U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 66,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Did you happen to ask the builder what you would get if you opted out of structured wiring?
If I didn't opt of SW then it would be like running cables from one outlet to another in a daisy chain of cords and cables.

I posed the following question to builder and the response I got is:

Can we turn a data port (RJ-45) into phone jack (RJ-11) and back and forth, if so how could I do that?

Yes. They are all installed as RJ-45 jacks and the phone jack fits in the RJ-45. You would tell the line what it would be inside the canister. If it were phone it would be plugged into the phone block, if it were data it would be plugged into your router.

Does it mean that I can easily switch b/w phone and data by plugging them appropriately in the canister, is that simple?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 PM

8,410 posts, read 8,531,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by validmailer View Post
If I didn't opt of SW then it would be like running cables from one outlet to another in a daisy chain of cords and cables.

I posed the following question to builder and the response I got is:

Can we turn a data port (RJ-45) into phone jack (RJ-11) and back and forth, if so how could I do that?

Yes. They are all installed as RJ-45 jacks and the phone jack fits in the RJ-45. You would tell the line what it would be inside the canister. If it were phone it would be plugged into the phone block, if it were data it would be plugged into your router.

Does it mean that I can easily switch b/w phone and data by plugging them appropriately in the canister, is that simple?

Thanks.
Even more pathetic. I didn't think anyone was doing daisy chain any more. That is a gross disservice they are doing even for their non-structured wiring customers. Welcome to 1980.

An RJ-45 will not fit into an RJ-11 jack in a phone block. Unless I'm overlooking something you can't just swap back and forth at the can. And It's been a long time since I trained on the actual wiring configuration of the two types of connections, but they may not line up either. Maybe someone who does the actual connections every day can chime in on this.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,513,762 times
What I have seen done is they will take one of the un-used cable pairs in the CAT 5e cable and wire it up in the canister end for phone service and just leave it like that. On the outlet end they can put in jacks for both. However the circuit is then limited to 100M ethernet because Gigabit (still not that common) takes all 4 pair. That is how they get away with it.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM

8,410 posts, read 8,531,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
What I have seen done is they will take one of the un-used cable pairs in the CAT 5e cable and wire it up in the canister end for phone service and just leave it like that. On the outlet end they can put in jacks for both. However the circuit is then limited to 100M ethernet because Gigabit (still not that common) takes all 4 pair. That is how they get away with it.
That is some seriously jackleg, trunkslammer, half a$$ BS. Some people have no work ethic whatsoever.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's painful to know you can buy the same exact kit they'll use for the low voltage wiring online for a small fraction of that $700 - but you're paying about going rate to have someone do it for you. They have to make money, too. As folks have pointed out here, make sure you have an electric circuit run to the structured wiring can ("patch panel") and inspect their work. For the price they should be doing it right.
I can't take this any more! The misinformation is somewhat shocking. Firstly I do not use the same kit you will buy. The crimper for the RJ45 ends was almost 200 bucks! Ooops, thats something else I don't do, we do not put a rj45 end on the cat5 and then plug it into a 30 dollar switch. You use a rail with RJ45 keystone and make (or buy) short cables to connect to the switch. Oh, keystones, yeah most people just smush the wires in and use the plastic thing to crush them down to the contact points. If you have specifically bought tooless ones, that is ok, but its not "pro." So now I have a punch down tool that was about 80 bucks. And that is another thing, I get inspected by an inspector, I cannot fail. Plus we run QoS tests to verify that the connections are solid.

SW is a very exact science. When I install something I have no idea what the customer will be running thru that LAN jack, hell they might never even use it! I do know it has to work and work right!

And not to be mean to the fellow, but "running the wire down the side of the house." I'd be laughing my ass off if I saw an install like that!

Anyhow

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 PM

5,079 posts, read 4,763,798 times
Not sure why I was quoted for that rant there... lol - but this is an interesting thread because I now find myself really leaning on wireless. I just got a 802.11ac router and started playing with it - with the proposed speeds of that you're going to destroy the typical wired connections of today. You'd have to be putting in cat6 to even compete.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 AM

3,915 posts, read 1,257,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
...- with the proposed speeds of that you're going to destroy the typical wired connections of today. You'd have to be putting in cat6 to even compete.
Hmm. Today's Cat5E will do 1000M without issue if all 8 conductors are used in the cable. Most new installs have this. It's cheap and very reliable. Furthermore you don't have to deal with the encryption & wireless overhead and speed degradations due to radio interference and obstructions.

Seems to me that "destroys" is a bit of a stretch here.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm. Today's Cat5E will do 1000M without issue if all 8 conductors are used in the cable. Most new installs have this. It's cheap and very reliable. Furthermore you don't have to deal with the encryption & wireless overhead and speed degradations due to radio interference and obstructions.

Seems to me that "destroys" is a bit of a stretch here.
Yah, I'd agree it's a bit of a stretch... but how many houses were wired with 4 pairs to the 5E std these days? GigE is relatively new to the consumer side. That was my main point.

My 5G wireless has pretty darn good coverage and you have to admit that it's come a long, long way. Wireless is where it's at until we start seeing 10GigE in our houses...

Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM

3,915 posts, read 1,257,565 times
Yeah. I wonder how many times someone with $200 crimpers and $80 punch down tools, didn't bother to connect all the conductors.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Yeah. I wonder how many times someone with $200 crimpers and $80 punch down tools, didn't bother to connect all the conductors.
haha - I do too... I'm keen to test my structured cabling to see, but that's relatively low on my list.

Regardless of whether your hard wired device can leverage the GigE, you have to admit the number of devices we use on a daily basis doesn't fit well into a typical cabling scheme - heck in one room you can have a smartTV/googleTV/appleTV/Roku/etc, a gaming console (possibly more than 1 - we have a Wii and XBox), and a PC... that's just one room. Even with foresight that we'd be at that point way back while the walls were open to wire for everything, who would reasonably have that much structured cabling throughout the house? ... and have it all terminated in the exact right spots.

The bottom line for me when I purchased the dual band ac router was that I've come to realize the wire itself is too big of a constraint to how I set-up the devices in my house... Even with the wireless "overhead" of WPA2 and stuff in the way that you mention, you're still in a better place for typical consumer applications which are almost all just streaming and browsing - both of which are perfect for wireless. There's almost nothing you do residential wise to justify structured cabling through the whole house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte