U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,230 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning a move for October 2011 to North Carolina and need help. I am looking for a nice place to raise my 4 and 2 year old with nice schools and nice neighborhoods. I was looking at Charlotte but it seems to have allot of population, How is Mooresville, please advise. I am a nurse so I can work just any were please help with advise I'm confused and would like to take a trip soon to look at the area, I was looking at Curtis Pond Neighborhood any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:41 AM

2,120 posts, read 2,501,478 times
I'd vote for Mooresville over Charlotte since you have kids and schools are a big concern. The Mooresville Grade School District, which Curtis Pond is in, has some of the best schools in the state.

Depending on what you want from a neighborhood will depend on what you think about Curtis Pond itself. My wife and I looked at that development back in summer of last year when buying a house but could never feel comfortable because the lots were so small and there were sooooooo many houses in that subdivision. But, on a positive note, you do get a lot of sq. ft. for the $$$ and prices are relatively low in there now (or were) and your kids would have PLENTY of other kids to play with. There is a pool for the first phase and a pool for the 2nd phase of houses, do a Google search on Curtis Pond and you'll get some stories about it.

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM

20,604 posts, read 25,841,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armychic View Post
Hello, I am planning a move for October 2011 to North Carolina and need help. I am looking for a nice place to raise my 4 and 2 year old with nice schools and nice neighborhoods. I was looking at Charlotte but it seems to have allot of population, How is Mooresville, please advise. I am a nurse so I can work just any were please help with advise I'm confused and would like to take a trip soon to look at the area, I was looking at Curtis Pond Neighborhood any thoughts?
I suggest that you find a job first. Mooresville has a good reputation. It's 30 miles from Charlotte.

The 2 largest hospital systems in the area are CMC & Presbyterian. Both have hospitals scattered through the area. There is also a hospital in Gastonia in a different system, that tends to have more openings because most people want to work in Charlotte.

I live 30 miles out in another direction, so I'm not knocking Mooresville for being 30 miles out. Traffic in this area is heaviest on the N/S axis I had an appointment with a doctor which was on the main CMC campus recently. I was talking to a woman who works in the office. She mentioned living in Mooresville & commented on the awful commute. I said that I also live 30 miles out from Charlotte. She asked me how long it took me to get in for appointments. When I told her that if my appointment brings me in during rush hour I'm parked & in the office in an hour, she said "I wish".

Just food for thought.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times
Concord / Cabarrus county to the east of Charlotte is another option you may want to consider. Cabarrus has good schools for the most part. In north Mecklenburg county, the best schools are in Davidson, Cornelius and parts of Huntersville, but the house prices will be higher as well. What price range house did you have in mind?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,705,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

The 2 largest hospital systems in the area are CMC & Presbyterian. Both have hospitals scattered through the area. There is also a hospital in Gastonia in a different system, that tends to have more openings because most people want to work in Charlotte.

I live 30 miles out in another direction, so I'm not knocking Mooresville for being 30 miles out..
You left out Lake Norman Regional Hospital at Exit 33 right in Mooresville. It's a pretty good sized hospital. Working there would mean no commute.

There are two additional hospitals, Davis Regional and Iredell Memorial, about 20 miles north in Statesville which is an easy commute from Mooresville.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:43 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,522,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
You left out Lake Norman Regional Hospital at Exit 33 right in Mooresville. It's a pretty good sized hospital. Working there would mean no commute.

There are two additional hospitals, Davis Regional and Iredell Memorial, about 20 miles north in Statesville which is an easy commute from Mooresville.
Iredell memorial would be my choice.
Lake Norman regionals ER has a dreadful reputation- and I've heard horror stories from many including EMS techs.

Carolinas don't have a hospital facility in the Mooresville area.

As for commute my husband works for CHS and commutes to East Bvd or Morehead St depending on which office he's working from, and it takes him 45 mins - 1hr if he leaves Mooresville (Brawley School area) at 06.50.
Commute home is about the same at 4.45.
New exit off I77 onto Brawley will help traffic in Mooresville as will widening of Brawley from I77 to Williamson rd, and West ,the first part of which is almost complete.
Worst of traffic is around Huntersville

Apart from schools and house prices, other thing to consider is Property taxes.
Charlotte is Mecklenburg Co (higher taxes) and Mooresville is Iredell with its lower taxes.
I would second Concord/Kannapolis area in Cabarrus county.
Carolinas Medical centerNortheast has an excellent reputation and would also be an acceptable commute (along the 3) from Mooresville.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Iredell memorial would be my choice.
Lake Norman regionals ER has a dreadful reputation- and I've heard horror stories from many including EMS techs.

Carolinas don't have a hospital facility in the Mooresville area.

As for commute my husband works for CHS and commutes to East Bvd or Morehead St depending on which office he's working from, and it takes him 45 mins - 1hr if he leaves Mooresville (Brawley School area) at 06.50.
Commute home is about the same at 4.45.
New exit off I77 onto Brawley will help traffic in Mooresville as will widening of Brawley from I77 to Williamson rd, and West ,the first part of which is almost complete.
Worst of traffic is around Huntersville

Apart from schools and house prices, other thing to consider is Property taxes.
Charlotte is Mecklenburg Co (higher taxes) and Mooresville is Iredell with its lower taxes.
I would second Concord/Kannapolis area in Cabarrus county.
Carolinas Medical centerNortheast has an excellent reputation and would also be an acceptable commute (along the 3) from Mooresville.
As far as taxes go, the woman in the CMC office was complaining about taxes & she said that in Mooresville she has to pay a separate school tax. No one here has mentioned it. Is this true?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post

Well, it all depends on where an opening is, doesn't it?

Now, if she doesn't mind working in a doctor's office, that ups her odds.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,522,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
As far as taxes go, the woman in the CMC office was complaining about taxes & she said that in Mooresville she has to pay a separate school tax. No one here has mentioned it. Is this true?
Not that I'm aware of. We're in 28117- pay county taxes only and feed into Lake Norman schools.
There are some communities (Winslow Bay, Wyndham Shores and Morrison Plantation off the top of my head) that are 28117 but within the city. They pay county and city taxes, BUT, they also feed into Lake Norman schools rather than the Mooresville city schools. I always thought that was strange.

I think that Curtis pond (28115) will be city and county taxes and definitely feeds into Mooresville city schools. Maybe they pay an extra school tax, but I don't think so.

BxRosie might know? Almost sure she lives in 28115 but if I remember rightly her children have all left school now.

It is possible to find cheaper housing in 28117 if someone wanted Lake Norman schools.
Areas that come to mind would be Morrison plantation and Water Oak and some of the older, smaller SDs off Stutts Rd.
There are pockets of older, smaller homes dotted around all over the Brawley School area.
Also a water access and pool community off Langtree called Bridgeport

Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,699,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
BxRosie might know? Almost sure she lives in 28115 but if I remember rightly her children have all left school now...
Yep...DS graduated in 2010, but we still pay the school tax. If where you are looking for houses are in the Mooresville Graded School Dist (28115), you will pay an extra tax. I don't have the exact amount in front of me, but you can get that info from the town. MGSD is excellent & the kids grades 3 & up get a lap top.

Welcome to Mooresville!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or