Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,065,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsd View Post
im not sure what you mean by the taxes statement. Math is math..there is significant savings in taxes between LI NY and NC....

i pay $8800 for an 1800 sq ft house on LI with no land in a mediocre school district.

I haven't seen a house in either Raleigh or Charlotte for 350K or under with taxes more than 2500/year.

Agreed on the beach statement.......that should have been under his "bad" list. I'm at Robert Moses Beach on LI in 15 minutes. 3 hours is killer. It will be Lakes and Pools...giving up the beach will suck.......driving 3 hours to go to a beach is insane.

karl...it is cheaper here...on that side there is NO doubt. Taxes are lower , housing is lower..and I'm STILL coming back to New England...its not the same..there is nothing like New England. ...oh did I say its hot as hell here for the 2000th straight day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 PM

35 posts, read 60,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
karl...it is cheaper here...on that side there is NO doubt. Taxes are lower , housing is lower..and I'm STILL coming back to New England...its not the same..there is nothing like New England. ...oh did I say its hot as hell here for the 2000th straight day?

that's because NE is NE. NY is NY and NC is NC. NE is not NC and NY is not NC.

How long did it take you to realize that NC is not NE? Did you have to move there to realize it was hotter there then in NE? What kind of Homework did you do before you made the big move? How many trips did you make to NC before the big move?

NE is just as miserable...if not more than NY in terms of the freezing cold we get for 5 months.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
that's because NE is NE. NY is NY and NC is NC. NE is not NC and NY is not NC.

How long did it take you to realize that NC is not NE? Did you have to move there to realize it was hotter there then in NE? What kind of Homework did you do before you made the big move? How many trips did you make to NC before the big move?

NE is just as miserable...if not more than NY in terms of the freezing cold we get for 5 months.
So be it..come on down..give it a go. I tried it and it didnt work for me. That doesn't mean it wont work for you.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,642,348 times
Quote:
Unless I'm missing something big, the only "taxes" lower in NC are property taxes. Yes, housing is much cheaper, but is that a 'tax'?

There is tax on food and clothes here. Gasoline is much more expensive in Charlotte than the suburbs of NYC. You also have to pay tax on your vehicle every year.....bottom line, you are "nickel and dimed" alot......correct?

Not complaining, just pointing out something that I see repeateded alot on threads....

Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Unless I'm missing something big, the only "taxes" lower in NC are property taxes. Yes, housing is much cheaper, but is that a 'tax'?

There is tax on food and clothes here. Gasoline is much more expensive in Charlotte than the suburbs of NYC. You also have to pay tax on your vehicle every year.....bottom line, you are "nickel and dimed" alot......correct?

Not complaining, just pointing out something that I see repeateded alot on threads....
I see your point Jack, but the property taxes are MUCH lower, thats the thing... You are right , all the other taxes are about the same. As for gas more expensive here? No way...More expensive there. Connecticut has property taxes too.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:

I disagree on the gas thing... I was just up on LI and the cheapest gas I found was paying cash to get $4 / gal. Most of the gas stations on the primary roads were well over $4.50 / gal up there.

You also have to consider insurance and utilities - the differences between those in NC vs. the tri-state in general percentage wise is ever bigger then the property tax difference.

Property tax, insurance, and utilities add up to a huge nut of your monthly expenses as a homeowner.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I disagree on the gas thing... I was just up on LI and the cheapest gas I found was paying cash to get $4 / gal. Most of the gas stations on the primary roads were well over $4.50 / gal up there.

You also have to consider insurance and utilities - the differences between those in NC vs. the tri-state in general percentage wise is ever bigger then the property tax difference.

Property tax, insurance, and utilities add up to a huge nut of your monthly expenses as a homeowner.
Wasn't talking about LI but I believe you.....

I know NJ is in the 3.40's right now...

Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I see your point Jack, but the property taxes are MUCH lower, thats the thing... You are right , all the other taxes are about the same. As for gas more expensive here? No way...More expensive there. Connecticut has property taxes too.
NJ is different than CT and LI in that respect....gas is much cheaper in the Jersey burbs..

Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Wasn't talking about LI but I believe you.....

I know NJ is in the 3.40's right now...
Oh yeah - form experience I gased up going through Jersey. I think I paid 5-10 cents less then southern Meck and just about what I pay cutting over to SC. Poor Jersey... The cheap gas is probably the best thing going for them. Christie is doing his best to completely finish off and destroy the state for good.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 PM

539 posts, read 1,491,056 times
Quote:
im not sure what you mean by the taxes statement. Math is math..there is significant savings in taxes between LI NY and NC....

i pay $8800 for an 1800 sq ft house on LI with no land in a mediocre school district.

I haven't seen a house in either Raleigh or Charlotte for 350K or under with taxes more than 2500/year.

Agreed on the beach statement.......that should have been under his "bad" list. I'm at Robert Moses Beach on LI in 15 minutes. 3 hours is killer. It will be Lakes and Pools...giving up the beach will suck.......driving 3 hours to go to a beach is insane.
No the beach thing should not be on the bad, let me explain. As you know it takes a good 2 hrs just to get off LI just to begin your trip. Here you have a nice 3-3 1/2 hr drive to either the beach or mountains. Yes I know Robert Moses or another beach can be had in a shorter drive for some. Neither is a day trip but can easily be a nice relaxing weekend trip.
Of course this is just my opinion but I remember those fall trips Upstate and what should be a 3 hr drive would wind up being a 5 hr drive due to just getting off the Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte