29,740 posts, read 34,767,919 times
Reputation: 11631

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Also, employers are not hiring those that are currently unemployed. This is a fact faced by my son who has been out of work since 2009.

He has applied for entry level jobs and been refused (he made too much money at his previous job), applied for jobs at his level, you name it...nothing.

Most of the jobs that are announced are mechanical (he has no mechanical ability) or spread out over the next 5 years .... none respond to resumes or applications.

It is a really bad place to be in. People need to see it for what it is.
you have contributed much to answering the question. There are at any given time over 3 million job vacancies in the U.S. The problem is many of them are skilled manufacturing jobs and remain vacant because of a skilled worker shortage. Thus those with the skills can transplant, find work and not be counted as unemployed for very long if at all. Those without the sought out skills can't and may not. Comparing the existing unemployed with those who are new to the area MIGHT not be a valid comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
.... The problem is many of them are skilled manufacturing jobs and remain vacant because of a skilled worker shortage. ...
There is no skilled worker shortage in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:53 AM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,130,431 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
There is no skilled worker shortage in the USA.
That's not true.

Skilled Labor Shortage Frustrates Employers - CBS News

America's Skilled Worker Shortage

Shortage of Skilled Workers Primary Reason for Offshoring Jobs | Duke Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
you have contributed much to answering the question. There are at any given time over 3 million job vacancies in the U.S. The problem is many of them are skilled manufacturing jobs and remain vacant because of a skilled worker shortage. Thus those with the skills can transplant, find work and not be counted as unemployed for very long if at all. Those without the sought out skills can't and may not. Comparing the existing unemployed with those who are new to the area MIGHT not be a valid comparison.
It's true - seeing some of this myself.

There's several positions in my company that we just can't fill because we can't find the people with the correct skills.

We better wake up and start training / educating our next generation better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,582,216 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
you have contributed much to answering the question. There are at any given time over 3 million job vacancies in the U.S. The problem is many of them are skilled manufacturing jobs and remain vacant because of a skilled worker shortage. Thus those with the skills can transplant, find work and not be counted as unemployed for very long if at all. Those without the sought out skills can't and may not. Comparing the existing unemployed with those who are new to the area MIGHT not be a valid comparison.

Bolony!
Those skilled workers are a large part of those out of work because of offshoring.

This country manufactures very little, there is not a huge need for those "skilled workers". The proof in that is look at the white collar vs. blue collar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 AM
 
445 posts, read 1,021,621 times
Reputation: 188
Maybe they move here to be with their family during tough times, because their family moved here several years ago when Charlotte was booming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
123 posts, read 392,231 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post

I would never consider packing up and leaving to go somewhere without having a job lined up first. Sure, I can dream about having that perfect job in my particular profession in Charleston, SC or Raleigh/Durham, NC, but reality is reality and requires a healthy dose of pragmatism.
I understand how frustrating this economy is but packing up and moving to a brand new city without securing employment first is just plain dumb. It shows a complete lack of common sense and poor planning skills. Qualities any employer would love I'm sure!

How do you expect to compete with people who have lived here their whole lives and already have existing social connections? How in the world would you even rent an apartment without a job? What do they do, just live off of welfare? That's just what every city needs, more people mooching off the system without paying taxes.

People during the Depression didn't have Internet, telephones, Job Search websites and other resources to secure employment. Also, many of the people packing up and moving during the depression were farmers who were foreclosed on, homeless and were looking for agricultural work. They didn't have the luxury of being able to stay in Mom's basement for a few months because Mom usually lived with them and she was homeless too.

I know from experience that there are things that are more important that money. The grass is not always greener. Warmer weather is nice but it's not as comforting as having family and friends you grew up with nearby. You really need to weigh the costs before you up and move somewhere. There is no sense in compounding your problems by moving to a place where you have no money, no job and then add no friends and family to the mix.

Your best bet is to stay home and utilize your existing social network to try and find a job. Stay with a family member or friend to save money. Use the time to take some courses or training to give you an edge. Volunteer somewhere so a prospective employer can see that you are concerned for the community and aren't just sitting home on your butt doing nothing all day. If you do accept employment out of state, make sure you have money saved for an escape in case it doesn't work out. Better yet, don't move to place that you haven't at least visited first.

Best of luck to all those who are searching for work and I hope that those who do decide to move will do so only after careful consideration so they won't regret their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
That's not true. ...
Those are opinion articles and don't cite any facts except statistics given to them by corporations who don't want to pay decent wages. CBS long ago stopped doing any investigative journalism.

Do you honestly believe that corporations are moving assembly lines to Mexico because they have an abundance of highly skilled people and the USA doesn't? It doesn't make any sense at all. When has Mexico done something as sophisticated as sending space shuttles into space yet 1000s of engineers and scientists that have done just that are losing their jobs. There simply is no shortage of skilled labor in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Those are opinion articles and don't cite any facts except statistics given to them by corporations who don't want to pay decent wages. CBS long ago stopped doing any investigative journalism.

Do you honestly believe that corporations are moving assembly lines to Mexico because they have an abundance of highly skilled people and the USA doesn't? It doesn't make any sense at all. When has Mexico done something as sophisticated as sending space shuttles into space yet 1000s of engineers and scientists that have done just that are losing their jobs. There simply is no shortage of skilled labor in the USA.
I'm searching for references and numbers to back up your opinion on this matter - but I can't find them.

Assembly lines are not skills - they're lines of people who do the same menial task over and over. As for your space shuttle example... we're killing programs like that. Because, you know, that's all part of our "gubmint spending problem".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,582,216 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm searching for references and numbers to back up your opinion on this matter - but I can't find them.

Assembly lines are not skills - they're lines of people who do the same menial task over and over. As for your space shuttle example... we're killing programs like that. Because, you know, that's all part of our "gubmint spending problem".

Wow....way to support America. It is in part this mentality that is part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top