Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have had whole threads on this type of solicitation in years past. It's the same ole thing . . . nothing new - and yes - don't let 'em in and don't buy the junk they are selling.

Right. But it is always good to make new folks aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Sadly, this means nothing in Charlotte. Unless your community is gated, people are allowed to go door to door in spite of "No soliciting" signs. The best thing you can do is get a description of the vendors, the vehicle they're driving, etc and report it to CMPD. Generally an officer will come out and ask for ID, but otherwise the most you can do is ask them to leave your property.
CMPD has come out to our neighborhood and asked solicitors to leave. I definitely take down every license plate of solicitors I see here and report them. I'd like to think, although I'm sure it's wishful thinking, that the solicitors would get sick of people like me reporting them all the time and stop coming around.

I'm actually surprised that any company still goes door to door. It seems like a really inefficient way to get business. I can guarantee you that if you come to my door the only thing you're going to do is **** me off, and you'll never see my business.

As for leaving fliers in mailboxes, I guess that's considered soliciting, but we don't have any rules about that here. I don't mind that as much, as long as the people who do it realize that that junk doesn't even make it in the house. It goes straight into the recycle bin and they are simply wasting their time and money.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
Right. But it is always good to make new folks aware.
Oh I am sorry if I sounded dismissive. That is not what I meant at all - just meant we have checked this out in the past - same type of situation - folks staying in hotels, selling teaching/tutoring stuff, knowing the name of the schools (and one poster even said - the person knew the name of her CHILDREN! <eeek>)

I just meant - folks have every reason to be concerned and not get involved as it had been checked out before.

Sorry if that came off wrong, Jayhawks.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:22 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

As for leaving fliers in mailboxes, I guess that's considered soliciting...
Mailboxes are off limits, per federal law. Paperboxes are not. Just an FYI.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM

109 posts, read 349,858 times
Same exact thing and same girl described appeared in our neighborhood a couple weeks back. She was on a bicycle and was here for 2-3 days. We only have approx. 100 homes, so she must have hit all of them! She started early in the morning, I saw here on a Saturday around 8 a.m. My spouse let her in as she thought she was a girl from the neighborhood - she did look very similar. She provided a long story and was in our home for an hour. She was just leaving when I got home and I made it clear that strangers aren't allowed in our home...ask for identification at the door and if we don't know you, you're not allowed in!

I've called police twice in the past when I've been home as one of these individuals spent more time looking between the houses than going to the front door. I felt he was "scoping" windows, etc.

I grew up leaving our home unlocked and our cars....those days are over in most areas and the news has no shortage of bad situations if you're not overly careful.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Mailboxes are off limits, per federal law. Paperboxes are not. Just an FYI.
Yes, that's what I meant. It's all a mailbox to me. Honestly, most of what comes in my mailbox goes directly into the recycle bin too along with the maddening solicitations. We have considered blocking ours off, but our neighborhood newsletter comes in it.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,138 times
If you block off your paperbox, they will stick it to the outside of the mailbox or just throw it in the yard. I finally put a paperbox in so at least I don't have to look at the crap until I'm ready and they don't break the flag off my mailbox.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhclt44 View Post
Same exact thing and same girl described appeared in our neighborhood a couple weeks back. She was on a bicycle and was here for 2-3 days. We only have approx. 100 homes, so she must have hit all of them! She started early in the morning, I saw here on a Saturday around 8 a.m. My spouse let her in as she thought she was a girl from the neighborhood - she did look very similar. She provided a long story and was in our home for an hour. She was just leaving when I got home and I made it clear that strangers aren't allowed in our home...ask for identification at the door and if we don't know you, you're not allowed in!

I've called police twice in the past when I've been home as one of these individuals spent more time looking between the houses than going to the front door. I felt he was "scoping" windows, etc.

I grew up leaving our home unlocked and our cars....those days are over in most areas and the news has no shortage of bad situations if you're not overly careful.
your husband needed to be reminded strangers aren't allowed inside?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
your husband needed to be reminded strangers aren't allowed inside?
I think HE is the husband, and HE was letting the woman who had been invited in know that she was not welcome.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Yes, that's what I meant. It's all a mailbox to me. Honestly, most of what comes in my mailbox goes directly into the recycle bin too along with the maddening solicitations. We have considered blocking ours off, but our neighborhood newsletter comes in it.
By the time I walk up the driveway from the mailbox, I've sorted the mail into what I keep and what gets tossed (most) into the recycling bin in the garage. And our letter comes in the paperbox as well.

I don't get bothered over what's in the boxes, except the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte