Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Monroe released cherry picked statistics without any raw numbers to back them up. (as usual)

The real question is this. Do you feel safer due to Rodney Monroe's hard work? ...
Yup, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
(A man who lied about having a college degree and who has yet to meet the city's requirement to get one.)

This is absolutely not true. You may not like him for feel his degree was valid, but the school awarded it to him. Period.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
This is absolutely not true. You may not like him for feel his degree was valid, but the school awarded it to him. Period.

They did award it to him but then also admitted thst they did so improperly as he did NOT earn it.....

Virginia Commonwealth University | Ask.com Encyclopedia

Monroe also stated that since it was awarded improperly he would work to EARN the degree. To date, he failed to do so.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
I don't live in Charlotte, but I think CMPD is doing something right.

Yes, there are certain neighborhoods where crime is up (N Tryon & Hickory Grove for instance), but OVERALL, incidents are down, and down big time. Yes, the media will always hype one of those random freak bad incidents in upscale neighborhoods, but those incidents are very rare.

Many may not like to hear that for various reasons (not liking the commish or not believing it or whatever your beef is) but it is what it is....

Cut them a break already...

Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 AM

VCU did not take back the degree. I don't recall reading anything saying he would go back to school to "earn it". This is something for people who don't approve of the guy to complain about. He has a 30 year career in law enforcement and appears to be highly respected by his peers. And this has nothing to do with the OP. I don't people passing off blatantly false statements as fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
They did award it to him but then also admitted thst they did so improperly as he did NOT earn it.....

Virginia Commonwealth University | Ask.com Encyclopedia

Monroe also stated that since it was awarded improperly he would work to EARN the degree. To date, he failed to do so.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
VCU did not take back the degree. I don't recall reading anything saying he would go back to school to "earn it". This is something for people who don't approve of the guy to complain about. He has a 30 year career in law enforcement and appears to be highly respected by his peers. And this has nothing to do with the OP. I don't people passing off blatantly false statements as fact.

Perhaps you should research this.....people were fired and some resigned over this degree issue at VCU. No one is passing off a false statement, perhaps you can do your own research or read the link I posted.

Another link

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/200...ntroversy.html

Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
when several charges are reduced to one crime, it's easy to say crime is down. I don't buy it. Read the paper and see the wild stuff that goes on daily by repeat ,repeat offenders. They are actually revising laws to give criminals less time

The North Carolina General Assembly recently passed some new legislation that will substantially alter sentencing and correction laws presently in effect. Due to these recent changes, effective for all offenses committed on or after December 1, 2011, we are providing this synopsis along with a link to the entire bill: House Bill 642

* Substantial Change #1: Most habitual felons must be given shorter sentences
* Substantial Change #2: All felons will have a period of post-release supervision
* Substantial Change #3: Four state prisons will be closed; no new prisons will be opened
* Substantial Change #4: Creation of a “habitual breaking and entering status offender”
* Substantial Change #5: Judges can no longer revoke a defendant’s probation and send them to prison for most violations of probation
Looks like cost cutting measures to me.

Is #5 the Lindsay Lohan Law?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Crime is down... the people who watch the news religiously or have negative views of the police dept. won't believe it becuase it doesn't suit their agenda.

The news shows the same crime over and over again but when yu look at the big picture Charlotte isn't nearly as bad as some believe.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:33 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't live in Charlotte, but I think CMPD is doing something right.

Yes, there are certain neighborhoods where crime is up (N Tryon & Hickory Grove for instance), but OVERALL, incidents are down, and down big time. Yes, the media will always hype one of those random freak bad incidents in upscale neighborhoods, but those incidents are very rare.

Many may not like to hear that for various reasons (not liking the commish or not believing it or whatever your beef is) but it is what it is....

Cut them a break already...
Cut them a break indeed. Give credit where credit is due. One of the main reasons crime has improved is because Monroe implemented a strategy that heavily emphasized "patrolling". Before he got here, when things were like the wild wild west around here, me and my frineds used to always say you never saw police anywhere unless something bad happened. Now, you see them riding around everywhere, all the time. That stategy has obviously worked.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Read the original quote I responded to. That might help before we continue this back and forth. He didn't lie about having a degree. One was conferred by VCU. Period. He has met the city requirement as the degree is valid. Period. Nothing you posted said he lied or that he did not have a valid degree. That should be the end of the discussion.

Whether VCU should have or should not have given him the degree is not the subject of this discussion or my point. They did.

This is really one of the things that is wrong with society when it comes to having a discussion. You can't change the facts to suit your point. You can think he received preferential treatment. You can think he did it deliberately and hoped no one noticed, you can think that the school did it because they wanted to show him as an alumni. You can think is was a comedy of errors and incompetence. You can say that 6 units in residence shouldn't matter? But you can't say that he lied about having a degree that was conferred as if he lied on his resume. And you can't say he doesn't have one as if the school took it back. Can we get back to the actual discussion?

And for the record, I never felt unsafe in Charlotte. I do however, see an increased police presence when I am out and about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Perhaps you should research this.....people were fired and some resigned over this degree issue at VCU. No one is passing off a false statement, perhaps you can do your own research or read the link I posted.

Another link

Monroe pledges to end degree controversy | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Last edited by baybook; 07-16-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte