Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
But this all anectodal and some of what you claim is true, but I'd need more data to substiantiate. I don't think anyone living in the Philly suburbs or Charlotte suburbs takes crime lightly.

Here is two months of data from spot crime (Mar - May) for Philly and Charlotte:

Charlotte, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Charlotte - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Philadelphia, PA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Philadelphia - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Use up and down bar on left top to zoom in/out.

Comparisons can made but Philly's just a lot larger, denser and urban, even out in the burbs. I'm not certain how much of the data includes the burbs but most of Charlotte's crime is within the I-485 loop. Again, this might be crime stats for only city proper and not a good indicator of what's happening in the burbs...you and jp might have valid points but would like to see the data.
Not sure if this includes the suburbs but Philly is definitely a denser city and the suburbs are further out.

One thing I noticed is the assault charges in Philly vs Charlotte... Charlotte had 7 or 8 assaults that were verbal threats. Philly wouldn't even consider that crime stat worthy.

I get what they are saying about the burbs up north. They are further out and cut off from the city while most burbs in Charlotte are actually within the 485 loop.

I still disagree about the safety aspect though. I don't think anyone feels more unsafe in a Charlotte suburb vs a Philly suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You are talking about what "used to happen" in Philly vs what "is" happening in Charlotte.
jp & I were speaking of the burbs here. I stated what I see in the weekly paper here, which lists arrests. Is that current enough for you? This week the list had 9 from Kings Mountain & one each from Charlotte,Mount Holly, & Grover.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Not sure if this includes the suburbs but Philly is definitely a denser city and the suburbs are further out.

One thing I noticed is the assault charges in Philly vs Charlotte... Charlotte had 7 or 8 assaults that were verbal threats. Philly wouldn't even consider that crime stat worthy.

I get what they are saying about the burbs up north. They are further out and cut off from the city while most burbs in Charlotte are actually within the 485 loop.

I still disagree about the safety aspect though. I don't think anyone feels more unsafe in a Charlotte suburb vs a Philly suburb.
The burbs start at the city limit, no matter where you're talking about.

My front door lock was broken for 5 years in South Jersey. No one ever came in & took a thing. Everybody in my neighborhood (working class) left the house with windows open. No one was broken into. That went on for the 20 years that I lived there. Last winter some jerk in Kings Mountain was trying home invasions & yanked my bolted storm door open the same day that he did a nearby home invasion. Kings Mountain PD caught him.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
jp & I were speaking of the burbs here. I stated what I see in the weekly paper here, which lists arrests. Is that current enough for you? This week the list had 9 from Kings Mountain & one each from Charlotte,Mount Holly, & Grover.

again...

You were talking about what "used to happen" in Philly vs what "is" happening in Charlotte.

The "is" implies current, today, etc..

Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
again...

You were talking about what "used to happen" in Philly vs what "is" happening in Charlotte.

The "is" implies current, today, etc..
I stated that the crime used to be primarily in North Philly & stated that there was a bleed through to the poorer neighborhoods in West Philly & that after the projects were torn down in North Philly & the residents of the projects were dispersed the crime spread. I thought that that showed a transition from past to present. The crime map of the city proved that the crime had spread & still showed lower crime rates in most of the better areas.

I'm sorry if you didn't catch that I had indicated a transition from past to present.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
The burbs start at the city limit, no matter where you're talking about.

My front door lock was broken for 5 years in South Jersey. No one ever came in & took a thing. Everybody in my neighborhood (working class) left the house with windows open. No one was broken into. That went on for the 20 years that I lived there. Last winter some jerk in Kings Mountain was trying home invasions & yanked my bolted storm door open the same day that he did a nearby home invasion. Kings Mountain PD caught him.
Sorry to here that... but we could all leave our houses unlocked "back in the day" Growing up outside of Pittsburgh we would sleep with our front door open and the screen unlocked in the summer time. No problems. 2 years ago my Fathers house was broken into and a few other houses in the neighborhood were robbed as well. Times are a changing.

I lived in Philly (Center City) for 5 years from 2001 to 2006. No problems. A friend of mine lived up by King of Prussia because he didn't like the city and wanted to feel safe. His motorcycle was stolen.

Crime is random... it's also a different time and I doubt anyone leaves there house unlocked in S. Jersey in 2013.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I stated that the crime used to be primarily in North Philly & stated that there was a bleed through to the poorer neighborhoods in West Philly & that after the projects were torn down in North Philly & the residents of the projects were dispersed the crime spread. I thought that that showed a transition from past to present. The crime map of the city proved that the crime had spread & still showed lower crime rates in most of the better areas.

I'm sorry if you didn't catch that I had indicated a transition from past to present.
No worries.. I caught 20 years ago but I didn't hear present day so I had no clue when this occurred.

I think Charlotte also has a pretty low crime rate in most of the better areas.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry to here that... but we could all leave our houses unlocked "back in the day" Growing up outside of Pittsburgh we would sleep with our front door open and the screen unlocked in the summer time. No problems. 2 years ago my Fathers house was broken into and a few other houses in the neighborhood were robbed as well. Times are a changing.

I lived in Philly (Center City) for 5 years from 2001 to 2006. No problems. A friend of mine lived up by King of Prussia because he didn't like the city and wanted to feel safe. His motorcycle was stolen.

Crime is random... it's also a different time and I doubt anyone leaves there house unlocked in S. Jersey in 2013.
I got the lock fixed in 2008,when I put the house on the market. I have a friend who still never locks up & as long as I don't say the town, it's OK for the safety of any criminal dumb enough to try to break in. (She & her husband have more guns than most people in NC.)

Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
No worries.. I caught 20 years ago but I didn't hear present day so I had no clue when this occurred.

I think Charlotte also has a pretty low crime rate in most of the better areas.
About 20 years ago was when some chop shops opened in Camden & they would drive to the Cherry Hill mall to steal cars. That was on the news. They were caught. That was the one time when Camden crime bled out to the surrounding area in any amount. The occasional shoplifter at a mall is not exactly a trend.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM

428 posts, read 831,592 times
People from Ohio aren't Yankees, Yankees are people who eat pie for breakfast ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte