Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

"A federal jury has ordered Taser International Inc. to pay $10 million to the family of a Charlotte teenager who died after a police officer shocked him with a Taser."

The Mecklenburg County medical examiner said Turner’s heart was disease-free and attributed the teen’s death to “agitated state, stress and use of conducted energy device.”

With tight budgets I wonder how this lawsuit going to be paid for.
Or prevent CMPD tazing our youth in future

Local Family Wins $10M Wrongful Death Suit - News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
What do you mean? The corporation will pay for the suit, has nothing to do with CMPD.

Why should they be prevented from tasing the yoots? The results will net better than to be shot with a .40 caliber. They want to act stupid and act like a thug then pay the price.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
This

"The Charlotte-Mecklenburg officer shocked 17-year-old Darryl Turner for more than 30 seconds during a March 2008 incident at a northeast Charlotte Food Lion. The teenager fell to the floor during the altercation and then died."

Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
But the Officer nor the PD were the ones sued....

Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
CMPD settled with the family last year for $500K because the officer held down the trigger for 37 seconds instead of 5.

Today's award is against the device manufacturer and says they were negligent on the danger of death.

I imagine the size of the award will be pared down quite a bit and I also bet Taser will state they never instructed any PD to hold the trigger down for 37 seconds.

But if they didn't warn for what happens when the device is abused, they will be on the hook for something.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Was the kid really a thug? From what I read he had an argument with his supervisor at work... I didn't know thugs had jobs?

Also heard another guy died last night after being tased on a platform.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,979 times
Yeah, the CMPD tasered another guy to his death at a Lynx station last night. He was alleged to be a woman beater.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 AM

359 posts, read 591,948 times
The Taser is considered a non-lethal device

Apparently this will have to be researched and reviewed due to what is going on

I was tased and I didn't die

Also, for those asking about the device being abused...

People have volunteered for 1 minute+ taser hits and they had no adverse side effects

Lose-lose for CMPD with anything

Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
What do you mean? The corporation will pay for the suit, has nothing to do with CMPD.

Why should they be prevented from tasing the yoots? The results will net better than to be shot with a .40 caliber. They want to act stupid and act like a thug then pay the price.
These mirror my thoughts. While I hate to see anyone (yes, even a criminal) lose their life....let's face it....the kid didn't HAVE to get tasered. He could have complied with the officer.

Also, to those that have seen the surveillance footage of this incident....it appears the taser had like ZERO effect on the perpetrator. It looked like he walked right out of the store. Weird.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
The Taser is considered a non-lethal device

Apparently this will have to be researched and reviewed due to what is going on

I was tased and I didn't die

Also, for those asking about the device being abused...

People have volunteered for 1 minute+ taser hits and they had no adverse side effects

Lose-lose for CMPD with anything
In most people, with healthy hearts, the jolt from a taser should do nothing more than what it is intended to do. In some individuals with known or unknown cardiac history, the taser can convert the heart rhythm to ventricular fibrillation- where the lower chambers of the heart quit contracting, and just quiver. This is a survivable rhythm, if the person is provided CPR and defibrillation in a timely manner.

I support CMPD's nonlethal use of the taser, but I feel anyone trained to use it should also be trained in CPR and AED. In both cases (last night's as well as the young man at Food Lion), the amount of time it would take for ANY first responder to get to the patient would be too long. Typically there is severe and irrepairable brain damage after 4-6 minutes of pulselessness. I can almost guarantee MEDICs' response time was >6 minutes in both cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte