Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,359 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Charlotte soon and thinking of buying a new Pulte home in Ardrey Chase subdivision near Ballantyne. Does anybody else have experience with Pulte Homes in Charlotte? How is the quality of their homes? Has anybody recently bought a house in Ardrey Chase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
OK, remember that you asked. People who ask these questions usually don't really care for anything other than confirmation on a decision they have already made. Seen it plenty of times here. Never the less, there is an answer.

Pulte is a mass production cookie cutter vendor. You will be getting sq/footage instead of quality. If you don't mind a place that will lose market value as soon as you close on it and which will require a lot of expensive replacements a decade from now, then go ahead. You will never be able to sell it for what you are going to pay for it. Is the house on a slab and if not is it because it is on a marginal lot?

I recommend buying in an established neighborhood. Find a place closer in that has been around for at least 15 years. You still might take a bath on equity, but at least it won't be a complete gutting. There will be a lot of disagreements with this opinion but remember, misery loves company.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
As someone who actually owns a Pulte home (and is very happy with it) I would still advise to be careful. Any home builder is only as good as the subs and supervisor on site. We had excellent before and after sale service. At our recent two year walk through, they were still fixing minor things that our previous builders never would fix, much less check out two years later. BUT, they have made a lot of staff cutbacks since we purchased and some of the people we could really count on were let go or transfered.

We paid for an independant structural engineer to check the house before we made an offer. The market was (and still is) slow enough to afford the time to really check any home prior to signing a contract.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 PM

983 posts, read 2,541,943 times
If you search this forum for Pulte and Ardery Chase you will find other threads discussing similar questions. Pulte is a national builder and has the high end homes and the avg homes. They tend to be good in general (I live in one of there communities). As Yantosh said, you will need to replace and update things in the house after being in it for 10 years, if that's OK with you, go for it. There is nothing like new home smell. There are a lot of homes in Charlotte for sale specially in South Charlotte and Ballantyne where the area saw a lot of growth. When I moved here two years ago I rented for a short while to learn the area. I liked Ballantyne (I live in the area) and decided to buy here. Good luck with your move and purchase.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 AM

109 posts, read 349,877 times
I live in Audrey Chase and our home was built by Centex before they merged with Pulte. We'd spent a few years looking at homes before purchasing and weighed the pros and cons of new construction (tract builder dominated) and resales (the majority of these are also tract builder homes and many of the builders no longer exist). The difficulty is that the Ballantyne/Blakeney area is all relatively new and tract builders developed most of the land. Now, if you can afford the Ballantyne Country Club or Piper Glen, then you can find a custom, non-tract builder home.

We hired an independent home inspector who came highly recommended for not pulling any punches with sharing his thoughts around construction quality. He went through our home with a fine tooth comb for two hours and commented he was pleasantly surprised with the quality for a tract builder home.

We've been in the home going on three years with very few issues - the builder offered a two year fit and finish drywall warranty. The problem was there very only a few nail-pops and a couple small cracks in two bedroom corners that we could find - and I searched for them using flood lights!

There are approx. 20 homes under contract that are being built, and the final 30-40 lots were just released. The area is convenient to excellent schools and shopping - almost within walking distance. The neighborhood is very diverse. The HOA fees are on the high-end relative to other neighborhoods with similar amenites, yet we'll only have approx. 160 homes when completed. The pool activity has increased significantly this summer and the pool has staffed attendents during pool hours.

We toured hundreds of homes and multiple builders before purchasing from Centex. We're very pleased after three years and I fully expect to make money on our home - I can currently list it for 20-30K more than what we paid for it. This is not the case for a number of homeowners who bought at the "top" of the market, we bought at the bottom.

Send me a DM if you have any other questions about the neighborhood.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 PM

104 posts, read 184,577 times
Question for whoever cares to weigh in: Would a high-end builder like Saussy Burbank still be considered a "tract builder"?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM

109 posts, read 349,877 times
Saussy Burbank is more of a regional builder. I've been in a number of their homes, including the ones they are currently building in Ardrey Crest. Usually they provide a few additional features that make their homes feel a little more "custom" and stick built compared to the major national builders. I've liked Saussy homes, though the price point has been a bit higher per sq.ft. than I wanted to pay for the size of home I wanted.

A local builder I like, though isn't building homes in our preferred area is Bonterra Builders. They are local and build across a number of price points: high 100's to 800+. They are building a community just across the NC, in SC, named Barber Rock. Again, not a "custom" builder, though when I talked to them a few years ago, seemed a bit more open to making changes to floor plans (not sure if still the case). Also, MI Homes was very open to making changes (for a cost - though, seemed very reasonable). They are building in Ardrey Crest, though lot sizes are very small.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte