Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,099 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Long time reader, first time poster (I based a great deal of my Charlotte research off of this forum).

My girlfriend and I will will be moving into a condo in the 4th ward on August 1st. She is 23 and I am 25. We will be starting our first jobs since finishing graduate school in Florida, where we both grew up. I just have a few questions.

First, we need to purchase a washer and dryer. Where is the best place to purchase an inexpensive washer and dryer set? I've done some research on Craig's List, but I just wanted to see if there are any other options out there.

Also, is there more than one provider of electricity? Or is Duke Energy the sole provider? If there's more than one, which is preferred?

Last, I know there are several providers of cable/satellite and Internet in area. I am also aware that there has been a great deal of discussion on this forum as to some of their shortcomings. However, if you feel inclined, post some thoughts as to which service provides the best bang for your buck.

If anyone has any suggestions as to fun things that we should do in Charlotte or just any general suggestions for two 20somethings from South Florida bound for Charlotte, feel free to send them my way.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,288,673 times
I don't know if they are inexpensive but Best Buy is located very close to the fourth ward in the Metropolitan development. They probably have 0 interest payment plans. Congrats on moving to such a nice neighborhood - one of my favorites. There is also a Lowes in the South End (South Blvd) not far away either.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 PM

812 posts, read 1,905,664 times
I think there is also a scratch/dent Sears Outlet on South Blvd near 485. We got a few appliances from one when we lived in Pittsburgh and had NO problems.

Pretty sure Duke Energy is the ONLY electric company.

As far as tv--do you want to bundle? you could do a pkg. Also consider something like Windstream for your phone/internet. But depending where you live cable is prob. Time Warner. I use Direct TV so can't help much there.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,124,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte_gator View Post
If anyone has any suggestions as to fun things that we should do in Charlotte or just any general suggestions for two 20somethings from South Florida bound for Charlotte, feel free to send them my way.

Thanks for the help!
Like amusement parks? Carowinds is a good way to get your coaster fix.

Also visit the White Water Center. Lot's to do there. Great restaurant overlooking the rapids. Rafting, Zip lines, Kayaking, Mountain biking. The Canopy Tour is new this year.

The new Nascar Hall of Fame is in uptown if you are into racing.

Catch the Lynx Light Rail from uptown and ride to the East/West station or Bland St Station and find a good restaurant or live music act at Amo's.

Check out the NC Music Factory. Very close to Fourth Ward. Restaurants, bars, The Fillmore concert hall, an outdoor amphitheater, Comedy Zone to name a few.

Concord Mills is NC's #1 tourist destination. Kinda sad, but true. If you like shopping in huge mega malls, go there. They have a Nascar Speed Park there too.

I'm sure other posters can come up with more stuff.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,710,862 times
I second the vote for the White Water Center. Great place to spend the day or just go for live music and happy hour in the evening.

Are you renting our buying? If you are renting, there are places that will rent washer/dryers for very cheap. Your landlord should know their names.

Yes, Duke Energy is the only electric provider that I am aware of.

Time Warner Cable is the most widely used option. I have cable and internet through them and am very happy. My download speeds are actually higher than the advertised speeds which is unusual.

If you are looking for great barbacue, you have to go to Macs on South Blvd.: Mac's Speedshop - Beer Bikes BBQ in Charlotte NC

Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM

226 posts, read 482,886 times
My family and i are looking to move to the north Carolina area later this summer. we are still looking for an area in the state that has good middle schools. we now live in Florida and cant wait to leave the state.we are an interracial couple with school age kids and would like a safe neighborhood for our family we know nothing about the make up of the state.only what we read online. your input would be helpful to us. we don't want to live in the suburb or to close to the city anything in be streen would be great.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM

445 posts, read 1,165,619 times
I think Plaza Appliance also has an outlet center with floor samples and scratch and dents. There is also a Sears outlet across from Concord Mills. You might want to check into some of the 12 month interest-free deals that Lowe's and home depot have frequently ( just be sure to make the payment ON TIME).

Things to do - visit NODA ( short for North Davidson) - check out the Evening Muse & Neighborhood Theatre ( for live music) , Amelie's Bakery and Cabo Fish Taco restaurant, and frequent gallery crawls. More info @ ( NODA.org)

Bike on the greenway if you are the outdoorsy sort. (bikecharlotte.net)

The Levine Museum of the New south can give you some perspective on the history/culture of the area.

Take a day trip to the mountains and drive along the Blue Ridge parkway. In autumn, the leaves are gorgeous.

Go horseback riding at Latta Plantation Equestrian Center.

Welcome to the city!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte