Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,420 times

Advertisements

AMEN Liz!!!!

The OP is trying to stir up trouble.

I am also from out west and have NEVER EVER heard the "n" word uttered in public in 20 YEARS in Charlotte.

I do however hear it in West Coast rap lyrics....all the freakin' time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 05:21 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
I spoke to someone over the border in SC and she said she hears the 'N' word several times a week.
Where? In her home? Among her friends? Or when she's out among perfect strangers? I can honestly say that in the 11 years I've been in Charlotte, I've never heard anyone called the "N" word. I'm not saying that it can't happen but it is not common practice.

Quote:
I haven't noticed any more/less discrimation/bigotry than anywhere else I've lived.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM

52 posts, read 259,118 times
I just posted a question in response to something I heard. It was my impression you would never hear something like that in Charlotte, so I was surprised. Everyone's posts, thank you, are just confirming what I originally thought. Southernlade, I'm moving so I can provide a more proper childhood for my young son with a backyard to play in, beautiful nature around him, etc etc. I understand some natives feeling wary of all the transplants, but I can also tell you, ironically, that is the very same reason I am having to move away from my home. Everyone has moved here, investors added to the surge in rea estate prices, and now I am having to leave the city I love. So I can understand how you might be frustrated with the influx. BUT, I think it is something that is happening all of the country, and please don't hold it against me for wanting the best for my son....

Old 08-11-2007, 05:31 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
So I can understand how you might be frustrated with the influx. BUT, I think it is something that is happening all of the country, and please don't hold it against me for wanting the best for my son....
We won't...as long as you understand that we are NOT CA, ok? We don't WANT to be CA, LOL.

I hope you read the link I provided. I might give you some insight in your new home. And help you feel at home.

Welcome to NC. Liz

Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 PM

Thank your for the welcome Liz ANd no, I'm not expecting or even want NC to be just like LA, I just want to make sure it's some place I can acclimate and not feel too homesick (as I've been here almost 15 years)

Old 08-11-2007, 06:36 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
I just want to make sure it's some place I can acclimate and not feel too homesick (as I've been here almost 15 years)
Well, at one time you were new to LA as well, then...had to make new friends there as well.

Having a child will definitely help you make friends...it a great icebreaker. Having a job will help as well...unless you end up having nothing but work in common with your coworkers. (I've seen that happen too.)

Just be open to new experiences and new things. Liz

Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACAMOM View Post
Glad to hear. I spoke to someone over the border in SC and she said she hears the 'N' word several times a week. That freaked me out. Are there really still people like that out there??? And if so I hope we never cross paths...
Okay LACAMOM...do you have any idea how offensive you are being to the folks that choose to live in Charlotte and the surrounding areas? Come on..I grew up in LA County and lived there most of my life..and I can tell you that it is not the Kumbaya moments that you wish to portray.

You were also trying to make a point that LA is not totally like what is portrayed in the media and movies....yet do you not think this goes both ways????

There are many good people here that will gladly take the time to help you...with your questions...but for you to come on here and want these fine folks to dispel every vicious rumor, or horrible story you might have ever heard is just not fair..and it's making me rather embarrassed that I'm originally from LA.

Oh and just for point of reference I am located in SC and have yet to hear the "N" word in the 3 1/2 years that I have been here.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 PM

I'm not trying to be insulting or offfensine to anyone, I'm very sorry you took it that way. I didn't say living in LA was perfect or Kumbaya in any way, but it IS a melting pot and for the most part a cohesive melting pot. I didn't THINK Charlotte was anything like portrayed in the movies, then I had a conversation with someone who told me some strange stuff. So I went on the board just to ask a simple honest question (isn't that what these forums are here for????) If someone wrote on the LA board asking if there's truly gangs everywhere and do you have to carry a gun with you (which by the way people thinking of moving here ask all the time!) I would not take offense to it at all, rather I would ease their fears and tell them my experience/opinion and mention the bad areas in south central to try and avoid. I'm on the forum for information, not to pick a fight or have someone pick a fight with me.ok?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACAMOM View Post
I'm not trying to be insulting or offfensine to anyone, I'm very sorry you took it that way. I didn't say living in LA was perfect or Kumbaya in any way, but it IS a melting pot and for the most part a cohesive melting pot. I didn't THINK Charlotte was anything like portrayed in the movies, then I had a conversation with someone who told me some strange stuff. So I went on the board just to ask a simple honest question (isn't that what these forums are here for????) If someone wrote on the LA board asking if there's truly gangs everywhere and do you have to carry a gun with you (which by the way people thinking of moving here ask all the time!) I would not take offense to it at all, rather I would ease their fears and tell them my experience/opinion and mention the bad areas in south central to try and avoid. I'm on the forum for information, not to pick a fight or have someone pick a fight with me.ok?
That's definitely what forums are for- it's about the best peer to peer support network out there. However, the way you asked it (and after reading your response I know you didn't mean it the way it came across) was just so "in your face". It's like saying "I hear your a heavy drinker"- there's no who, what, where- no context at, just defend yourself.

Anyway, now that the proper context has been established, I'm sure everyone will help you in anyway they can.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
LACAMOM- I don't understand your questions, I really don't.

To me, everyone who lives in LA seems like their fakes and phonies...

Is that a fair stereotype? You'd probably disagree w/that, right?

You get my drift??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte