Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,208 times

Advertisements

Just got a phone call this morning offering me a position at the Charlotte Airport.

I'll be moving there in a few weeks from southern Illinois. I grew up in the affluent suburbs outside of Chicago and came to Carbondale partially for a slow down of city life.

The first time I touched North Carolina soil was when I flew in for the interview last week and I didn't leave the airport so I literally know nothing about Charlotte neighborhoods. I'm looking for some direction on quiet neighborhoods. Not crazy about the bar scene but don't want to completely alienate myself from society. I'm 24 and have a girlfriend who will be joining me out in Charlotte in May of next year as she is finishing school. So for now I just need an inexpensive, quiet, and safe one or two bedroom place, I'm also a car nut who just bought a new car so a garage would be nice if not a big added expense.

Thanks yall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:08 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
What kind of car did you get?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 PM

2011 Hyundai sonata turbo!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
If you are going to work at the airport, I'd say somewhere in southwest Charlotte would be good for you. The Steele Creek area would be a quick commute and there's plenty to do in that area. The "town" of Ayrsley would be good for you.

Welcome

It's not old person quiet but it's a calm and desirable area.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natewhite319 View Post
Just got a phone call this morning offering me a position at the Charlotte Airport.

I'll be moving there in a few weeks from southern Illinois. I grew up in the affluent suburbs outside of Chicago and came to Carbondale partially for a slow down of city life.

The first time I touched North Carolina soil was when I flew in for the interview last week and I didn't leave the airport so I literally know nothing about Charlotte neighborhoods. I'm looking for some direction on quiet neighborhoods. Not crazy about the bar scene but don't want to completely alienate myself from society. I'm 24 and have a girlfriend who will be joining me out in Charlotte in May of next year as she is finishing school. So for now I just need an inexpensive, quiet, and safe one or two bedroom place, I'm also a car nut who just bought a new car so a garage would be nice if not a big added expense.

Thanks yall.
Look at Belmont, Cramerton & the SE corner of Gastonia. Not a lot of apartments in Belmont & Cramerton, but you could rent a small house.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 AM

201 posts, read 803,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
If you are going to work at the airport, I'd say somewhere in southwest Charlotte would be good for you. The Steele Creek area would be a quick commute and there's plenty to do in that area. The "town" of Ayrsley would be good for you.
I am also originally from the Chicago area. My husband and I live in Ayrsley and we have enjoyed it. I agree that it would be an easy commute for you. We regularly travel for work, so being near the airport is important to us as well.

I will say this, Ayrsley has not exactly become what we were hoping for when we first moved here just over 4 years ago -the growth slowed way down, as it did in rest of the area. We were hoping to have more retail and dining options by now, but I still expect that it will be coming soon. Overall, we are pretty happy over here and have made some great friends in the neighborhood.

If I can answer any specifics for you, please let me know. There are apartments and townhomes in the community, both of which have garage options.

Congrats and good luck with the new job and move!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM

Hey thanks everyone! I'll be visiting the area before I move there to look at some places and I'll definitely check out some of your recommendations. Does anyone have an opinion about buying homes in the Charlotte area. My job is a Government job and is pretty secure. I own a home here in Carbondale, but will be turning it into a Rental Property with a property manager because there is a large college student population and finding renters shouldn't be a problem. I saw some foreclosures on the NW side of town that are 4 bed 2.5-3 bath homes that are large, fairly new, and right around 120,000. With mortgages low and me being experienced in owning a home I feel I could own a home for the same or less even than renting a nice place for 8-900/mo.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
I'd go for SW over NW. But try out the neighborhood crime mapper on All Things Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com - Charlotte, North Carolina (http://www.charlotte.com - broken link) Subsection Crime. Its really useful to get a read on a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte