Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM

149 posts, read 328,076 times

Advertisements

Ok, For those who keep up on the threads, I posted a request for housing info for my cousin who has a section 8 voucher due to a domestic violence situation. I looked on Craigslist to see if there were any rentals accepting her voucher. My cousin and I received a call from a "Wendy Brown" who posted an ad for a 4 bedroom off of Sam Wilson Road in the Wilson Glen community. She asked for a check, money order, or a wire transfer. When we asked for photos of the rental, she promised to send it stating she was busy cleaning the rental. She texted me asking if I received the pics. I responded to her telling her I never received it. We then gave her our email addresses to send it that way since she stated sending to our cell was unsuccessful. Of course we've never received the email. I'm glad we didn't send her any money. She was bold enough to send the application to us via fax which the fax header had "DCC" on it. When I asked her what those letters stood for, she answered her sister works for a correctional facility. She was also bold enough to call my job number in which her full name displayed. I'm discouraged and exhausted knowing this is what happens to innocent people. Below is the link.

4 BEDROOM 2 1/2 BATH (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/2492543625.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 04:36 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,275 times
Welcome to the world of Craigslist. As far as looking for a place. Try sticking with what make sense. Call the number, ask for the infomation address of the property. Can you see it in PERSON. Trying to do everything over the internet is ok. But you have to get that personal touch and comfort. Most landlords will want to send you an application, show you the place and not just get the info first. They want a tenant. The unit does not make them money empty. So be careful out there. There are more nuts and con artist everyday. Be sure to ask questions, do not be pushed and keep up your guard!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 04:52 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Duh. There's not much legitimate on craigslist. There are plenty of apartment complexes that take vouchers. Why wouldn't you have started there?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I remember before we moved to Charlotte I was looking around the area at houses. Apparently you had to put down a deposit on the house to be considered to be in the running to occupy it. The problem that I had was that I was very limited on funds & could only put down one deposit. I think that's why at one point I just put a deposit down for a townhome in Camden Pinehurst. But don't be like me and choose a development based on the size of the community pool.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Duh. There's not much legitimate on craigslist. There are plenty of apartment complexes that take vouchers. Why wouldn't you have started there?
We looked at socialserve, apartments.com, rent.com which we had no results. We've never went to craigslist before until someone we know told us about it. I could have been worse if we would've sent her any money. And we don't know of any complexes which offers 4 bedrooms willing to accept Section 8.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
We looked at socialserve, apartments.com, rent.com which we had no results. We've never went to craigslist before until someone we know told us about it. I could have been worse if we would've sent her any money. And we don't know of any complexes which offers 4 bedrooms willing to accept Section 8.
4 bedrooms? How big is your cousin's family?

Old 07-16-2011, 05:57 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
We looked at socialserve, apartments.com, rent.com which we had no results. And we don't know of any complexes which offers 4 bedrooms willing to accept Section 8.
C'mon. Did you really look? Socialserve.com - Search Results[s]&bus=optional&smoking_status_id=optional&language_ spoken_id=1&showmax=30

Old 07-16-2011, 06:15 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Sorry that this happened to you, there are some opportunistic jerks out there. But you are right, at least no money exchanged hands. I know of an apartment community that may be able to help, although I don't know they offer 4 bedrooms. DM me if you would like information.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
4 bedrooms? How big is your cousin's family?

She has 5 kids age range 20-5. Three boys, one girl whom is the youngest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte