Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But Tornado, we are not talking about where you live, we are talking about Charlotte. WalMart is newer to Charlotte and NC than wherever you are from. We only got our first one in Charlotte 15 years ago at the Aboretum on Hwy 51. With the exception of one WalMart of the 12 or so I can think of whose surrounding neighborhood has declined, the WalMarts here are all in nice areas. With the way you talk about how it is where you are, no wonder you want to leave and see the negative so much. We have never had one of our stores closed so SWAT teams could come in and save the day, much less felt the need to wear bullet proof vests to go shopping. Businesses are relocating to Charlotte all the time. They study the demographics and choose carefully where to locate here - that is one reason Charlotte continues to thrive and grow. You will need to leave all your bad memories behind you in California - they are making you paranoid.
I have personally been to that Walmart. Its a bad area. As TS has stated many times, it is also a bad area. I am not knocking your home town only stating the facts I saw and what TS posted. I am not trying to argue. Really. This is only my opinion of what I saw and read about the area.

Again, I have NEVER seen a Walmart in a good area, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
Agreed. We have a one year old WalMart Supercenter in Asheville in a very nice area, and another one on the way in an upscale area of Buncombe County. I'm not a big fan of WalMart, but they certainly are not all in rotten areas around North Carolina.
Fair enough. Maybe not in NC maybe only my state. But, the one in Charlotte is bad. That just my opinion. Go look for your self. Who posted they wouldn't go there at night?

Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Course this is just my opinion...but I think I live in a pretty nice area....well...hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen.....we're getting our very own WalMart!!! (the land was annexed some time ago..and should be completed by the start of our next school year)....oh I forgot to mention I live in Tega Cay, SC

Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
I have personally been to that Walmart. Its a bad area. As TS has stated many times, it is also a bad area. I am not knocking your home town only stating the facts I saw and what TS posted. I am not trying to argue. Really. This is only my opinion of what I saw and read about the area.

Again, I have NEVER seen a Walmart in a good area, personally.

Just as long as you realize that doesn't mean they don't exist

I posted that I wouldn't go to WalMart at night. But that's because as a woman I realize I am more vulnerable then, no matter where I am. Most crimes against women are crimes of opportunity. I just make sure not to give any criminal extra opportunity. I am not signaling that particular WalMart out, I don't go to my neighborhood one at night alone either. If you use common sense you can often avoid being a victim. The evil in this world exists in every state, every city.

As I've said before on other posts, in any city whose population is approaching 600,000 there will be crime - it is inevitable. The smart thing to do is to make prudent choices and be aware of your surroundings, no matter where that is. Plenty of people are managing to work and shop at that WalMart and Lowes without being killed, raped and kidnapped every day. It is not any more unsafe than the WalMarts in other parts of town. Again, I think your preception is skewered by your personal experiences out there in LaLa land. You made your judgement on this being an unsafe WalMart by the number of young people you saw wearing baggy pants - among some other strange criteria. If you view it as unsafe, then just don't go there if you move this direction. But don't push your skewered impressions from a one time visit to a place on people who want an unbiased opinion.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:09 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
Also to add to what lovesMountains said, my DH actually argues with me when I want to go to the mall in the evening hours. The malls in my area are not crime ridden - just as a woman too, these are the types of individuals that are perceived to be easy prey..There was a woman attacked at the south park mall in nc, does that mean we should no go there - no, it means that malls and other areas, can be prone to this type of activity, dark, not a lot people at night etc - also, local people are not the only ones who go to the mall, malls and other large shopping areas or things, draws many people from all around but when these robberies and home invasions occur, common sense does tell us that these types of criminals are not going to low income levels. I think charlotte for some reason focuses more on crime then a lot of other areas, crime exists everywhere (some areas focus on it more then others)and we all, men included, need to more aware of our surroundings.

There are also areas that you just don't go, because you don't belong and it's pretty obvious on what those areas are and who belongs and who doesn't.
These areas can be in any state, in any town.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Course this is just my opinion...but I think I live in a pretty nice area....well...hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen.....we're getting our very own WalMart!!! (the land was annexed some time ago..and should be completed by the start of our next school year)....oh I forgot to mention I live in Tega Cay, SC
Like I said "maybe not NC". I do agree. Tega Cay is nice.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just as long as you realize that doesn't mean they don't exist

I posted that I wouldn't go to WalMart at night. But that's because as a woman I realize I am more vulnerable then, no matter where I am. Most crimes against women are crimes of opportunity. I just make sure not to give any criminal extra opportunity. I am not signaling that particular WalMart out, I don't go to my neighborhood one at night alone either. If you use common sense you can often avoid being a victim. The evil in this world exists in every state, every city.

As I've said before on other posts, in any city whose population is approaching 600,000 there will be crime - it is inevitable. The smart thing to do is to make prudent choices and be aware of your surroundings, no matter where that is. Plenty of people are managing to work and shop at that WalMart and Lowes without being killed, raped and kidnapped every day. It is not any more unsafe than the WalMarts in other parts of town. Again, I think your preception is skewered by your personal experiences out there in LaLa land. You made your judgement on this being an unsafe WalMart by the number of young people you saw wearing baggy pants - among some other strange criteria. If you view it as unsafe, then just don't go there if you move this direction. But don't push your skewered impressions from a one time visit to a place on people who want an unbiased opinion.
Your misquoting me Quote me correctly now. I said that because of the 4 gang members "Bloods" to be exact that got into the rear of the car while a women was driving. They were wearing red hats, and white pants and red shirts. Re-read what I said.

If you doubt me and want to believe someone who wants to think their area is good. Then look no further move and don't read what the other poster said about his apartment being a bad area "drug lords" to live, its near there. If you choose to think I have an idea what I saw, call the local PD and ask them if the Bloods and Kings are the local gang in that area If so, then I was right in what I saw.

As for crime in a population of 500k. Yes, I agree, it will be there. But, that's not what the topic was. It was about if this was a good area or not. My answer is still no.

If there nice areas in NC/SC I saw "in my opinion" yes. Were there areas of no gang activity? Yes. Charlotte just isn't one of them. Again, in my opinion.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 09-11-2006 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
Also to add to what lovesMountains said, my DH actually argues with me when I want to go to the mall in the evening hours. The malls in my area are not crime ridden - just as a woman too, these are the types of individuals that are perceived to be easy prey..There was a woman attacked at the south park mall in nc, does that mean we should no go there - no, it means that malls and other areas, can be prone to this type of activity, dark, not a lot people at night etc - also, local people are not the only ones who go to the mall, malls and other large shopping areas or things, draws many people from all around but when these robberies and home invasions occur, common sense does tell us that these types of criminals are not going to low income levels. I think charlotte for some reason focuses more on crime then a lot of other areas, crime exists everywhere (some areas focus on it more then others)and we all, men included, need to more aware of our surroundings.

There are also areas that you just don't go, because you don't belong and it's pretty obvious on what those areas are and who belongs and who doesn't.
These areas can be in any state, in any town.
I agree with you on ALL points. But, the last for which I made in bold. It's in all areas, but were talking about NC for people who want to move there. Telling people the are is bad DOESN'T mean your house is bad, the car you drive is bad, just that the area is bad. I see SO MANY locals put up a defense, relax, the area ia bad and it is what it is. Its not a personal attack.

Again, there are many threads on this subject of people who live there and people who came there to check it out. Read up on them or fly out there. Then post back

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...pic-again.html
Check post - #3,12,15 is a good starting point.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...afe-areas.html
Check post - All

Old 09-11-2006, 06:40 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
[quote=TornadoAlley;87727]I agree with you on ALL points. But, the last for which I made in bold. It's in all areas, but were talking about NC for people who want to move there.

my point was no matter where you go, there are bad areas
Again I will use the word perception, it is was you perceive to be bad or good, etc and I understand people are reading this who want to move there, I am a college educated indivdual but again my point is/was and will always be, there is no place, including NC, where you will be insulated from crime

Yes we are talking about NC and crime and this thread is about all the crime and again my point is no matter where you go there is crime, NC is not a NO-CRIME state.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM

[quote=Weis02;87743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
I agree with you on ALL points. But, the last for which I made in bold. It's in all areas, but were talking about NC for people who want to move there.

my point was no matter where you go, there are bad areas
Again I will use the word perception, it is was you perceive to be bad or good, etc and I understand people are reading this who want to move there, I am a college educated indivdual but again my point is/was and will always be, there is no place, including NC, where you will be insulated from crime

Yes we are talking about NC and crime and this thread is about all the crime and again my point is no matter where you go there is crime, NC is not a NO-CRIME state.
Then I agree
Ps. If you do find such a place PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte