U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM

13,162 posts, read 13,187,659 times

Advertisements

First, if you want to interweave responses around snippets of other posters responses to you, change the color of the font.

You bemoan the lack of females your age in the bars. Wake up & smell the coffee. Unless you are looking to cradle rob or do one night stands, you're aging out of that. Get a hobby & join a group to persue it.

So Baltimore to Richmond is friendlier. That's the MidAtlantic. Philadelphia is friendlier that Baltimore & DC. The heart of the MidAtlantic is Philadelphia to Richmond. Philadelphia is where to go for history.

NC is not the Deep South anymore than VA is. It's the southern end of the MidAtlantic & it's the South all rolled up together. The natives are just as friendly as in the main part of the MidAtlantic, but you're in a city that's majority transplant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM

180 posts, read 174,453 times
Again I ask what activities are people looking for that are not here? Obviously deep sea fishing or visiting the statue of liberty do not count. I don't claim Charlotte the best city ever but it's got a lot going on for many different people.
There is a bar for everyone. By music taste, sports allegiances. There are cougar dens, plenty of jersey shore douchebags at the epicenter, yuppies at selwyn ave pub, hipsters in NODA/Plaza Midwood. Southend, Dilworth, University...

Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 PM

30 posts, read 79,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Would love to know where the OP is going out? Moving to Cotswold and complaining that there are no singles is a bit like going to work at Disneyworld and complaining that there are too many kids...
Anywhere and everywhere. This is not a review of Cotswold, but a review of the city as a whole, as contrasted with other cities.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
So Baltimore to Richmond is friendlier. That's the MidAtlantic. Philadelphia is friendlier that Baltimore & DC. The heart of the MidAtlantic is Philadelphia to Richmond. Philadelphia is where to go for history.

NC is not the Deep South anymore than VA is. It's the southern end of the MidAtlantic & it's the South all rolled up together. The natives are just as friendly as in the main part of the MidAtlantic, but you're in a city that's majority transplant.
I'm glad that you admit that the Philly-to-Richmond corridor is friendlier. Incidentally, pretty much everyone in DC is a transplant and it's plenty friendly. So I don't see how you can blame the fact that Charlotte is less friendly on its transplants. I think Charlotte is less friendly because Charlotte is less friendly. It just is what it is. Every city has its own personality and that's Charlotte for you.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
@keithdoxen - I can see why people are getting mad but nothing you said was wrong. It was good that you said so people can realize how good/bad the city is. These are the things that people in all cities need to know about but people get offensive about it for some reason.
It's almost as if they think that somehow I'm going to change my mind all of the sudden and realize that I actually love Charlotte. I wonder how many of them are in real estate and are afraid of negative reviews of Charlotte on a site like this, given that people tend to come here when they are deciding where to move. In any case, they probably aren't making Charlotte seem very inviting to those considering coming here.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM

769 posts, read 1,435,210 times
I've always found the members of this forum to be very up front in sharing with would-be relocators that Charlotte is a very family oriented city, so I don't really think that's new news to this forum. They've also been very helpful in listing things that are available to do around here, so if it isn't sufficient for someone, again, not new news on this forum.

For the record, I'm a single, 45 year-old woman who has lived here for almost 5 years now, and I've never had any trouble finding things to do - many with singles in their early to mid 30's as part of the group(s), including dining out, evenings at the Belk or Duke Theaters, concerts, festivals, even lawn mower races at a county fair. No, you're not going to find them in the ratios you would in DC or NY, but again, nobody's tried to hide that this is a family oriented area.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 21 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,374 posts, read 4,683,863 times
As the old folks say "Keep On Livin...you'll be old one day...". Give it about 5 years and some of those negatives will become positives.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
For the record, I'm a single, 45 year-old woman who has lived here for almost 5 years now, and I've never had any trouble finding things to do
I'm glad you said that, because I have noticed that there seems to be a good-sized over-40 crowd here looking for something to do. Most of the activities that I've attended on Meetup.com when looking for groups to join and things to do seem to skew to the 40-and-up crowd. I think the dead zone in Charlotte is the 25-40 age group, which tends to be hunkered down at home, running a family and raising children. I'm not claiming that anyone "hid" that from me, but I don't see why it's an issue that I'm putting that out there for those who might be looking.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
As the old folks say "Keep On Livin...you'll be old one day...". Give it about 5 years and some of those negatives will become positives.
LOL. Those are words of wisdom right there.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM

13,162 posts, read 13,187,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdoxen View Post
I'm glad that you admit that the Philly-to-Richmond corridor is friendlier. Incidentally, pretty much everyone in DC is a transplant and it's plenty friendly. So I don't see how you can blame the fact that Charlotte is less friendly on its transplants. I think Charlotte is less friendly because Charlotte is less friendly. It just is what it is. Every city has its own personality and that's Charlotte for you.
Reread what I wrote. I said that Philly is more friendly than Baltimore & DC. I also said that NC is just as friendly as the primary MidAlantic region. I live 30 miles outside of Charlotte & people are very friendly here. I have no problems when I go into Charlotte, but then I'm not barhopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte