U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 17,864 times

Advertisements

Ok here's my big dilemma that's weighing on me...

Anyways I want to move to NC, I have friends in Charlotte offering a place for free until I get on my feet...but I don't have a job lined up...though I've spoken with plenty of recruiters...

My current position ends in 2 months where i'm at in Ohio(youngstown), which i recently moved back from Tampa....and I hate being in Ohio

Anyways my dilemma is to move without a job or wait until something comes up.

I'm in the IT field but probably not in a high demand job....Systems Admin/Desktop Support...

So what would everyone do? Anyone ever move without a job before?

I have money saved up probably enough to get by for 3 months with bills and whatever expenses...I'm just worried that I won't find a job...doesn't have to be in the IT field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Ok here's my big dilemma that's weighing on me...

Anyways I want to move to NC, I have friends in Charlotte offering a place for free until I get on my feet...but I don't have a job lined up...though I've spoken with plenty of recruiters...

My current position ends in 2 months where i'm at in Ohio(youngstown), which i recently moved back from Tampa....and I hate being in Ohio

Anyways my dilemma is to move without a job or wait until something comes up.

I'm in the IT field but probably not in a high demand job....Systems Admin/Desktop Support...

So what would everyone do? Anyone ever move without a job before?

I have money saved up probably enough to get by for 3 months with bills and whatever expenses...I'm just worried that I won't find a job...doesn't have to be in the IT field
If you have money saved up I'd say go for it. Sometimes it's easier and you have more options if you already live in the area. If you have good qualifications, I can more than likely get you a desktop job through my brother. But he is only looking at local people.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 PM

4,097 posts, read 10,177,401 times
So, will you be jobless in 2 months anyway?

Is there any way you can work on getting a job now and maybe taking a trip down here before you move?

We did not move until my DH found a job, but I didn't get a job when we moved.

Dawn

Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM

101 posts, read 272,458 times
IMO.... I would try and save as much as you can the next two months, while looking online and calling some companies for the job you want. after that two months move on down and if you havent found anything yet then just try to find something in the meantime till you do. Its a leap of faith but you at least have a place to stay for free for a little bit.

Good Luck

Old 08-10-2007, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 17,864 times
I'll be coming down the 24th - 26th of august...I've had some contact w/ a few people and of course they want locals. I of course use monster/dice/ etc daily and have talked to a lot of recruiters...so i'm fairly certain i wouldn't be out of a job long when i get down there.

Carolina Guy can you have your brother contact me? kforbs126@gmail.com Or anyone can contact me about any jobs...

I would take any kind of job first when i get down there, i have 6 years of retail management along w/ IT work...

Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 PM

550 posts, read 1,620,553 times
If you know your job ends in two months, I'd start looking now. No reason you can't find something before you move.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:05 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,494,826 times
Personally I'd go for it! After your job is over in those two months. Here or there in Ohio---what's the difference? You don't like it there, you have a place to stay here until you get on your feet...Go for it!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 PM

237 posts, read 777,373 times
I agree, if you position is ending, and since you dont like the area. Id say go for it. Many Charlotte companies will only llook at resumes with Charlotte addys on them. Since you have a place stay. The best thing to do would be to balnket your resume everywhere. Id do monster, career builder, and go to the charlotte chamber of commerce, and then get the websites of all companies in charlotte. There is alot of competition with a lot of people moving to the area. Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:27 AM

63 posts, read 219,715 times
If you have a place to stay for free and your job is ending, then yes I would move. I would be looking for jobs now, but still move if one hasn't happened. It is easier to find employment once you are in the area or you can take whatever you can get while looking for the right career. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or