Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I would not be quick to give it to Animal Control. If the owner does not show up, it may be euthanized.
I agree! That is the absolute last place I would contact. I believe (I could be wrong) that they euthanize after only 72 hours. The cat is better off living in the yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I agree! That is the absolute last place I would contact. I believe (I could be wrong) that they euthanize after only 72 hours. The cat is better off living in the yard!
This is so untrue - at least of the Mecklenburg AC&C. The Mecklenburg AC&C makes every effort to reunite pets with their owners, and failing that, to find the animals new homes. This includes monthly adoption showcases at Southpark Mall, coordination with local humane and rescue organizations, etc. Euthanization is an absolute last resort, and only used in situations where an animal is too sick, or has severe behavior/aggression issues.

I believe where the 72 hours that is being referred to comes in is that is how long the animal is held in "lost and foud" before being moved to the adoption kennels.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
This is so untrue - at least of the Mecklenburg AC&C. The Mecklenburg AC&C makes every effort to reunite pets with their owners, and failing that, to find the animals new homes. This includes monthly adoption showcases at Southpark Mall, coordination with local humane and rescue organizations, etc. Euthanization is an absolute last resort, and only used in situations where an animal is too sick, or has severe behavior/aggression issues.

I believe where the 72 hours that is being referred to comes in is that is how long the animal is held in "lost and foud" before being moved to the adoption kennels.
That's good, I guess. Their stats don't lie, though. They euthanize an average of 80% of the cats each month, and 60% of the dogs. Such a shame! http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/C...s/FY2011AA.pdf

Hopefully the cat will be reunited with its owner, but failing that, I'd just leave it alone. I'd rather an animal live out its days outdoors than be killed on purpose.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
Poor kitty is probably lost.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:49 PM

214 posts, read 399,219 times
So I woke up this morning to take the dogs out and I see Charlie (what my wife calls the cat now ) on a porch two doors down with food and drink. I'm not sure if someone is hooking Charlie up while he's lost, or if he is their cat (he hadn't been declawed fwiw so maybe he's an outdoor cat??).

Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1983 View Post
So I woke up this morning to take the dogs out and I see Charlie (what my wife calls the cat now ) on a porch two doors down with food and drink. I'm not sure if someone is hooking Charlie up while he's lost, or if he is their cat (he hadn't been declawed fwiw so maybe he's an outdoor cat??).
I did that with a stray two years ago. 16 kittens, and well over $1500 in vet bills, food, raw meat, and other expenses later, she still basically lives in my backyard.

I hope Charlie finds his, or a, good home.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 PM

983 posts, read 2,541,339 times
Default Just imagine

I know I will get blasted for this but just imagine if all this effort and money were spent on homeless and needy people .

Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I know I will get blasted for this but just imagine if all this effort and money were spent on homeless and needy people .
You mean euthanizing 60-80% of them if we can't find them good homes? Microchipping? Or spaying and neutering.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM

983 posts, read 2,541,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
You mean euthanizing 60-80% of them if we can't find them good homes? Microchipping? Or spaying and neutering.
Very funny

Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post

You have a good point there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte