U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,457 times

Advertisements

My daughter, who is not a church-goer, is moving to Charlotte in August, I'm following later. I'd appreciate first-hand information on Catholic churches; all I have is a list of websites and schedules!

I attend Mass on Sundays and holy days, despite a brisk 30 minute walk to the nearest church! (Not on a bus route either.) I'd go more often if I lived nearer. Not a "cafeteria"/Kennedy Catholic, but strongly Magisterium/catechism/Bible and Benedict 16th. I'm hoping to avoid teddy bear Masses, anything where 6 year olds preach, and all dancing in the aisles!

My current parish has 5 priests: Irish-American, Italian-Irish-American, Mexican, Sri Lankan, and Nigerian. They are all very good priests, devout, even holy, mostly bad though deeply sincere preachers. The music is pretty awful, and the girls serving Mass think they're in a beauty pageant, but hey! Nowhere's perfect! I'm hoping to find a parish like this, flawed a little, but mostly lovable and sincere.

Thanks!!! This really matters in relocation!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 22,019 times
Welcome future Charlottean...it sounds like St. Patricks (in Dilworth neighborhood) is for you. Father Roux preaches through the mindset of Vatican 1. Straightforward mass, very little bs. Nice older church in a nice neighborhood.

St. Peter - very progressive and open (located uptown)
St. Matthews - very large, family oriented, modern service, very cafeterian
St. Gabriels - smaller than St. Matthews but still large, lot of kids, has its own school, is lenient w/ the teachings
St. Vincents - small, focused more on missionary work than parish (similar size to St. Patricks)

Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 AM

78 posts, read 163,088 times
St Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church at the university area

Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM

441 posts, read 1,069,959 times
Okay...here are a few others to consider:
Sounds like you might like St. Ann in Charlotte or St. Michael in Gastonia best. They tend to be the most conservative Catholic churches. St. Ann is in an area where you could live near the Parish and walk there daily if you like.
Our Lady of Consolation is a predo. African American Parish with lots of music
Our Lady of Guadelupe is a predo. Hispanic parish with all masses in Spanish
I don't think either of those are what you are after, though they are welcoming and great.

BUT, check out St. Patrick's. It is the Cathedral and located in a walkable but expesive neighborhood. As the Cathedral, it is home to the Bishop.

Finally, a great place to go is Belmont Abbey College, the Basillica. Wonderful place and run by Monks. Great Mass. THere are college students, of course, but no one joking around.

Out of all the places in and around Charlotte, I think the Abbey might be the best fit for you. Welcome to Charlotte!

Taben

Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,978,131 times
Quote:
"cafeteria"/Kennedy Catholic
?

What year is this?

Just find one that doesn't have fundamentalists in charge and instead focuses on the core of the Church - social justice and you'll be fine.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,053,499 times
Dancing in the aisles? Hunh?

I've been Catholic all my life and I've never seeen this

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangurBan View Post
My daughter, who is not a church-goer, is moving to Charlotte in August, I'm following later. I'd appreciate first-hand information on Catholic churches; all I have is a list of websites and schedules!

I attend Mass on Sundays and holy days, despite a brisk 30 minute walk to the nearest church! (Not on a bus route either.) I'd go more often if I lived nearer. Not a "cafeteria"/Kennedy Catholic, but strongly Magisterium/catechism/Bible and Benedict 16th. I'm hoping to avoid teddy bear Masses, anything where 6 year olds preach, and all dancing in the aisles!

My current parish has 5 priests: Irish-American, Italian-Irish-American, Mexican, Sri Lankan, and Nigerian. They are all very good priests, devout, even holy, mostly bad though deeply sincere preachers. The music is pretty awful, and the girls serving Mass think they're in a beauty pageant, but hey! Nowhere's perfect! I'm hoping to find a parish like this, flawed a little, but mostly lovable and sincere.

Thanks!!! This really matters in relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte