U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 12,049 times

Advertisements

We moved into our house, located in a new development, last spring. The back of our property had a thick tree line with heavy brush behind it, in which our property line extended. It has been this way since last year. However, just last week, we got a letter from the HOA saying we must cut down the thick brush and maintain that area (even though it was an existing natural area upon completion of construction). We tried to argue this to the HOA, but it fell on deaf ears. We have 10 days to remedy the situation.

My husband rented a brush cutter and cut down the brush, but we're finding it impossible to rake up the weeds (they were very tall, thick weeds with branches - most of them taller than me). As of now, the area is cleared albeit the brush just lying on the ground. My husband plans to poison the area to avoid anymore weeds growing up.

Our backyard is fenced in front of the tree line, so the area in question is not used by us - the land really only served as a barrier between the neighbors behind us. We don't want to spend a ton of money to maintain it, and we are challenged with the rough/rocky terrain back there. Any suggestions or advice on easily maintaining the area in a cost effective manner that will please our HOA? I've included a picture for reference of the current state of the area (not sure why it was taken in B&W):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM

812 posts, read 1,651,814 times
Super duper extra strength Round Up and big huge trimmers to cut the stalks down.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmoney1 View Post
My husband rented a brush cutter and cut down the brush, but we're finding it impossible to rake up the weeds (they were very tall, thick weeds with branches - most of them taller than me). As of now, the area is cleared albeit the brush just lying on the ground. My husband plans to poison the area to avoid anymore weeds growing up.
seriously? It's IMPOSSIBLE to clean up the area? Come on. You just don't want to do it.

"Poisoning" the area isn't going to stop the weeds *and* it is going to expose you, your family and wildlife to potentially harmful chemicals.

It's really not rocket science. If you didn't want to keep it maintained, you shouldn't have bought the property.

PS there's no picture.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM

364 posts, read 1,044,102 times
When you bought your house- is the actual property line outlined in your documents into the brush? I know in our neighborhood it isn't-it's community natural property. However, in my parents home it is-but is left as natural state. Are there other homes with similar situation- do they maintain it? If they do- I would knock on their door and ask what they did....

Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,792,443 times
I'd rent a small front end loader and just strip it bare. Then you can replant it.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
When you bought your house- is the actual property line outlined in your documents into the brush? I know in our neighborhood it isn't-it's community natural property. However, in my parents home it is-but is left as natural state. Are there other homes with similar situation- do they maintain it? If they do- I would knock on their door and ask what they did....
Yea, our actual property line extended into the brush. At one time (when the land was developed), everything was level and clear. After we cut down the brush, we saw property stake markers. However, when our house was under construction and we moved in, the area was totally overgrown and thus we were under the impression that the area was a "natural area." Most other homes in the neighborhood either back up to woods, or their entire property was leveled. Our lot is unique in the fact that the tree/brush area backs up to other houses, but again, the area was left natural upon completion of construction.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
seriously? It's IMPOSSIBLE to clean up the area? Come on. You just don't want to do it.
Assuming, much? We did clean up a good portion of it. I said it was near impossible to RAKE up. It's just a slow process doing it by hand since most of the tall vines are of the prickly variety.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,148,345 times
Where's the picture?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,183,357 times
I'm more sympathetic that you're being told to clear it at such a hot time of the year. What yard projects I don't complete by June get put off until October. Those HOA folks are b@stards

Call around to some landscape or land clearing companies to get an estimate. They can probably come in with a Bobcat and a chipper/shredder and clear the area in less than a day. The last time we had anything done, the going rate was $65/hour - though increased fuel costs have probably boosted that. They can even leave the shredded brush for you to rake over the area as mulch.

Then have to HOA inspect it so you can tell them to FOAD.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:24 PM

905 posts, read 3,067,735 times
Go to Home Depot and purchase brush and weed killer "concentrate". If the cut stalks, and brush are still fresh and not scarred over apply the concentrate full strength over the stalks/cuts. It does not take much maybe a heaping tablespoon or two. That will kill it and prevent regrowth. If it has been several days since the clean up take loppers and recut/scar the stalks then pour the herbicide.

Try putting loads of mulch on the area once the weeds are killed. You can get mulch cheaply from the City of Charlotte. They even deliver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or