Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 12:54 PM

38 posts, read 142,084 times

Advertisements

I know it seems like I only post questions on this board, but moving from out of state....I tend to have more questions than answers!
Anyway....we're trying to decide on which area will be best for us and are considering Huntersville, Harrisburg, Cornelius and Concord, but now Kannapolis is working its way into the mix. What's the drive like from these areas uptown (rush and non-rush)? I know Huntersville and Harrisburg will be manageable but considering it's going to be awful difficult to get up there to drive the routes during rush hour, I have to ask the ones that know. My husband will be working near Northlake Mall, so we'll need to find an area that's convenient to both locations.
Any insight sure would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,298 times
Given where your husband is working, Huntersville and Cornelius would make the most sense. All, I think, are doable commutes. But there are decent schools, homes and shopping in the Huntersville/Cornelius area. Downside is that this area is over crowded.
Consider also Davidson (just a tiny bit further north than Cornelius) and, a bit further south/west Moutain Island Lake and Coulwood areas...which are easy commutes to NorthLake Mall and uptown.

Good Luck-
T

Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times
I owned a house that was just 3 miles from Northlake Mall. My job was south of Uptown, closer to SC.
To get to uptown from home, it was about 15 minutes, non-rush, 30-45 rush. Take a look along Mt. Holly-Huntersville Rd. For existing homes, I'd consider Wedgewood, Claiborne, Claiborne Woods, areas of Keeneland that are closer to Mt. Holly-Huntersville (not deeper into the neighborhood, closest to the new I-485) Overlook (absolutely gorgeous!) Chastain Walk, Chastain Parc, and Walden Ridge.
A little further away from the mall, I'd consider Wynfield, Cedarfield, McCoy Crossing, McAuley, Stephen's Grove (we actually drooled over this one for years before we moved) Gilead Ridge, Henderson Park and Birkdale (a golf community.)
Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 AM

237 posts, read 855,847 times
Davidson and Corneilius will be about 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to uptown charlotte, north lake mall will be even less. Even areas further north such as mooresville are only about an hour to center city charlotte, in rush hour traffic. To some people this is alot, it all depends on where you are coming from. Coming from NY, an hour drive in traffic was the norm for me. I dont really like it, but im used to it. Also of the neighborhoods that you mentioned, Davidson and Corneilius are the nicest areas. Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 PM

38 posts, read 142,084 times
Thanks so much. We had originally considered Mooresville, but thought it may be too bad of a commute, but I think I could actually deal with an hour. Does anyone know of the commute time from Kannapolis? I don't know anything about the town....is there anything to do there? Is it nice? I'm just trying to get locals' opinions on the surrounding areas.

Quote:
For existing homes, I'd consider Wedgewood, Claiborne, Claiborne Woods, areas of Keeneland that are closer to Mt. Holly-Huntersville (not deeper into the neighborhood, closest to the new I-485) Overlook (absolutely gorgeous!) Chastain Walk, Chastain Parc, and Walden Ridge.
A little further away from the mall, I'd consider Wynfield, Cedarfield, McCoy Crossing, McAuley, Stephen's Grove (we actually drooled over this one for years before we moved) Gilead Ridge, Henderson Park and Birkdale (a golf community.)
Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,808,870 times
Depends on the day....

It once took me close to two hours to get from exit 11 to exit 25. Other days, it takes 20 minutes. It all depends where you're going. Some days the traffic at exits are backed up a quarter mile or more.

One big problem north of exit 25 - people slow to a crawl to look at the lake. I'll never understand it. No accident, nothing...just 25 mph or slower as people stare at the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte