U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 AM

52 posts, read 233,513 times

Advertisements

I think this is a good poll to ask. What salary cut, what your job/professions is/ where you relocated from and if you came out ahead.

(SOmeone PM's me and said I shouldn't move cause the pay is 50% less. I live in Los Angeles and I can't see how I wouldn't come out ahead in NC. Cost of living in LA is second to Manhattan these days...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 19,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACAMOM View Post
I think this is a good poll to ask. What salary cut, what your job/professions is/ where you relocated from and if you came out ahead.

(SOmeone PM's me and said I shouldn't move cause the pay is 50% less. I live in Los Angeles and I can't see how I wouldn't come out ahead in NC. Cost of living in LA is second to Manhattan these days...)
I'm very curious to see the responses to this. I've read that it's more like 30% less salary. But I think it depends on what your job position is...if it's in high demand or not. Also, I don't know if the standard of living is drastically different ...sure the houses or much less but everything else seems to be the same price (cars,food,entertainment)....just my 2 cents.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM

182 posts, read 750,373 times
As a So. Ca native that is making the move to Charlotte myself in November, I think there are pros and cons to everything.
My current house payment in CA including taxes and insurance is $2300 per month.
My estimated payment in Charlotte will be $1700 including taxes and insurance.
We basically could have paid cash for the new house with the profit we will make an the CA home, but I'd rather put that in the bank.
I believe I will take between a $10-15K per year pay cut and with hopefully my husband tranfering, he won't take a cut at all.
I think with the added security of cash in the bank (more than we have ever had at any given time here) I think we should be ok.
We are looking forward to our move- good luck to you as well. It tookas about a year of visits, running numbers and plain getting up the nerve to move and leave our families behind. I think it is one of the best decisions as a family we have made .

Old 08-10-2007, 11:02 AM

367 posts, read 929,992 times
We sold our home in Portland Oregon in May for $150,000 more than we paid for it in 2003. I accepted a position and started working Charlotte in June as a Systems Analyst. They matched the salary I was making in Portland. My wife no longer has to work and stays home with our children We also just bought a 3000 sq foot home on a 0.33 acre lot for $100,000 less than we sold our home for in Oregon. It is loaded with upgrades as well. We are much better off here.

Last edited by sstarrx3; 08-10-2007 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-10-2007, 11:02 AM

241 posts, read 814,862 times
We're moving from Southern CA as well. We didn't get into a house when we first moved out to Socal so we won't be making any money off of selling a house, but we will be going from paying $1760/month in rent to paying $1860/month for a house that we will own. Everything else is pretty much the same as far as expenses go in North Carolina. As far as salaries...my husband will be transferring as well. I work in the insurance industry and the pay seems to be exactly the same as California from what I've researched.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,256,714 times
Relocating from my former IT job in the Piedmont-Triad area to Charlotte four years ago, I took about a $9,000 salary cut. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to make up for it yet.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:17 AM

28 posts, read 80,854 times
Salary went up roughly 25% from Cleveland to Charlotte in the IT-Business Intelligence field.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:21 AM

240 posts, read 935,394 times
I didn't take a pay cut. I'm in pharmaceutical reimbursement consulting which is probably not found around here often. I would be concerned if I did loose my current position, I don't think I would be able to find something comparable w/o moving out of the area (Raleigh-Research Triangle).

Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Emy

113 posts, read 361,084 times
My husband is in the architecture field. From Southern Calif to Charlotte he took about a 33% pay cut. We are able to afford way more here and have a much better quality of life. We didn't get in on the Ca housing market either. So we went from renting in Ca to owning a 3500 sq foot house in Union County.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:29 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,793,409 times
I make 2x as much here as I did in Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or