Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
He's not putting a bad face on Charlotte, that's how it is!
But several other people in this thread have pointed out, that's NOT "how it is". I don't have a dog in this fight - not interested in bars, don't expect Charlotte to be everyone's cup of tea - but one person talking about their experience doesn't make it "how it is". It's apparent a variety of experiences is "how it is". Charlotte really is what you make it. If you don't want to put any energy into finding your community here, you can't blame the city. It would be great if, when I opened my front door, there were liberal homeschooling families all around us, but there aren't. I had to make connections, which led to other connections, which led me to folks I love to be around. Who aren't all liberal homeschoolers, go figure.

I could make a post telling people how conservative and conventional "Charlotte" is - but my Charlotte is not that way, because I've worked to make my Charlotte what I want; I've worked to make friends and find my community here.

I know there are several active meetup groups that would fit what the OP is looking for - but, because all of the people in those groups aren't concentrated in one bar or neighborhood, it's too much effort for the OP to find them. At least, that's the way the posts sound to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM

55 posts, read 76,418 times
so much butthurt in this thread. lose the chip folks!

I have lived in Charlotte on and off (grad school, short job stints) for coming up on 30 years now.

Charlotte is a homogenized living experience - due in no small part to the stage of development that we're in. Most of the growth has been established by commercial chains, and not by diversity growth over a long period. It's too small and young to have well established, highly visible niche groups for anything exciting, the cultural scene is rather narrow and limited, etc. Over time, it will get better, but we've got to develop some maturity, some sophistication, and some bad habits that we somehow turn charming (the way that many northerners are defiantly proud of some of the less attractive aspects of their burgs), before we're going to have the variety that many singles are looking for.

For now, Charlotte is a nice, fairly safe, but rather generic (high level of suburban sprawl) place to raise children. It's not a town geared for the single life, though you can carve one out with some determination.

Getting butthurt about it wont change the truth.

That said, I'm a dad, and I dont mind it too bad - I have some things I like doing - I just wish the restaurants were more diverse and the airwaves weren't filled with generic corporate run stations - but that's just me. Just seems like the only excitement we regularly experience is that of the scandolous or shockingly abhorrent variety...

Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
that is your opinion... I have been in Charlotte for a year and I have no problem finding spots with young attractive available women....

But then again I'm married so I'm not pressed to find them. Maybe if I was single and hard up I would view the city differently.

Everyone I know who comes to visit says Charlotte has a lot going for it. If 2 people go out to a party and one gets a ton of numbers while the other gets none I think they will have different perception of how fun the party was...

It all depends on the person IMO. He gave his opinion and you agree with his assessment but others do not. Nothing wrong with different perspectives... I think it gives viewers a true sense of what Charlotte can and can't be.

If the OP goes to the spots I suggested I'm sure he will have a good time if he is open minded... he won't run into thousands of women and party traffic but I think that's a good thing. Who wants traffic after a night on the town?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM

55 posts, read 76,418 times
When's the last time something exciting happened here that didn't involve some kind of scandal, or something like a murder or abduction, etc?

When's the last time you heard or saw some news about this town that really got you excited? Was it the Panthers Super Bowl run EIGHT YEARS ago?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final49er View Post
When's the last time something exciting happened here that didn't involve some kind of scandal, or something like a murder or abduction, etc?

When's the last time you heard or saw some news about this town that really got you excited? Was it the Panthers Super Bowl run EIGHT YEARS ago?
We were awarded the DNC. I don't particularly care, but a lot of people are excited about it.

That's all I could come up with in 20 seconds of thinking.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I went to the NoDa First Friday in July... it was very exciting. The street was packed and there were bands playing outside. Tons of people out having a good time.

Cam Newton has me excited about the Panthers and I'm a Steeler fan (I've been excited 3 of the last 6 years! LOL). I also went to the NBA draft party at the stadium and had a good time....

Went to the Prince Concert, a few NBA games... I get free tix from work so it's a blast and I'm close to the court.

I'm not sure what you mean by something we can all get excited about because different people like different things. Getting the DNC Convention is exciting to me.. it's a national stage for the city.

Murders, scandals and abductions aren't exciting.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
We were awarded the DNC. I don't particularly care, but a lot of people are excited about it.

That's all I could come up with in 20 seconds of thinking.
It's very exciting for Charlotte...

I listed off a few things that excited me...

I'm curious to know what excited other cities residents on a regular basis. New Yorkers never get excited so once you get past them unless it's sports related it's rare for a whole city to be excited over something. It's all based on preference. Wanting a city to excite you just isn't possible IMO.

You have to meet the city half way... Charlotte isn't a single girl who knocks on your door and begs you to come out and have fun. You have to go out and find it... or make it happen.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
People do it on every local forum, because others come in complaining that a particular city isn't something that it never claimed to be. Keith doesn't have to like Charlotte, no one said he did. What Keith needs to understand is:

1, Charlotte isn't NYC, Miami, etc., and therefore comparing us to them negatively doesn't make sense. This has been repeated several times with numerous appropriate analogies. I could kick my cat because it's not a dog, but that's not really fair to the cat, is it? It never claimed to be a dog.

I just love snarky analogies.

2. Keith seems to want something that doesn't really exist, at least here: a crowd of single thirty somethings that act like twenty somethings, or even college kids. There have been numerous reasons given for this.

3. Keith moved to an area that is woefully inadequate for any version of what he's looking for. There's almost nothing around Cotswold as far as nightlife goes, and very little population density.

I could not possibly care less about what Keith wants, or his lifestyle, or anything else about Keith. He's welcome to dislike Charlotte. But putting a bad face on Charlotte that it doesn't deserve is a concern. So far, Charlotte isn't what Keith is looking for. That's not Charlotte's fault. That's just the way it is.
30s is not.old at all. Especially when your single there are lots of citiew where u will see people in there 30s party. Charlotte is just a family oriented city. Its not unusual to party in your 30s especially if your single

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 07-27-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM

74 posts, read 295,179 times
Humm.... On a similiar but different note, I am a 35 year old single woman wanting to settle down- and am thinking stronly about moving to Charlotte as I can afford to buy a home there.

But is this a good area to meet singles? Are most people married by my age? There must be some single men, or divorced men around in Charlotte....

Right?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,979 times
Quote:
....It's too small and young to have well established, highly visible niche groups for anything exciting, ....
Charlotte was incorporated in the 1770s. It's older than the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte